Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 513. I didn't take a close look at the store when I picked it up because I have never had an issue with firearm QC. Attached is a photo of the breech end of the barrel. Obviously looks like the barrel didn't make it through QC checks. Mashed up on the end and metal making it into the barrel. Sending it back today for repair -- turn around time quoted at 4 months. Not quite sure what they will do with it. I thought I would give Taurus a chance but I think I learned my issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well that definitely takes the fun out of a new purchase. Hopefully they will turn it back around quickly for you. I am surprised this one made it out the door without someone catching it.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Things not even faced off square. Looks like it missed a machining operation. It NEEDS to go back.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
24,848 Posts
I would take it back to the LGS you got it from.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Honestly, it don't look pretty but if the gap was O.K. and it was square to the cylinder I think a couple of cylinders of ammo through it would blow most of that off there. What wasn't I think I'd clean it up myself. Rather than hassle sending it back. But no, you shouldn't have to do that.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
I saw a shotgun that looked similar years ago, it was one a guy cut off the end of the barrel using a hack saw.
maybe it was suppose to be a judge?

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
My eyes are not as good as they used to be, but it looks to me to be some sort of coating that sloughed off.. Is it actually steel or can it be smoothed with emery...??

Reactions: Caca_Dau

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I am surprised this one made it out the door without someone catching it.
How often does one have to see this kind of thing before one ceases to be surprised and accept it as the norm? 4 months to be repaired? It is a brand new gun! If it's going to take that long to fix it it should simply be replaced immediately!

It amazes me that we as Americans can actually be conditioned to accept this kind of treatment!

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update... Taurus now says that my 513 needs a new cylinder. Unfortunately they don't have stainless cylinders in stock because the 513 is out of production. What a miserable company. No date for repair given.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
This is one of the reasons i no longer own/buy Colt. I had a DSII Missing a pin and hole to put it in. The barrel shroud rotated when fired. The same day i bought the Official Police re-issue. The action locked up. A smith opened it up and it was full of metal shavings.

I always inspect thoroughly now, to include a field strip if i am able.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts