Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been improving in IDPA using my Glock 22. 40 caliber is not ideal for the sport BUT that was my best match AND I got a lot of time / training shooting my front of the bedroom safe HD pistol.

I've since joined IDPA and I will most likely end up in a qualifier in a qualifier this month to set my class. The organization tries to keep a national standard 90 round scenario so that qualifying is as uniform as possible throughout the organization.

I had a SIG 250C that was a nice gun BUT the long, fairly trigger made it a poor match for IDPA so I sold that, mags & holster and scratched up enough to buy a new (3G) Glock 34. It's then competition 9mm. Got it yesterday, found a good Serpa holster today (also fits my 22) and will head to the range tomorrow with some of each 9mm ammo that I have in the cave. I'll take a carry 9 along to test against. The specs on the gun are impressive as is its record in competition. I'll hope to see a slight jump in my scores - the gun will be better than me for a while.

Spec page: Glock

Pics from the shoot will follow!

7205350142_412e2d3c67.jpg 7205352098_4425946f0f.jpg 7205350330_470254eefb.jpg 7205350990_97279840d4.jpg 7205352368_4c3138f7ed.jpg
1)In Serpa - no Mag 2)full size G22 on right - hehe 3) extended releases X2 4) milled slide less weight 5)g22 on R

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
34's are nice. I'll own one someday.

Congrats on yours

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dude that is sweet, I still want a 35 but the 34 would be more cost effective. I guess its a toss up to which you prefer and why.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Can't go wrong with a G34 for competition. Great out of the box race gun. Consistent, accurate, reliable and durable as hell. I just put around 7000 through my Gen3 17 and it still looks new. I have the advantage of living close to Smyrna so I am going to drop it off for a tune up and a couple of upgrades. It still cycles fine but I would like a armorer to give it a once over, some fresh springs and an extended mag release. I was using Wolff springs but actually went back to stockers. They run fine. You will really like the trigger pull and the reset on that gun. 9mm is still pretty cost effective so you can practice without going broke.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put every kind of 9mm that I have though it today. It's a gem. All I did was bench rest ammo for two hours - 300+ rounds. The gun performed flawlessly. I'll post some targets and more info tomorrow. Some surprises. Phew!

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Very nice photos. What kind of phone did you use?

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Nice long barreled Glock ! Can't wait for the range report..... ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice photos. What kind of phone did you use?
The first shot with the holster is with a nice mid-level digital camera. The rest are all iPhone - all with Photoshop assist!

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took a sample of everything that I had in 9mm FMJ & JHP. Shot just over 300 flawless rounds. The gun performed perfectly. The first few shots did surprise me with the snap from the added barrel length - don't have a chrono but wow. At 5.32" the G34 has 3/4" on my G22 and well over an inch (more on most) on my longest 9mm pistols past or present. It's also light for the size.

7217315828_dbf8ff61df.jpg
For the ammo testing I used a basic rest provided by the range - it will keep things steady but it's no vice. Targets are provided by the range - two 8" side-by-side bulls eyes.

7217314498_a448b44045.jpg
Target #1 at 7 yds. just to warm up - hehe - ran 3 mags through to check working order. I felt like I was sitting next to the target.

Remington UMC 115 FMJ on the L, Herters brass 115 FMJ on the R (new to me) boxes marked 'by Sellier & Beloit' - from Cabela's at $9.99 per 50 this turned out to be one of the pleasant surprises of the day.

7217312122_bc3e14fbf4.jpg
Moved to 15 yds. for most of the testing. I won't bore you with all the targets but this one is notable. Federal 115 JHP on the L and their 'budget' packaged American Eagle 115 JHP on the R - TOTALLY out performed the name branded stock. I'll want to check this for batch consistency but - WOW!

Another surprise was 'Winchester Winclean' 115 JHP totally outperformed the standard white box offering.

At the end of the 2 hour session (outdoor range with manual cease fire target changes) I was a bit hand and eye weary but had some end of stock / end of boxes so I moved out to 25 yds. and shot off hand.

7217310784_b73c60db52.jpg
This target is 31 rounds of Magtech 115 JHP - fairly typical of how the day ended.

Take away:
- Love the gun, as a Glock owner the learning curve was about nil.
- I found a couple of BARGAIN 115 FMJ rounds that shot quite well - American Eagle, Herters and I'll look at Winclean prices too Had a half box since who knows when?!).
- I want more 124 and 147 ball to test for matches but I'll most likely have to buy from the net. I was shooting 180 in my G22 to lessen the snap and will want to look at that route for this gun as well. The JHP that I had in those weights were not stellar performers SO I'll be looking at the whole picture of ammo at those weights.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
My experience with 9mm's is that they take longer to deburr a barrel than some of the other calibers. Don't know why, but it always seems to take 5-600 rounds before I start getting the best accuracy out of 9mm. My CZ75 took a thousand rounds. You can help the process along by lapping the barrel. I do it with a patch wrapped around a brass brush and liberally coated with Permatex Valve Grinding compound. Fifty or sixty long strokes (all the way from end-to-end) through a barrel is usually sufficient. Then make sure you get ALL the valve grinding compound off of it - it's some abrasive stuff, and you don't want any left in a functioning weapon. You don't normally want to lap a barrel until you've got 300 rounds or so through it, so you're right there in the prime zone for a good payback on a lapping. If you've got those tiny little burrs in the barrel (which is probable) then you should see an improvement in accuracy after lapping. JAT

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks dbeardslee - not a process that I was familiar with and may explain why some quality rounds performed poorly - that and the nut behind the trigger! Much appreciated.

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
When I lap a barrel I insert the rod from the chamber end, and I don't let the brush with the patch completely exit the muzzle. I push it through in one smooth stroke until the brush starts to exit the muzzle, and then I pull it back. The one thing you DON'T want to do when lapping is to start sawing on your crown, and by inserting from the chamber and not letting the brush exit the muzzle completely it's not likely to. If I push too hard and it goes all the way through, I unscrew the brush and pull the naked rod back out through the chamber end. I don't try and pull the whole thing back through in that scenario. I also count one pass up and back as one stroke, and I do about fifty strokes.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I just sold my G34 a couple of months ago. I can say it was an excellent shooter and that it never malfunctioned. I enjoyed shooting it, but after I stopped shooting GSSF matches I never took it out of the safe and so I sold it. The longer sight picture is nice and they are very accurate! Congratulations on a great gun! Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts