Taurus Firearm Forum banner

New Mexico Drops Arizona – KY Sup Ct Rules on Car Storage on Campus

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Bigmac 
#1 ·
Arizona DPS is reporting that New Mexico no longer honors the Arizona Permit/License to Carry. I had been hearing rumors this was going to happen. I have been hearing there are a couple more they may drop. Time will tell. Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety

The KY Supreme Court ruled that a firearm locked in a vehicle in a University Parking lot was not a violation of the School rules/policies. Univ. of Kentucky fired an employee who had a firearm locked in his vehicle. The Court ruled that he had a right to keep it there and it was a violation for them to fire him under state law. There is a link to this Decision on the Kentucky page at www.handgunlaw.us and you can view it Here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/agopinions/KYSupCtFirearmsOnUniversityProperty.pdf

#5 ·
Heheheh, I'll trade ya....I'll take NM and you can have IL<eg>

#3 ·
Being a part of KC3, and GOA I loved this one!!!

Kentucky
Supreme Court Unanimously Upholds the Right of Employees to Keep Firearms in Their Cars
Thursday, 26 April 2012 19:08

Exactly one year ago, we wrote to you about a lawsuit being brought by Kentuckian Michael Mitchell against the University of Kentucky, which had fired him for keeping a gun in his car in a university-owned parking structure over a mile from the university hospital where he worked.
This, despite Kentucky Revised Statutes sec. 27.020, which states that “[n]o person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit” a concealed carry permit holder from carrying a firearm in his vehicle in accordance with law.
At the time, we asked to you to contribute to Mitchell’s legal defense fund.
Well, today, we won.
The Kentucky Supreme Court, in a unanimous outcome (with two concurrences), overturned a wrong-headed decision by an anti-gun lower court judge.
You can read the opinion online at the Kentucky Concealed Carry Coalition (KC3), which was instrumental in bringing this case to the public’s attention.
Mitchell’s attorneys have asked us to thank you for your support.
You have scored a resounding victory on behalf of the rights of Kentuckians who possess firearms in their cars to protect themselves and their families.
You deserve enormous credit for your contributions on behalf of this ground-breaking lawsuit.
Let us be the first to thank you.

#4 ·
I would like to expand on Robby's post. KC3 is a state org fighting for your RKBA's. Like I have stated in an earlier post do check out your state RKBA's org and join them if possible as they are at the front of many major battles in your state. Many states have Orgs that are doing great work and need everyones assistance. They are the ones leading the fight in the state legislatures. They are the ones attending hearings at the state level and voicing their opinions and concerns. Not only should we join in and help them we also owe then a huge Thank You for all they have done in the past for everyone who owns firearms.

#6 ·
Is New Mexico, only recognizing states with which they have written agreements, Gary?

#7 ·
I am away from home but from what NM Posted Friday late they are only honoring 5 states now. Until I get home I don't know all the details but they will only honor those they have agreements and from what I can see and I can't see everything yet the most they will honor is 8. At least that is what it looks like to me.

#9 ·
NM is not going to honor any state that does not do everything the way they want it done? Some states it is only one thing, others it is several??

So, it looks like if other states do not change their laws, the NM, will say tough??

New Mexico statute 29-19-12E requires that in order for a state to be recognized by NM, their provisions have to be “at least as stringent or substantially similar” to New Mexico. NMDPS has generally found six things that make a state substantially different from New Mexico, and therefore would disqualify that state from being recognized:
  1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;
  2. No fingerprint-based background check;
  3. Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;
  4. Permits issued to resident aliens;
  5. No classroom (static) training required;
  6. No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.