Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a gunshop yesterday looking around because my wife told me she would buy me handgun for my birthday. I have had a hankering for a XD SC in 9mm or .40 but unfortunally she really did not want to spend that much over 300.
I had been looking for awhile and every time i picked up the PIII 9mm it felt so nice in my hands.
Well i offered one of my 10/22s for trade (Im a 10.22 nut) got 175 for it and whalla 252 out the door tax and everything. well not out the door I wanted a .40 so it should be here tommorow. So i think im getting a brand new PT140(Correct me if im wrong)
I have a few questions.

1. Mostly im picking this up for my CCW main carry. I have seen many posts on the sites on these handguns. I usually plink with my Colt targetsmen, and Cobra .38s snub so i might have to get used to the new sites is it a hard learning curv?

2. I see alot of people replace the sites with nice nitesites or the fire ones. Does this change it from a 8 site to a 6?(Hopefully i understood what i read about 8 and 6)

3. Ive seen a few posts about using the 24/7 .40 mags for the pt140 and it sounds like i can but i would like to make perfectly shur as i looked at a post where somone had to take one to the gunsmith to get it taken out.

4. One of the ways i get ammo is a local gunshop where a reloader sells ammo at a very nice price and gives $ off if you bring in spent casings off his already low price. In the few cases where a reload caused a break in a gun it has voided warrentys on those guns. Is this the same for Taurus? i see that reloading is encurages in the FAQ. Im just a bit scared because besides my 10/22s this will be my first hangun i have purchased.

Thanks much i was happy to find out that there is a forum devoted to Taurus owners. I frequent rimfirecenteral alot.
Tommorow around 1 cant come soon enough!!!

Will
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Welcome from the Land of Lincoln. I'm a PT92 guy myself but here's my $.02.
BillyBeamon said:
1. Mostly im picking this up for my CCW main carry. I have seen many posts on the sites on these handguns. I usually plink with my Colt targetsmen, and Cobra .38s snub so i might have to get used to the new sites is it a hard learning curv?
There's a learning curve with every pistol but if you practice good mechanics the curve is not steep. Good grip, proper finger placement on the trigger and pulling the trigger smoothly go a long way towards flattening the curve. While they won't make it happen on their own consistancy will help you bring the POA and POI together.
BillyBeamon said:
2. I see alot of people replace the sites with nice nitesites or the fire ones. Does this change it from a 8 site to a 6?(Hopefully i understood what i read about 8 and 6)
The "8", or Heine sight, refers to the placement of the dots on your sights. For proper sight alignment the dot on the front sight is stacked on the dot in the rear sight and resembles the numeral 8. When using Heine sights the dot of the front sight is placed directly over the intended target instead of at 6 o'clock relative to the intended target. I've never changed sights on my pistols, but I would think changing the sights=changing POA.
BillyBeamon said:
3. Ive seen a few posts about using the 24/7 .40 mags for the pt140 and it sounds like i can but i would like to make perfectly shur as i looked at a post where somone had to take one to the gunsmith to get it taken out.
I don't know about interchangeablility of the magazines for these models but I know Taurus does use the same magazines for different pistols on occasion. The two factory mags that came with my 92 are stamped with "PT92/99/917 CAL.9mm - MADE IN BRAZIL". I would ensure the magazine you use was intended for use with your pistol.
BillyBeamon said:
4. One of the ways i get ammo is a local gunshop where a reloader sells ammo at a very nice price and gives $ off if you bring in spent casings off his already low price. In the few cases where a reload caused a break in a gun it has voided warrentys on those guns. Is this the same for Taurus? i see that reloading is encurages in the FAQ. Im just a bit scared because besides my 10/22s this will be my first hangun i have purchased.
Unless you are using insanely hot reloads I don't see how it would void Taurus's warranty. Click here for the web page that explains their warranty.

I hope that helps, I'm sure others out there will be willing to help if I didn't answer your questions fully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I will be spending my lunch picking it up and heading to the range for hopefully 50 shots. Lucky i am the range and store are both within a mile from my work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Sounds better than the way I'll be spending my lunch. Good shooting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KK all 15 shots i got to shoot on my lunch were great. wish i had more time! ahh well. After the first 5 shots being about 5 inches low i ajusted and kept everything in my 6 inch target
I love it
my hand is used to 9mm i will have to get used to this .40
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
402 Posts
Glad it went well for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
congrats on your new gun and i hope it serves you well for years and welcome from Southern Oregon
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top