Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, and wanted to introduce myself. ;) I am new to Taurus firearms, but not new to firearms in general.

I purchased a blue 24/7 Pro 9mm last week, and am very impressed with the features of it. The trigger action is excellent, as is the manual safety. I have put about 100 rounds of 115 gr. WWB, and 100 rounds of Winchester 124 gr. FMJ through this gun without the first mechanical malfunction. No FTE's, FTF's or anything else. The 24/7 has wonderful ergonomics, and has a very pleasant soft recoil. I have no complaints about it except for one.

My groups were printing to the left at first, and proved it by shooting off a good rest on the bench - with two different shooters. It was no problem to drift the rear sight to the right a little bit to center the groups, but the group size, from a good rest is about 8" - 10" at 25 yards. Many hand held shots at 25 yards are not even minute of 12" paper plate. I am used to my Glock, H&K, Kahr, and S&W M&P pistols accuracy wise, and this just does not cut it for me. On a good day, at 25 yards, 2.5" - 3" is a normal hand held group with my other pistols.

Is this accuracy relative to the 24/7 9mm? If so, then my brother has offered to purchase it from me. He offered me enough for it, so that it would not be worth the cost of shipping the gun back to Taurus. He has shot it and knows the deal on it, but is not concerned with the accuracy.

Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well were you on a dead on hold or a 6Oclock hold.
The 24/7s are made for a dead on sight picture.
Read the Sighting FAQ here and it should help you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We were using a dead on hold. The elevation of the group was not at question, but the windage was off center to the left. A simple sight adjustment pretty well centered the group.

Where the sights are adjusted is not the problem, but the large 8" - 10" 5 shot group from a good rest is a real issue for me.

·
Registered
509 Posts
m4coyote said:
We were using a dead on hold. The elevation of the group was not at question, but the windage was off center to the left. A simple sight adjustment pretty well centered the group.

Where the sights are adjusted is not the problem, but the large 8" - 10" 5 shot group from a good rest is a real issue for me.
I hear you, make a call to Miami yet?
Talk to them, you may need to send it in for an adjustment.
I sent mine down for the same thing on a 24/7C 40Cal.
and at 15 Yards benched I now have groups smaller than a pack of Marlboros for 5 shots in the BLACK on a 50 FT NRA Timed and Rapid fire target.
They got it fixed.
I guess some one slacked off in Brazil for a few months.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Go to the FAQ, you will find info on the grip hold, the sights which are dead on, not 6'oclock, and you will find a target to print out that will HELP you a bunch. It ain't the gun. If you need help on finding this let me know.
Or go to Qwicksdraws homework section, which all new Taurus owners should do !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Texas Shooter,

I am referring to a problem which occurs during firing when the pistol is on a very steady commercial rest. The point of impact or sight picture is not at question, but the size of the 5 shot group is of concern. A commercial rest, along with a steady hand, will remove most, if not all of the human element from the equation.

In the same session, I tested my H&K USP Expert .45 on the same rest, and it shot a 12 round group at 25 yards into one ragged hole. The CTC group size for the H&K was less than 1/2" with .45 ACP WWB. My Glock 19 shot a 10 round group into about 2" at the same distance. A few minutes later, my tiny Kahr PM9 shot about a 2" group at the same distance. Last but not least was the 24/7, and it shot 5 shots into about an 8" to 10" inch circle ( I only had a pair of 6" calipers with me, so they would not expand far enough to measure the actual CTC group size).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome from Southern Oregon

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yes, some of the sights are off. I have heard people from "other" forums mention this as well. I personally have not had this problem (In my .40S&W), but I know that others have.

If you were using a rest, I would call, as recommended by another fine member above and see what Taurus says, there perhaps is a problem with your sights.

·
Registered
509 Posts
On mine they Fitted a new barrel and Adjusted the slide.
Then they fired 22 Test rounds of My Brand of ammo and sent me 1 target and kept the others on file.
Took 5 weeks, but they did fix it no charge.
I did pay the shipping to Miami though via FedEx they return shipped at their expense to me.
:D ;D :D ;D 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bulldog,

Thank You!

You hit the nail on the head! There was no sight problem, but Taurus found and fixed a mechanical problem related to accuracy with your gun, and then returned it to you. I am glad they stand behind their products, and also glad that they did fix it to your satisfaction.

My issue is somewhat different, because I have a buyer for this pistol who will pay me within $20.00 of what I paid for it new, and he has already shot it and is satisfied with it's performance. It will cost me $40.00 - $50.00 to ship and insure it to Taurus for repair, be without it for four to five weeks, and then receive it back (at which time it might, or might not meet my expectations). Right now I can buy another brand new one for an additional $20.00, and have it tomorrow.

Is this problem common enough that I should forget the 24/7 platform all together, or should I go for another one? As much as I like the 24/7's ergonomics and features, I do not want another 24/7 if they inherently shoot groups in the 6"- 10" range at 25 yards. I prefer to own pistols that have more mechanical accuracy than I can hand hold, and this example clearly is not capable of that performance.

·
Registered
509 Posts
No, I get the impression someone in Brazil screwed up and they are correcting a "Defective Batch"
I have been a Taurus customer since 1985 and I have bet my life and the lives of my loved ones on them.
I know many LEOS that use Taurus Firearms regularly off duty also.

It is not the NORM for me in my experience to have a problem with their products.
I even have a pre decocker PT92 that has well over 50K rounds through it with out a hitch or a problem.
I think it is just a fluke, I remember one convo with a very helpful Customer service rep that said, "Though these are hand fitted and matched up, they are mass produced and done in an assembly line."
My response was "Did you not test fire it"
He said "We test everything that leaves the factory"

Makes me think the QC peeps are not stopping the problems on the factory floor.
As for my 24/7C40 Cal I am pleased with it.
At 15 Yards my stupid stoppers group into an area the size of a pack of Marlboros (Yes I smoke and measured with my pack)
Any combat firearm that can do that will do well on the street or in your nightstand.

If I were you, tell your friend if he pays the shipping, you will sell it to him but you want it to be right first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly what I wanted to hear my friend. I also smoke Marlboros (as long as I am not in a Nazi area). Thanks for the insight upon your experience! Your 50K + round PT92 is a true testament to the quality of the brand, and is also really impressive. You have definitely made me feel more comfortable about 24/7's in general, and I will purchase another one soon.

·
Registered
509 Posts
m4coyote said:
Exactly what I wanted to hear my friend. I also smoke Marlboros (as long as I am not in a Nazi area). Thanks for the insight upon your experience! Your 50K + round PT92 is a true testament to the quality of the brand, and is also really impressive. You have definitely made me feel more comfortable about 24/7's in general, and I will purchase another one soon.
The product has been great to me, can't say much else.
BUT, IMHO I would send in the firearm and get the problem fixed before you give it to someone else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bulldog,
I hear you about sending it in to Taurus. I will be making arrangements this afternoon to send it to them for repair.

·
Registered
509 Posts
m4coyote said:
Bulldog,
I hear you about sending it in to Taurus. I will be making arrangements this afternoon to send it to them for repair.
Cool beans.
I mean these little guns get bashed enough as it is so why not turn the tide and hand over the best gun possible to its new adoptive parent. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome from the Sunny Northcoast (OHIO)! Please let us know how the transaction with Taurus goes and how it shoots when you get it back. It would be great also to know what repairs were done, but that may be too much to ask. Ha! Again welcome. Jim

·
Registered
846 Posts
:bang: yep that's what you wanted to hear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In no way do I intend to bash or cast doubt upon the 24/7 Pro. It's feature set and super comfortable grip just beats everything out there - even at more than twice the price. No other striker fired polymer pistol has a real manual safety, and this one even has an excellent single action trigger. Its ability to make a second or third strike on a hard primer just makes for icing on the cake. Last night, I convinced my brother to purchase a new one, so in no way have I given up on this 24/7. ;)

The Smith & Wesson M&P9C that I purchased back in March has been far more troublesome than this 24/7 Pro. It went back to the mother ship due to FTF, ejection of every round into my face, failure to lock the slide back on an empty mag, and the roughest barrel interior I have ever seen on a pistol. I kid you not my Kel-Tec P3at rifling looked like a hand honed match unit compared to the supplied to the original one supplied in the M&P.

The M&P9C still spits an occasional hot case into my glasses & down my shirt, but the other issues have been resolved by S&W.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts