Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello folks

I just took a Taurus PT 24/7 pro 9mm in trade yesterday for a debt due for $175.0 so the pistol came to me cheap enough but I have a couple issues with the gun...it shoots consistently low, tight grouping and accurate but low, I can bullseye every time I want to but I loose sight of the bullseye compensating for the sights issue.

has anyone tried to grind/file the front sight to resolve this problem?

Or..... I also notice that the entire slide is sloppy and the gap at the front of the barrel (see pics) is approx 1/32 - 1/16 and I can squeeze it lightly to close the gap..the rear of the slide isnt sloppy so this slop up front could affect the sights, are these slides know to be sloppy up front or does this pistol have an issue?

another small issue is the rubber grips are starting to wear, I have googled only to find Taurus didnt make replacements "for a rubber grip"? really?....

I see people suggesting hoage slip on grips but doesnt appear it will cover all places I see wear on this grip, so I wont waste my efforts there, ..Ive read that the replica Taurus Airsoft grips can be used but when I contacted an airsoft seller he tells me the grips are NOT removable on the airsoft pistols...so I dont know if anyone has really done this grip swap or just speculation for a potential solution. anyone really know?

This Taurus feels good in my hand, shoots well, no jam-ups, but the sights being off is a BIG issue with me ...any insight from other 9mm 24/7 owners would be appreciated

pics are a little blurry, camera doesnt do close ups well
thanks for looking

Untitled-3.jpg Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg Untitled-6.jpg

edit: I have modified the front sight, removing little off the top and it suits me perfect now, happy deadly camper....

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
welcome from KY, i have 1 also you got me thinking about gettin the hoage slip on to prevent wear on unreplacable taurus grips. love the gun but also shoots low

·
Administrator
39,385 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
welcome from KY, i have 1 also you got me thinking about gettin the hoage slip on to prevent wear on unreplacable taurus grips. love the gun but also shoots low
interesting Im just realizing that my sight issue isnt isolated to my 9mm, Im thinking a little smithing is in order

I would advise you get slip on grips, it may help but see pics, the damage starts up high from the crook of your thumb

Untitled-13.jpg Untitled-22.jpg

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Welcome from Central Iowa to the Forum.

I'm not a 24/7 expert, but they'll be along shortly to help you out

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....
Yup that is the way most Taurus sights are, line up the dots and cover the target with the front dot.
I filed mine off then filled the rear of the sight with JB weld and painted the back of blade with white
automotive touch up paint. Much better shoots the same as the rest of my pistols now....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky! Do you have the straight 8 or the 3 dot sights? The straight 8 sights you usually cover point of impact. 3 dot is usually 6 oclock position. Sounds like you have the straight 8s and it gives a lot of people fits but once you get used to them they are pretty good. It looks like it is just the polymer frame is the problem with the gap. It shouldnt have any affect on your sights.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
View attachment 24903 Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....
Yup that is the way most Taurus sights are, line up the dots and cover the target with the front dot.
I filed mine off then filled the rear of the sight with JB weld and painted the back of blade with white
automotive touch up paint. Much better shoots the same as the rest of my pistols now....

View attachment 24905
gbusmech
thanks for your reply, I have been reading since I posted and have come to the conclusion, like you and many others, & Im actually aiming a tad higher then most reporting, I will work my sights down till they suit my style

love the gun though, Im deadly with it, feels good shoots good,

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome from Kentucky! Do you have the straight 8 or the 3 dot sights? The straight 8 sights you usually cover point of impact. 3 dot is usually 6 oclock position. Sounds like you have the straight 8s and it gives a lot of people fits but once you get used to them they are pretty good. It looks like it is just the polymer frame is the problem with the gap. It shouldnt have any affect on your sights.
straight 8 sights....I have modified the front sight to suit my style and am very happy with the results, thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts