Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to first give props to Brownells. I ordered this hammer on Thursday, it shipped on Friday, and made it from Iowa to my mailbox in Virginia by today... and this was via USPS first class mail. I guess props are in order for the USPS too.

For the back story on why I replaced the hammer, see this thread:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5265.0

I chose the Nowlin hammer for two reasons: 1) I respect the Nowlin name and 2) the description of this hammer indicated that very little, if any, final stoning needed to be performed. Since I'm no gunsmith, I wanted as close to a "drop in" hammer as I could find. Here is the Brownell's link to the Nowlin hammer I purchased (654-217-201 201-PRO NOWLIN 1911 HAMMER):
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9590&st=654-217-201&s=23907

After replacing the hammer I'm happy to report that it passed all function/safety tests and the trigger pull is crisp and clean. I'll be hitting the range on Wednesday to really put it through it's paces.

In summary, I am almost glad the infernal hammer lock failed within 24 hours. Now I don't have to worry about it. Good riddance.

Obligatory pictures:


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the hammer lock, but I sure like the shape of your new one a lot better. So it looks like it clears the beaver tail ok. I might have to check this one out. I've never done much work on a 1911 though. I guess there is always a first time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
texastbird said:
I haven't had any trouble with the hammer lock, but I sure like the shape of your new one a lot better. So it looks like it clears the beaver tail ok. I might have to check this one out. I've never done much work on a 1911 though. I guess there is always a first time.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, before replacing the hammer on this gun, I had never worked on a 1911 before either. I have a RIA 1911 but had never even detail stripped it before, only field stripped it. Using the disassembly/assembly instructions posted at the top of this forum, in addition to a couple of other resources, it was a piece of cake. The only tricky part, for me, was putting the sear/disconnector/sear lever back in so that the holes lined up. It took me about four tries before I got it right. Considering it was the first time I've ever detail stripped/reassembled a 1911, I think I did pretty good in that it only took about 20 minutes, even fumbling with the sear lever. This is a very, very simple gun to take down and put back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
how hard was it to install that hammer? I have the AR version and the hammer safety acts up every now and then. I NEVER plan on using the safety so putting a regular hammer on would be great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gray_Wolf said:
IMO PT1911 looks better with that hammer! so I'm guessing the hammer was drop in?
Yep... all I did was drop it in. Granted, I haven't range tested it yet, but it certainly passed all the safety and function tests with flying colors. The trigger feels as good or better than it did with the factory hammer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nathan03 said:
how hard was it to install that hammer? I have the AR version and the hammer safety acts up every now and then. I NEVER plan on using the safety so putting a regular hammer on would be great.
It was not hard at all. Although I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I see no reason why anyone would find it difficult to swap the hammer. With that said, I did hold on to the factory hammer in the unlikely event that I want to sell the gun I can send it back to Miami with the original hammer for repair. I don't see that happening though...

Again, read my previous post about not having ever detail stripped a 1911 before this one. So easy even a caveman could do it. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
387 Posts
the habit said:
I'd like to first give props to Brownells. I ordered this hammer on Thursday, it shipped on Friday, and made it from Iowa to my mailbox in Virginia by today... and this was via USPS first class mail. I guess props are in order for the USPS too.

For the back story on why I replaced the hammer, see this thread:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=5265.0

I chose the Nowlin hammer for two reasons: 1) I respect the Nowlin name and 2) the description of this hammer indicated that very little, if any, final stoning needed to be performed. Since I'm no gunsmith, I wanted as close to a "drop in" hammer as I could find. Here is the Brownell's link to the Nowlin hammer I purchased (654-217-201 201-PRO NOWLIN 1911 HAMMER):
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=9590&st=654-217-201&s=23907

After replacing the hammer I'm happy to report that it passed all function/safety tests and the trigger pull is crisp and clean. I'll be hitting the range on Wednesday to really put it through it's paces.

In summary, I am almost glad the infernal hammer lock failed within 24 hours. Now I don't have to worry about it. Good riddance.

Obligatory pictures:





Picture fail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
I have been thinking about replacing my hammer since I got the gun... I just don't see the need for the half cock safety!!! And to me, it just adds one more potential issue.

And as for the way it feels, when I took my gun completely apart, cleaned and lubed it, it felt 10 times better than out of the box, so I'm sure yours feels a ton better now!!! This is definately going to be my next upgrade, and soon!!! Thanks for the info!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
SonicR1 said:
I have been thinking about replacing my hammer since I got the gun... I just don't see the need for the half cock safety!!! And to me, it just adds one more potential issue.

And as for the way it feels, when I took my gun completely apart, cleaned and lubed it, it felt 10 times better than out of the box, so I'm sure yours feels a ton better now!!! This is definately going to be my next upgrade, and soon!!! Thanks for the info!!!!
a hammer w/o half cock safety? ummm...all hammer's are going to have a half cock. Half cock is made so that if you have to manually pull the hammer back, if you hand slips off the hammer it will go to the half cock position which will allow you gun to not fire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Caropanther89:
sorry, when I wrote "half cock safety" I should have typed "Trigger lock." I think most everyone else understood what I meant.............
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top