Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new Taurus Homeland Security modle 82 .38 special this week. Wow, what a sweet revolver. Haven't shot a firearm in years, and this one was a joy. I noticed little kickback. Perhaps there was more than I thought. This one has a 4" barrel, and is heavy. Feels good. I was able to get close to the bulls eye on the first show. I have a hefty respect for any and all firearms. And was a little concerned taking that first shot, not knowing how it would handle. Dry shooting a couple of times, seem to be a little rough, especially compared to cocking first and then pulling the trigger. But, I took my time, aimed, and squeezed the trigger, Wow! Smoth. And it was LOUD. Didn't wear ear protectors for for the first shot as I wanted to hear how loud it was. Can't wait to shoot some more. It really handles well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
WElcome from eastern TN. Sounds awesome,my friend! Would love to see pics of it. I'm looking at a potential trade to a used M82 myself (a well kept nice one) :thumb:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Always had a soft spot for the plainjane Taurus 82:) I've got two 1990's era models and I'm looking to add two more new ones.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
The Model 82 has replaced the S&W Model 10 in many armed security groups. It's a fine, but plain, revolver. Mine is from the mid-1990's, and the only modification has been some Pachmayr grips that filled my large hands better.

Unless you are defending yourself, never fire a gun without hearing protection. The damage done is permanent. I've lived with tinnitus since 1967, after a running gun battle in SE Asia. Welcome.

·
Registered
548 Posts
JR is right. Even with hearing protection, firing a handgun can be loud (if you're shooting under a metal roof, for example). I wear earplugs under earmuffs. Take good care of your ears!

That being said, I think a lot of people are discovering the pleasures of owning a Taurus Model 82. Excellent, sturdy, reliable revolvers. Everyone should own one!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Agree with NG on ear protection. Another item to watch on a wheel gun is where you put our left thumb if you are right handed. You could get a burn from blow-by from the cylinder to barrel gap. The bigger the gun the worse the problem. I put a lot of lead down range in 38 Special. My wife's favorite gun to shoot is my S&W686 loaded with 148 gr wadcutters. If she would practice a little more I think she could clean my clock with that gun.

·
Registered
161 Posts
ladytara, you have made an excellent choice for self-protection purposes. As an active law enforcement officer I would take the Model 82 over any of the polymer made semi-auto pistols for duty purposes. The Model 82 can take any of the factory +P.38 loads available to you. With some practice at the range you will come to like your Model 82 more and more. Those latest Model 82's have a "custom" trigger that is as smooth as any factory manufactured service revolver I have every seen or handled. I have one myself and sing its praises frequently! You did good! David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all who expressed concern regarding hearing protection. You are all correct, I will in the future. It is my stupidity, but for that first show, I wanted to see how loud, dumb and I thank all who cautioned with words of wisdom. The ear plugs are being used.

·
Registered
29,948 Posts
Congratulations on your new M-82 and...

Welcome aboard from
Florida the "GunShine" state. :icon_ lala:

State of over "1 MILLION 120 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
32,658 Posts
Welcome and congrats on getting a Taurus 82. That is a fine revolver and the .38 Special is a versatile cartridge.

130 grain- 158gr. standard pressure practice rounds can be used most of the time.

Shoot a few +P rounds to stay current with them when and if you can. Ammo is expensive or can be. Ammo :: Ammunition :: Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com helps with finding ammo online. A lot of the ammo stores or ammo selling places are cataloged with them.

If need be check out the online women's sites in my signature and there is a sticky threads in the Bustles,Bows, and Bullets board you may find helpful.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've got two 82's from the 90's and would like to add an older model and also a brand new one to my little Taurus collection:)

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
32,658 Posts
I've got a 82 that is one of the last stainless steel versions.

It seems that all the very new ones have a blue finish. The catalog and online site verify this.
Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Blued or stainless, the 82 is a great gun!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
ladytara, you have made an excellent choice for self-protection purposes. As an active law enforcement officer I would take the Model 82 over any of the polymer made semi-auto pistols for duty purposes. The Model 82 can take any of the factory +P.38 loads available to you. With some practice at the range you will come to like your Model 82 more and more. Those latest Model 82's have a "custom" trigger that is as smooth as any factory manufactured service revolver I have every seen or handled. I have one myself and sing its praises frequently! You did good! David

Now, that's quite an endorsement!:rating10:

Congratulations, ladytara:happy:.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think all the new 82's are blue because most of them are sold to security agencies and not many of them wanted to pay more for the stainless version. I saw that Taurus still has the stainless 65 in their lineup though. I had a chance to get a new blue 65 for about $350 last year and I didn't do it, still kicking myself.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Went outside today and fired a few rounds. Being a novice, I am amazed at how well this baby shoots. Very smooth. I hit a coke can dead center from about 15 to 20 ft. For many, that is no big deal, but for me I felt like I had done well. I held the revolver with both hands, and had ear protection, squeezed the trigger and pow! Since I have not show any other revolver/pistol, I have nothing to compare. But, I am very happy with the way this gun handles, and how accurate it is.

This forum has been very informative and fun to explore and learn from all who post. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts