Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently became the owner of a model 85ss 2' revolver. it is my first taurus hand gun ever. this gun has never been fired. it only cost me 200.00 . what can i expect for reliabilty for conseald carry. i prefer owb holsters but my j frame holsters wont work. i do have a 40 yr old jay pee holster that does work. coments please

·
Registered
25 Posts
I too only have 1 Taurus, a model 85UL Police Model. I bought mine used and once I took the side plate off and cleaned the internals, I am surprised at how smooth the action is. While I haven't tried any of my j-frame gear for it, my Mika pocket holster does fit it and while I prefer either pocket or IWB carry, I haven't run into any problems. One thing I will add is that the supplied Taurus rubber grips won't work with speed-loaders, if you plan on using them. I managed to find a pair of Uncle Mikes boot grips on e-bay and it made reloading much easier. If yours have the wood grips then you will have to try using speed-loaders for yourself.

Regards

·
Registered
234 Posts
pap1105 said:
what can i expect for reliabilty for conseald carry.
I just bought a new Model 65 .357. Most accurate gun I have ever shot. I would expect your M85 will be a very accurate and reliable gun.

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
My M85SSUL has had probably 7K rounds through it in 12 years since I got it and it's as tight and accurate as ever. It will shoot 3" 25 yard groups off a rest routinely and that's better than necessary for self defense. As mentioned, it has a very smooth, light DA, better than most J frames I've fired. I carry mine in a pocket or a generic J frame IWB holster. Not sure it'd fit a custom J frame holster, not sure it wouldn't.

The grips mine came with work with either HKS or Safariland speed loaders quite well. They're a boot grip design.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had a Taurus 85 UL until my wife decided she wanted it for HER carry gun. :rolleyes:

It is a very easy to carry blaster, that will shoot as well as you do. Nope, they will not fit in a J-frame holster, but many holster makers make one for the 85. Lots of options. OWB, IWB, fanny pack, pocket, ankle and probably some I can't think of off hand. My replacement, a J-frame ( sorry guys, it was a gift from my son ), usually winds up in a DeSantis pocket holster.

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
Yep, just buy the holster to fit a J frame Smith and Wesson.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That 85 will do exactly what you want it to for it's intended purpose. They are a workhorse carry gun. They are so small and light, you will not begrudge carrying it. I presently own one, had another in the past. I theink the only thing that's more appealing is a 650 .357. Which I just ordered today.
(YEE-HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
NativeTexan said:
My M85SSUL has had probably 7K rounds through it in 12 years since I got it and it's as tight and accurate as ever. It will shoot 3" 25 yard groups off a rest routinely and that's better than necessary for self defense. As mentioned, it has a very smooth, light DA, better than most J frames I've fired. I carry mine in a pocket or a generic J frame IWB holster. Not sure it'd fit a custom J frame holster, not sure it wouldn't.

The grips mine came with work with either HKS or Safariland speed loaders quite well. They're a boot grip design.

Tell me about the front sight???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fired my new 85 ULBH for first time today at indoor range.
Impressions:

• Far more accurate than my S&Ws

Kicks like a mule, just like my S&Ws

I love it. It will do alternate duty with my 642/640 battery for pocket carry. It fits in both my Bianchi and Disantis pocket holsters. I am going to put on Pachy Compacs though. I find they fit my hand better. I don't have any problem in pocket with concealment of these grips and as I use speed strips I find no problems in reloads either.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Those 2" Taurus are great guns, it will shootas well as any out there. As far as lasting, well it's lifetime, and if taken care of it will make it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Norfdet said:
I too only have 1 Taurus, a model 85UL Police Model. . . . One thing I will add is that the supplied Taurus rubber grips won't work with speed-loaders, if you plan on using them.
I have an 85UL, but I haven't purchased or tried speed loaders yet. What about grips would cause (or not cause) a problem with speed loaders? I am looking for some direction so I know what to look out for whenever I try/buy speed loaders.

Thanks,
NewGunOwner

·
Registered
70 Posts
Once you open the cylinder, sometimes, the grip is too wide to allow you to align the speed loader. Most grips have a little recessed area, to allow the speed loader a straight shot into the cylinder. You just need to know if the recessed area is there ot not.

My stock grips would allow a speed loader, but the loader rubbed against the grips. It was touching, but not blocking. The boot grips I now have clear without touching.

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
FHBrumb said:
Tell me about the front sight???
When I got the gun, I did not like the shiney front sight and I'd always wanted a Keith style elevation wire installed in a sight for light load shooting and long range reference. So, I found a guy in Florida (lost the shop address) to dovetail and install this sight. I had to file it down a bit to regulate it, but it hits dead on now and the elevation wire regulates my light practice load. Side benefit is I can adjust for windage now. Was pretty close anyway, but now it's dead on. The whole mod cost me 85 bucks, worth it to me. One COULD install a tritium front bead this way, too. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,455 Posts
Stick with HKS J frame speed loaders. Some will advise Safari Land comp 1s, but I had one and it broke inside a year just being in my pocket. :rolleyes: HKS loaders are a tad slower, but much more rugged and quick enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts