Taurus Firearm Forum banner

new owner m85

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  NativeTexan 
#1 ·
i recently became the owner of a model 85ss 2' revolver. it is my first taurus hand gun ever. this gun has never been fired. it only cost me 200.00 . what can i expect for reliabilty for conseald carry. i prefer owb holsters but my j frame holsters wont work. i do have a 40 yr old jay pee holster that does work. coments please

#2 ·
I too only have 1 Taurus, a model 85UL Police Model. I bought mine used and once I took the side plate off and cleaned the internals, I am surprised at how smooth the action is. While I haven't tried any of my j-frame gear for it, my Mika pocket holster does fit it and while I prefer either pocket or IWB carry, I haven't run into any problems. One thing I will add is that the supplied Taurus rubber grips won't work with speed-loaders, if you plan on using them. I managed to find a pair of Uncle Mikes boot grips on e-bay and it made reloading much easier. If yours have the wood grips then you will have to try using speed-loaders for yourself.

Regards

#4 ·
My M85SSUL has had probably 7K rounds through it in 12 years since I got it and it's as tight and accurate as ever. It will shoot 3" 25 yard groups off a rest routinely and that's better than necessary for self defense. As mentioned, it has a very smooth, light DA, better than most J frames I've fired. I carry mine in a pocket or a generic J frame IWB holster. Not sure it'd fit a custom J frame holster, not sure it wouldn't.

The grips mine came with work with either HKS or Safariland speed loaders quite well. They're a boot grip design.

#5 ·
I had a Taurus 85 UL until my wife decided she wanted it for HER carry gun. :rolleyes:

It is a very easy to carry blaster, that will shoot as well as you do. Nope, they will not fit in a J-frame holster, but many holster makers make one for the 85. Lots of options. OWB, IWB, fanny pack, pocket, ankle and probably some I can't think of off hand. My replacement, a J-frame ( sorry guys, it was a gift from my son ), usually winds up in a DeSantis pocket holster.

#10 ·
That 85 will do exactly what you want it to for it's intended purpose. They are a workhorse carry gun. They are so small and light, you will not begrudge carrying it. I presently own one, had another in the past. I theink the only thing that's more appealing is a 650 .357. Which I just ordered today.
(YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!)

#11 ·
NativeTexan said:
My M85SSUL has had probably 7K rounds through it in 12 years since I got it and it's as tight and accurate as ever. It will shoot 3" 25 yard groups off a rest routinely and that's better than necessary for self defense. As mentioned, it has a very smooth, light DA, better than most J frames I've fired. I carry mine in a pocket or a generic J frame IWB holster. Not sure it'd fit a custom J frame holster, not sure it wouldn't.

The grips mine came with work with either HKS or Safariland speed loaders quite well. They're a boot grip design.

Tell me about the front sight???

#12 ·
Fired my new 85 ULBH for first time today at indoor range.
Impressions:

• Far more accurate than my S&Ws

Kicks like a mule, just like my S&Ws

I love it. It will do alternate duty with my 642/640 battery for pocket carry. It fits in both my Bianchi and Disantis pocket holsters. I am going to put on Pachy Compacs though. I find they fit my hand better. I don't have any problem in pocket with concealment of these grips and as I use speed strips I find no problems in reloads either.

#13 ·
Those 2" Taurus are great guns, it will shootas well as any out there. As far as lasting, well it's lifetime, and if taken care of it will make it.

#14 ·
Norfdet said:
I too only have 1 Taurus, a model 85UL Police Model. . . . One thing I will add is that the supplied Taurus rubber grips won't work with speed-loaders, if you plan on using them.
I have an 85UL, but I haven't purchased or tried speed loaders yet. What about grips would cause (or not cause) a problem with speed loaders? I am looking for some direction so I know what to look out for whenever I try/buy speed loaders.

Thanks,
NewGunOwner

#15 ·
Once you open the cylinder, sometimes, the grip is too wide to allow you to align the speed loader. Most grips have a little recessed area, to allow the speed loader a straight shot into the cylinder. You just need to know if the recessed area is there ot not.

My stock grips would allow a speed loader, but the loader rubbed against the grips. It was touching, but not blocking. The boot grips I now have clear without touching.

#17 ·
FHBrumb said:
Tell me about the front sight???
When I got the gun, I did not like the shiney front sight and I'd always wanted a Keith style elevation wire installed in a sight for light load shooting and long range reference. So, I found a guy in Florida (lost the shop address) to dovetail and install this sight. I had to file it down a bit to regulate it, but it hits dead on now and the elevation wire regulates my light practice load. Side benefit is I can adjust for windage now. Was pretty close anyway, but now it's dead on. The whole mod cost me 85 bucks, worth it to me. One COULD install a tritium front bead this way, too. :D

#18 ·
Stick with HKS J frame speed loaders. Some will advise Safari Land comp 1s, but I had one and it broke inside a year just being in my pocket. :rolleyes: HKS loaders are a tad slower, but much more rugged and quick enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.