Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start out by saying that this forum is one of the better gun forum I've read. I've been lurking for a couple of days just soaking up the vast amount of info and have allready learned much. Thank you for that.
Now my question. My wonderfull son is buying me a new PT-111 Mil-Pro for my birthday. While this is not my first handgun it is my first "new" handgun. I've looked over the FAQ's about cleaning and am wondering if it is advisable or not to completely breakdown the gun to clean the factory oiling from all the parts or if a field strip would be enough?

2. In reading other posts it seems that the biggest problems with this gun are related to the spring popping out the front of the slide. How could I tell if this gun has the modified spring assembly?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Congratulations on your new pistol, I'm sure you will enjoy it. As to the spring popping out, can't help you there. But here is a link I found showing how to break-down and clean the PT111.
http://www.kaptain.us/guns/clean.html

·
Registered
132 Posts
What do you mean by the spring popping out of the slide? If you are referring to the recoil spring then this does not pop out of the slide............you have to press it in to release it and it does not go flying around if done properly. Its not a very difficult pistol to clean if this is your major concern.

Again, i am not sure what you mean by the modified spring assembly, but since your son is buying the pistol brand new then chances are you will get the latest generation thus have the latest spring assembly or whatever upgrades, etc.

You have several spring assemblies in the slide.........recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor spring, firing pin return spring, drop safety spring, etc.

I think most would agree than the most difficult spring to deal with is the external manual safety spring and metal ball that is located in the housing of the frame. This is the most difficult to put back together and chances you will not need to take it apart.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I believe he's asking about the recoil spring coming out of the front of the slide. I've heard of it happening many times.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Happens on a few guns. Spec may have been getting to close for tolerances on the slide.
Hasn't happened on either of my milpro's. Over 1000 rounds thru each.
The modified spring has a small washer between the spring and the plastic capture device.

One of the threads here has the new and old part numbers. If you care to you can order the newer spring, just call Taurus. I haven't yet but I might just to keep a spare. ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Wayne... glad you're enjoying the forum. For those of us who are moderators, a compliment is worth a bunch. As far as your gun... the link is excellent... We'd love to incorporate that in our FAQ is anyone knows the author. And as far as the gun... just plan on enjoying. The problem guns have been identified and should you happen to find a problem... Taurus will send you a replacement at no cost. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was reading a post from a Taurus rep that was gracious enough to stop in. There was an issue with the 24/7 model guns and the recoil spring coming out of the front of the gun. The newer models had this issue corrected, if yours ever does this, send it to Taurus and they will fix it free of charge (gotta love their warrenty, it was a big selling point for me, same reason I own Snap-On tools!).
He said in a reply to the same question that the way to tell was to field strip your gun and look at the spring, the updated models should have a metal washer at the end of the spring. I looked at my 24/7 Pro .40, and did not see this washer, but I just bought mine about a month ago. When asked, he did not have a serial number range where this change ove occured. I am looking to see if I can go ahead and purchase this new style spring assembly to replace mine just to be on the safe side. I'd rather prevent mine from coming out than have to send my gun back to the manufacture, because one day with out protection may be the one day you need it.
Don't take my word as gospel, but I would look into the issue further to verify that I have remembered correctly. If I come across the post again, I'll add a link here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all the replies. I was referring to the recoil spring popping out the front of the slide as tplane37 mentioned. It is entirely possible I confused the model gun that wa having that problem. I am another year older and that seems to be happening more these days. :) Again thanks for the replies, you guys are great!
Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts