Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a PF9 after reading so many reviews of happy people with this firearm. After my poor CS experience with a rep at KEL TEC that basically told me I was trying to scam them I was turned off to KEL TECs and will probably never buy another one. But the PF9 is great in idea but just doesn't do it for me. The gun is so much poly that it feels fake. Shoots good and it is going to be a good CCW but eh....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shoots good and it is going to be a good CCW but eh....
You say it shoots good and will be a good CCW piece. That is what it was designed for. Besides having too much poly, what do you not like about it? Were you having FTF/FTE problems? Why did you contact CS?

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Right, all the pistols in my sig have mostly polymer parts. I thought you were complaining about FTF, FTE...

Congrats on the great PF9!

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
My PF9 is what it is - it's a small package 9mm with a really long, stiff trigger pull and alot of kick. It's .88 inches thick, the narrowest regular production 9mm made. It's not a range gun, it's a nice concealed carry option that gives me big caliber punch.

I've never had to call customer service on it. What was the issue?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You say it shoots good and will be a good CCW piece. That is what it was designed for. Besides having too much poly, what do you not like about it? Were you having FTF/FTE problems? Why did you contact CS?
Contacting CS was unrelated to the PF9, I was having issues with my PLR22 and I basically had to diag. my own issue and to resolve it I had to buy a new clip because the whole process was a PITA and the person I dealt with was impossible.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My PF9 is what it is - it's a small package 9mm with a really long, stiff trigger pull and alot of kick. It's .88 inches thick, the narrowest regular production 9mm made. It's not a range gun, it's a nice concealed carry option that gives me big caliber punch.

I've never had to call customer service on it. What was the issue?
No no CS issue with the PF9, I guess I was just expecting people to kind of describe the gun better. Long trigger pull, small space for finger to actually pull the trigger. I guess I just bought into the hype and it didn't really meet what I thought it was going to be. No safety on the gun to speak of, the slide is very very stiff, it is a good CCW but if that is all I was going for I might as well carry my PT111 or PT140 or my .38 etc etc..I just thought the gun would meet up to more than just CCW capability.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I owned a PF9 with mostly FTE issues. I'm sure some of it was me limp wisting when I first started shooting it. Once I learned it and it continued to have moderate malfunctions I dumped it. I have no tolerance for malfunctions with a CCW piece. Maybe with a range hog but not the gun that is supposed to protect my life. I may one day give the LC9 a try since it is a refined version of the PF9, however if it is a CCW semi auto 9mm I will spend the extra on a Kahr PM9, or Walther PPS. I owned the G26 which was a little too brick like, but ultra reliable (they need a single stack version). I am currently happy with my snubbies for CCW.

·
Premium Member
11,130 Posts
I carried my PF-9 today. Two extra mags in the hip pocket. You really do forget it's there.
Same with the 709. I just carry one extra mag though.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I would never buy a gun based on someone elses description. No matter how much they liked the gun. Hand-size, grip strength, finger-length, and a host of other factors come into play.

I own both a P11, and a PF9. Both have proven reliable, and accurate. The P11 has a trigger pull length that is just short of 12"!! However, I KNEW that going in, and was prepared for it. The PF9, in my example, has a much shorter, and smoother, trigger pull. I also have zero problems with the slide manipulation, or the strength of the recoil spring.

As far as the amount of polymer on the gun, I don't understand how Kel-Tec mislead you. Anyone who looks at the gun can see how it's made. If you didn't like that, why buy it? There are plenty of other guns out here to choose from.

Besides, any gun that "Shoots good and it is going to be a good CCW" seems to be working out, as this IS what it was designed for.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
My neighbour has this gun (PF9). Its lightweight. But I like my 111 Pro better. You may want to look at the Bersa Thunder 9mm- if you want an all metal frame. I have not shot one, but the feel pretty good. Weight is up there though- 23 oz.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts