Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought a PT92, the dual tone model. Is stainless and blued and looks really nice. Blued frame and stainless slide.

Anyway, he bought the gun and we took it to the range a couple of days ago. He fired it and just after he fired it for the first time, the trigger locked up.

He had to pull the trigger forward with his finger and then fired again. Locked up.

He could not shoot the gun without the trigger locking up in a fully pulled back position.

Well needless to say, he was highly disappointed and I was too but we brought it home (after he shot his 9mm Hipoint which never has failed) and we examined it thourghly.

After taking the gun apart and discussing should we just send it back after or attempt a repair, I looked to see what was wrong. I could get the trigger to bind/lockup after removing the trigger bar and the slide stop. So it wasn't anything in the rear of the gun.

It turns out that there was some bad machining in the trigger housing of the frame.

On the slide release side of the frame in the trigger housing, the metal was bumpy. Almost like they forgot to finish off the machining on that side. I took a fine metal file and smoothed it out and put the trigger back in place and tested the trigger. Seemed MUCH smoother and no more binding at all. I could then get the trigger to fall forward after pulling it back as hard as possible.

We then reassembled the gun completely and went to the range last night and fired off about 100 rounds. NO jams/bindings/problems whatsoever other than a single dud primer (HSM reload). He even tried double firing on that one round and no go but that looked totally like a problem with the ammo, not the gun in the least (the primer strike was very good). The gun was quite accurate and enjoyable to shoot after all.

But I'm just wondering, is this something that appears to happen with Taaurus guns? I was considering getting one for myself after seeing my boy's gun but that lack of finish machining really made me a tad nervous.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Like anything from anyone, things happen even with the best of things... I own alot of firearms, many of them Taurus. When it comes to pistols, Taurus makes some of the best and the PT92's are great firearms. I own two PT92's one I purchased in the 1980's, the other more recently. I've done action jobs on them just because its something I do and I also purchased buffers from Buffer Tech at http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/index.cfm?UserID=707546&jsessionid=8c30cfb834ebyvK / http://www.buffertech.com/stores/1/BERETTA_92_96_P6C2.cfm to reduce recoil.

I always take apart every firearm I own, go through it and generally do some honing on the internals to make them smoother, slicker and better... What us gunsmiths call "an action job".

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I was considering getting one for myself after seeing my boy's gun but that lack of finish machining really made me a tad nervous
if you wanted to try something a little different (yet the same) you can get Beretta 92FS...

but I' never hear bad things about PT92 so I doubt you'll have that problem with another gun...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well my son brought his 92AFS to the range today for the ISPC match. He has been to one other match and had a hard time with his 40 caliber S/W Sigma.

He used the 92AFS and it performed almost perfectly today except for 2 instances of misfires but I think that was a result of the reloads that we were using as mentioned above.

Other than that, he was very happy with how it performed.

I'm still considering a 92 as well except while at the match, I accidentally bought a Glock 17 for 250 dollars with 2 mags, uncle something belt holster, and 2 magazine belt holster.

The Glock is in perfect condition but I really never cared much for the Glock but the price was decent and I couldn't pass it up for now.

We went back to the store that was selling the limited edition PT92AFS and we tested the other one that they had and it did NOT exhibit the problem that my kid's 92 was experiencing so I attribute it to a minor glitch.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Draeger, whats your opinion on those buffers? Any noticeable difference in recoil or accuracy?

·
Administrator
17,925 Posts
I have approximately 23,000 rounds thru my PT92 (1992 vintage) with only minor repairs (two locking blocks) needed over it's lifetime, and I've recently done a minor refurbishment (Firing Pin Spring and Recoil Spring), I continue to shoot it, and I fully expect that it will outlive me! Reliability, Accuracy, and durability! What's not to like! ;D

Another 9mm Pistol I would recommend to you would be a Taurus 9mm 24/7 Pro, and I have one of those, too! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts