Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a new model 992 with the interchangeable .22 & .22 WMR cylinders. When I use the .22 wmr cylinder, I experience light hammer strikes on every 9 shot load resulting in FTF. Any suggestions on cause & resolution or should I just send the revolver in to Taurus for evaluation & repair? I'm a little hesitant to send it in because of their past customer service reputation when sending in guns for warranty service, although it seems that is improving. Thoughts, suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
One T-A member recently returned his 992 for repairs. No parts to repair and 992 no longer manufactured. They sent him a 627 (?? from my memory) to replace. I'd say 50/50 you'll never see again if returned. Have you tried different brand ammo?

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's not good, even if they can't repair it they should have given the owner the option to either replace it or have it returned and he could have had his gunsmith work on it. That's just bizarre.

I haven't tried different ammo. I was using Winchester Super-X 22 WMR X22M, which is all I could get locally for a reasonable price per round. I may go ahead and pay for a box of CCI or Hornady & see how it does. I didn't even think of the ammo angle. Duh

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,871 Posts
What is the possibility of the 22m cylinder sitting a little further forward than the 22LR. This distance, measured in thousandths of an inch could cause the intermittent problem you are having. Especially if 22m rim tolerance is also on the minus side.

jat

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the possibility of the 22m cylinder sitting a little further forward than the 22LR. This distance, measured in thousandths of an inch could cause the intermittent problem you are having. Especially if 22m rim tolerance is also on the minus side.

jat
I suspect this could also be the problem and, in fact, wouldn't surprise me if it's a head space issue given that there is the additional complication of having interchangeable cylinders. I had a similar problem with my Dan Wesson 715 with only one cylinder. The biggest difference is that they have an excellent reputation for customer service and I didn't hesitate to send that revolver in for warranty work. Given what I've read here, if I determine it's not just an ammo issue, I'll have my local gunsmith look at it rather than send it in for warranty work.

·
Registered
7,001 Posts
One T-A member recently returned his 992 for repairs. No parts to repair and 992 no longer manufactured. They sent him a 627 (?? from my memory) to replace. I'd say 50/50 you'll never see again if returned. Have you tried different brand ammo?
Not true at all! Mdl 992 is in the 2017 catalog and shown as available on the Taurus® website.

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
Not true at all! Mdl 992 is in the 2017 catalog and shown as available on the Taurus® website.
Yeah, you're correct - I made it up.:sarcasm:

This is excerpt from very recent correspondence with another member from which I bought his 992 related components because his wasn't going to be repaired or replaced in kind:

I was surprised also since they kept telling me "the gun was on backorder and yes, they were still making the gun." Last Friday Tammi (a supervisor in customer service) called and said the catalog was a misprint and the gun was done.
This was after 6 months of waiting after returning 992 for repair.

That was my comment, too - that it was in catalog and on Taurus web and was surprised at his earlier response, which is where the excerpt above picks up.....

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I sent my 992 to Miami in February for a problem with casings sticking in the WMR chamber. They repaired it and sent it back in about 9-10 weeks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts