Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is clayton. I'm new to guns, and also this forum. I realized that my house does not have anything to keep my family safe in it, be it an alarm system or even a bat to use in case some intruder breaks in; now I know a gun might be an extreme solution, but honestly, I want to learn how to use one just in case I ever find myself needing to. In the future, I do plan on making interstate travel, so if I can get a concealed weapons permit in my state of Florida, then I would be able to use it in other states that accept it.

But like I said, I'm new to guns and shooting in general. I've looked up some good Youtube videos, but I know nothing beats an in-person training at a dedicated gun range. However, due to this current pandemic, that is most likely out of the question for the time being.

I've bought a handgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P .380 EZ, and I'll be going to pick it up tomorrow. If anyone has any useful resources here on this forum, then I'll be glad to accept it! Thanks, everyone!

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Let me be the FIRST to welcome you!

You're off to a good start watching videos. I suggest watching videos about your specific gun, including the cleaning part.

When you pick it up, ask if the shop has classes. If not, see if they suggest a local range where you can take classes. Any safety class or beginning shooter class would go a long way to teaching you about yourself, your gun, and general safety. I'm not a "gun guy" so I'm sure there will be some actual knowledgeable advice to come along soon.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Welcome to the club.......
I agree- when possible take a gun safety course, preferable one that includes range time. Once you have the basics - then practice as often as practical- once you are comfortable- then practice enough to stay proficient.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Welcome to taurusarmed.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "Taurus® Spoken Here! Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas.

You're off to a good start already. However, I don't think anyone here would say that having a gun is an "extreme solution".
It would be better to think of it as a last solution, but perhaps a necessary one, and one you should prepare for.

My recommendations toward your education:

1. Learn about handgun laws in your state, and any state you travel through (www.handgunlaw.us). Where can you carry; where can't you carry; what do you do if you get pulled over by police. Not all states are the same.

2. Read about self defense law. Buy the book, "The Law of Self Defense", by Andrew Branca; and check out his website (www.lawofselfdefense.com).

3. Consider getting self defense insurance. I recommend it if you own a gun; and I STRONGLY recommend it if you carry a gun. I have USCCA insurance (www.usconcealedcarry.com); another good one is CCW Safe. Don't rely on your homeowners insurance; that is not enough.

When you finally get a carry permit, the first time you carry concealed in public, it will feel strange. After a while it will feel normal.
I am actually MORE passive when I carry. You do not want to be seen as the instigator in any confrontation.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm a new member as of a couple of days ago, and I can attest to the helpfulness of the members here!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Welcome to th forum. All good advice, so far.

Get comfortable with your new S&W, and get used to the idea that confrontation is what you are here to avoid. Job #1is keeping youreslf and your family safe.
Learn the gun.
Learn the law.
Learn yourself ("A man's got to know his own limitations")

Practice
Practice

Learn the basics of th4 gun

·
Registered
24,500 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Welcome to TA from Cherokee County, Georgia.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Welcome, from the Rust Belt USA....

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Welcome from Central FL -- get as much training as you can afford. It's well worth the time and money. Enjoy the .380 :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts