Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the pistol as a CCW. Put about 75 rounds through it and could not get through a magazine without a jam. It either jammed upon trying to load the first cartridge or if that was successful, jammed again on one of the successive rounds. Tried both HP and FMJ. Both magazines had the same problem. Finally sent it off to Taurus. They had it 10 weeks and I finally got it back a few days ago. They adjusted the extractor, adjusted the slide and replaced the Captive Recoil spring. In the past few days I have fired both FMJ and HP and used three different manufacturers: Winchester, Federal, and Remington. All with the same results. Never got through a magazine without it jamming. Pretty depressing. Not sure what the next step is. Guess Ill try one of the suggestions I read and try firing more rounds through it before sending it back. Overall I like the pistol its just that I am head of security at a large church and I need to rely and trust the weapon to protect the Pastor and congregation in a worst case scenario. I have resorted to carrying the trusty ole S&W 357 Mag. Any suggestions or ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
103 Posts
HI Jake, I am sorry to hear about the problem with your new PT-745. I just bought a new PT-745 last Thursday and took it to the range Saturday and shot 100 rounds of Winchester White Box specials from Wal-Mart and never had one FTF or FTE. I did read about someone who had the problem you discribe and I believe he bought new Wolf 1911 mag springs and installed them in his 745. ( he had to cut a few coils off ) and said that took care of his problem. This may be a cheap fix and you might not have to send it back for service work. Hope this helps abit. Be Safe, Dave

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Jake, welcome to the forum! The first thing I do with a new gun is field strip it and give it a thorough cleaning. Guns that come right out of the factory are wiped down on the outside, but the internals usually have machine grease, or oil, and gunk and grime in them just from going through the building process. You want to make sure that is all cleaned off. I know it sounds silly, but a deep first time cleaning can resolve quite a few issues.

If that doesn't work, then find a new magazine and see if that resolves the issue. I have seen many FTE and FTF caused by a weak mag. Mdbullet makes a good suggestion, one I have read has worked for others, so you could give that a try. But before going through all that, give your mags a good cleaning just to ensure nothing is "gunking" them up.

The next step would be to tune the extractor. I don't know anything about the PT-745, so hopefully somebody here would be able to give some input on how to do that. It might be just enough to break out some metal polish and polish it up a little (that and the feed ramp) but very lightly so as not to remove metal.

You have probably already did this, but double check the ejector and make sure it is in good shape, too.

Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to chime in, I just traded in my PT145 for a PT745 to make it slightly more comfortable to carry. I also went from a blue to stainless model and am certainly more impressed with the metal work on the stainless. I have not been to the range yet, and may not make it until next Friday or Saturday but am looking forward to it. I will report then as I will be throwing mostly the cheap stuff (Blazer Brass) through it.

I had many similar problems with my PT145 - a variety of FTFs mostly. I found a great article on the KTOG (KelTec Owners Group) forum about initial prep of a new gun. I cant find the article link right now, but I believe it is in their FAQ section and has a ton of pictures and very nice descriptions of all the steps you should take on prepping a new firearm for its first outing. Some of the steps probably should be skipped unless you can see/feel rough spots.

Following those steps did help my gun to have fewer FTFs, but I still had some problems and finally decided to trade it in and get the smaller grip and HOPEFULLY get rid of the few problems I was having. As stated, I'll be back shortly to describe the results.

BTW, is the Taurus catalog/website just really out of date, or do they just still have pictures of older generation Millenniums? The pictures still show "PRO" after Millennium. Also, having not fired it yet, is the newest gen 745 DAO or is it DA/SA? I am prepared for either experience on the firing line, but the documentation is somewhat contradictory.

Thanks

·
Registered
846 Posts
Gents you are all right as the fine group of Mods. or Admins. in this forum have said many times cleaning the FIRST thing is the most impotant thing you can do. You can find some good post in this forum on just that. My 2cents is that would stop 90 something percent of the 1st complaints on Taurus. I understand this makes people mad and they don't want to admit to this and it's easier to blame the gun than admit to a mistake. Just like me I'll tell you it was all my ex wifes fault, lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Texas shooter (and others)

I see you own many stainless. This is my first stainless (other than a Ruger Mk II .22). Any differences in maintenance you have found for SS vs. Blue?

To emphasize, on initial tear down of the firearm I found the SS version to be SIGNIFICANTLY better in terms of machine markings and roughness than my blue PT145. I don't know if that is just luck of the draw or if SS tends to machine better but I am thrilled by the appearance and feel of the SS PT745.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another question:

Any recommendations on a mag pouch for the PT745 (single stack).

I tried out a FOBUS holster yesterday and was very impressed with the feel and fit. Any other recommendations for both holsters and mag pouches are appreciated (Christmas is coming).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I too am experiencing an inability to load a round from the magazine. My problem is related to the recoil spring assembly and it does not contract completely. I have phoned Taurus, but they will not send a replacement recoil spring assembly until I send them mine. I think I will take another users suggestion and order a replacement, then send my recoil spring assembly back in.

Rotating the button protruding from the end of slide - the recoil spring assembly - will get things back in action. However, if the spring rotates on it's own, you could have a single shot!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.