Taurus Firearm Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
32,760 Posts
You've got it. Realize that the .40S&W has been outperforming the 9mm. to a degree. But totally so. All the real world records have shown that.

The advantage to the 9mm. is lack of recoil as opposed to the .40s higher pressure rounds. Will be right back with what was requested.

·
32,760 Posts

·
32,760 Posts

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I also have all three. You're familiar with the manual-of-arms for the 92/99, and the 100/101 pistols. While getting to the range will be important, Home Defense is critical. Under stress, we revert back to what we've been taught, and, for you, that's the 92-100 platform. It would take a while with the 1911 before you reached that level.

The PT100/101 series ( I own a 101) has 12 round magazines available for it, so you'll only give up three rounds to the M9 you're familiar with. Premium defensive rounds, like the Gold Dot, HST, and Golden Saber, are producing the most successful results of any between the 9x19 and the .40 S&W.

I like the PT101 for use as a combination home and range gun. The chances of anything damaging the adjustable sight is rare in this scenario, and the gun can be adjusted for the weight of bullet used.

The .40 S&W recoils much like a +P or +P+ 9mm round, and is more expensive per round than the 9mm, at least for the near future.

The .45 ACP, in it's premium designs, does hold a certain advantage over both of the others. It's also the most expensive to shoot. The platform has a different manual-of-arms, a better trigger feel, and the full-size version can be CCW'd. However, it's far different in operating qualities (single-action) than either the M9 or the 92/100 platforms.

The choice is yours. Oh, the 1911 is actually easier to teach a new shooter. No "transition" from DA to SA, better trigger to learn, and the grips fit many more people's hands. The "recoil" of the .45 ACP is also mostly a myth in a full sized gun, as well. I've had little trouble teaching petite females to use the 1911, or younger males. They have little in the way of pre-conceived notions about calibers and recoil.

My PT101 sits next to the bed at night. However, I CCW a 1911. To me, the safety location of the PT101, being identical to that of my 1911, allows me to get it into play quickly. However, that first DA pull allows me to be sure of my target in those first few "heard something, saw something, am I REALLY awake?" seconds. I wake up easily after decades of Fire/EMS service, but I'm older now, and my hearing isn't what it was 45 years ago. A small war in SE Asia, followed by decades of sirens, air-horns, and barely muffled trucks and gas-powered accessories on the scene have left me with tinnitus, and moderate-to-severe loss of hearing in both ears. So, I tend to be VERY cautious about what I "hear' at night, or should have "heard". :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
John M Browning designed the almost perfect pistol. I own 2 PT1911's, a Springer GI and a Sig GSR in .45cal. Beretta 92 (Italian manufacture) 9mm and wheel guns too numerous to mention. I carry one of four 1911's each day with no difficulty. If you can master one, you can master them all. Purchase what fits your eye, your hand and your wallet. Then enjoy. Best wishes on your quest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. Have the following: PT1911--GREAT, PT92--new gun haven't shot it yet but bought based on experience with the 1911, 605 in 357mag for CCW. You won't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Qwiks Draw, I see why they call you the professor. You weren't just drowning me in posts because the Bears have been beating the Packers like red headed step children since Lovie took over, were you? ;)

I've made it about half way through the Master's course you sent and I have a pretty good idea which direction I'm going. While the posts you sent were helpful it was really JR's post that clinched it for me.

I'm most familiar with the 92/100 type pistol because of the years I carried the M9. Since my primary motivation in purchasing this pistol is HD I'm going to stick with what I know for now. Thanks JR, you condensed and clarified what I was already thinking into a post that tipped the scale towards the familiar platform. I can get a 1911 later when I need a new challenge.

There is still the 9mm vs .40 decision to make, but hopefully I'll be able to make an informed decision on that this week. Got my FOID card yesterday, time for a trip to the range to run a couple of boxes of ammo through rental weapons. If the .40 feels decent at all I'm going to go that route, I still drink the bigger bullet is better koolaid. One of my coworkers carried a Sig 229(?) in .40 for years and loved it. If the muzzle flip on the .40 is too much I'll stick to the 9mm and explore larger calibers later. I just think I'd be remiss if I didn't at least give the .40 a look.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input. Pictures of the purchase forthcoming.

·
32,760 Posts
Experience trumps links any day.
Hope the .40 S&W caliber works out for you. It seems to for a large number of people here.

Always go with what you know seems to work out in this case. Just goes to show you.

Got to make the Bears feel like they have a team after the last few years they've had. YUK,YUK,YUK. LOL

Look at the goo side. if the .40 S&W winds up giving too much flip, at least there's a place you can unload it. :devil: :p LOL

Had to do that to a Bears fan. :) :D

·
32,760 Posts
Lovie? He needs to change his name to Bruno to be a Bear.

Let me guess. That cougar that had to shot in Chicago just happened to be passing through to visit the Bears.

Folks, there's never ANY love lost between Packer fans and Chicago ones. This exchange could go on for days.LOL

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So the gloves come off. I was going to take the high road and let your comments pass but I can see the Packers fan in you needs some education.
Qwiks draw said:
Lovie? He needs to change his name to Bruno to be a Bear.
While our head coach has what could be considered an unusual first name he came by it honestly. He didn't have any choice when his parents decided to name him after his aunt but he carries the name well. I look at it from a "Boy Named Sue" perspective but any way you slice it a team coached by a man named "Lovie" has owned the Packers at their beloved Lambeau. And Coach Smith pronounces his name correctly. It's amazing to me Brett is such a great quarter back but doesn't know how to pronounce his last name. Someone really should tell him the "V" comes before the "R". On second thought it doesn't really matter if he's retiring. He is retiring, isn't he? Or is he going to wait until the last minute and come back for another year so the Bears can abuse him 2 more times?

·
32,760 Posts
Nope Favre is gone. Packers have a new QB, Aaron Rodgers for good,bad, or worse.

Have to wait and see. Wouldn't surprise me if the Pack had a rough year or two ahead of them.

Not going to try and defednd something when no one can sure of anything with this group. Having veteran ball handlers trying to mesh with a QB that hasn't had much playing time is not something that's going to work out overnight.

Lovie's okay. But would it be right for two fans of two teams who have as big a rivlary as these two teams do not to yank each other's chains a bit in fun? After all, this is Da Bears and the Pack.

Believe it or not I do respect the Bears organization. They're one of the toughest NFL teams to play regardless of conditions or anything else for that matter. So please take it fun.

Used to love to watch "The Fridge" play offense and defense way back when.
Dem was da years. LOL

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Qwiks draw said:
Nope Favre is gone. Packers have a new QB, Aaron Rodgers for good,bad, or worse.
Are you sure he's gone? Is he sure he's gone? He's played that game for the last several years.
Qwiks draw said:
Have to wait and see. Wouldn't surprise me if the Pack had a rough year or two ahead of them.
I feel your QB pain, we haven't had one for years. Even back in '85 we didn't have a great QB. Jim McMahon was the first Trent Dilfer to lead his team to a Super Bowl win.
Qwiks draw said:
Lovie's okay. But would it be right for two fans of two teams who have as big a rivlary as these two teams do not to yank each other's chains a bit in fun? After all, this is Da Bears and the Pack.

Believe it or not I do respect the Bears organization. They're one of the toughest NFL teams to play regardless of conditions or anything else for that matter. So please take it fun.
The best and one of the longest lasting rivalries in the NFL. I'm taking your ribbing in the spirit you intend and haven't taken offense. I'm trying to keep my replies in the same tone which is complicated because the conversation isn't in real time and I'm trying to use little words. ;)
Qwiks draw said:
Used to love to watch "The Fridge" play offense and defense way back when.
Dem was da years. LOL
Actually I don't share your affection for Mr Perry for one reason, he scored a rushing touchdown and Sweetness did not. It's not really fair to Perry and Payton wasn't having the game of his life that day but Walter was always the key in the Bears 4P offense (Payton, Payton, Payton, Punt). Ditka even said that was the biggest regret of his career, not getting Payton in the end zone during the Super Bowl.

And believe it or not there is something that fans of the Bears and the Pack can agree on. The other 2 teams in our division are total nancies who have to play football indoors. How could they give up the advantage of making warm climate teams play outside in the frozen North in November and December?

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Whoa Whoa Whoa! Nancies? The Metrodome is a huge advantage for the Viqueens. It is so loud offenses have trouble hearing calls. The bad part is that it works for both teams not just the visitors.

·
32,760 Posts
If we can't have fun on a rivalry poking fun at each other's teams in a sporting way, then we really have hot bottom. Certainly not the case here.

Figured the little word thing went both ways. LOL Caught someone moving their lips when reading this. LOL Besides, we is teetotally edeecated.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Oh oh, I never believed that wives' tale about moderaters being omniscient but I guess you learn something new every day. Nah, can't be that. It must be the large foam cheese GB fans are so fond of wearing on their heads giving them super powers. How else could you explain why someone would intentionally wear something like that in public?

·
32,760 Posts
Hey. It works with those pyramid hats,don't it. They have super powers. Or so they think. Don't speak too harshly.
I've seen a Chicago version of the Cheesehead in Bear colors on T.V. during games. LOL

21 - 40 of 52 Posts