Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many topics on the PT145, but not so much on the PT140. I have a few questions:

1. Those who own them, do you like them as much as it seems the 145 guys like theirs?

2. I see on Taurus' site that the 140 is a DA/SA, however in many online broker descriptions, and my local gun shop, it mentions DAO. Is DA/SA a new generation thing, or is this a misprint on Taurus' part? I would like to have a DA/SA pistol (24/7), however no other Taurus pistol felt as nice in my hand.

I guess thats all for now. This will be my first pistol (home/business protection), even though i have been around shotguns rifles, etc. all my life. I hope to pick one up in the very near future, pending answers to my questions. In advance, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
790 Posts
On the Taurus site, the PT145 is described in the narrative part as DAO, but in the specs, its listed as DA/SA, which is correct. The 3rd Gen models are DA/SA, while the older ones were DAO. Maybe Taurus neglected to update the narrative copy listed below the picture? I'm not sure. I know my PT145 is DA/SA, and they do not make that model in DAO. Maybe a call to Taurus to verify?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
The Taurus website is notoriously out of date. The trigger issue is a 2nd gen vs 3rd gen issue. I have seen the 2nd gen DAO guns for sale at the gun show and across the isle the 3rd gen SA/DA models. You can tell immediately... the dovetail Heine sights are 3rd gen guns. As far as I have heard, the PT140's are as reliable as the PT145's. It's mostly a preference. Some feel the .40 S&W is a bit "snappy", however I like the round and debated which I would purchase. Since I had sold a 1911 .45 and had the reloading die, the PT145 was a natural for me. I also reload the .40 and love them in my 40. Hi-Power.

Also, a lot of guys are just simply really impressed with a gun with that be a hole in the front!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my PT140 for about a month. I was careful to make sure I got a 3rd generation which can be determined by having the letter Z as the second digit in the serial number. There were a lot of .40's in the display case where I bought mine and the fit in my hand of the PT140 was by far the best for me. About 250 rounds thru it with no problems at all. Trigger is very consistant and with practice very easy to use, not to light not too stiff. The recoil I found suprisingly mild nothing at all to be concerned over. I've used WWB 165 and Winchester Ranger 155 JHP and they both group well and have funtion perfectly. I went to EBAY and got some holsters from Holster planet that fit perfectly. Look elsewhere in this forum for how to use the Heinie Straight 8 sights the sight picture is a bit unconventional. Overall I couldn't be happier with the PT140 especially at 330.00.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've the PT140 MilPro SS DAO since July 2005. It's one of my primary carry pistols and it's been flawless since I got it. The first time I took it to the range my shots where all over the target. I bought me some snap caps and I probably pulled the trigger more than 400 times ro smooth outthe trigger. Now when I pull the trigger, I know exactly when the striker breaks loose. Since then, I have taken it to the range and my shots now are POA is POI, I love this gun! After less than a month since I got it, I got the PT111 MilPro SS DAO and it went thru the same drill as the PT140. I have made up my mind and I will also be getting the PT145Pro to complete my Millenium Pro collection. ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will keep in mind the serial number designation and sight difference while i am looking around. Now to find a local dealer that is willing to deal on one of these. Seems they all want MSRP. I would love to get one at $330 like z3406.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I can only echo what the others here have said. I really like my PT140. My only problem is my wife taking it over as her carry gun. I am seriously thinking of getting a second to carry for myself again. My SP2022 is the better gun for me to shoot but it does not conceal nearly as well as the PT140. BTW, Sportsman's Warehouse here in the twin cities regularly sells the SS version for $309.99 plus tax. They are 3rd gen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the DAO PT140 for 2 yrs now...no problems with around 1000 rounds through it. Two months ago I purchased the 3rd generation (DA/SA) PT140 (Blue) at Sportsman's Whse in St Cloud, Minn for $299.99 + tx= $320 out the door. I have yet to fire it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I love my 3rd gen PT140. The sights take a little bit a practice (which is fun any how) but this gun has been flawless and is arguably the best CCW package out there. The .40 does tend to be a little "snappy" with recoil however it's not bad it's just different and when you get used to it, it's fine. One thing I noticed is that my double tap ability is much better shooting with one hand instead of two. Not sure why but it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what i understand and what i am being told, is that it is extremely hard to get a hold of one in Maryland right now, which is why they are being priced at a premium. I am headed out tonight to look at another dealer and see what they have. My only other option is to find one online and have it transfered...which most local FFL's charge $50+ for. Wish i lived in MN, seems like i could have one in about 20 min.

Thanks for all your help...you have really helped point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
57 Posts
www.whittakerguns.com They don't have taurus prices listed one the site in new guns but they have them. I bought my pt-111 mil pro ss NEW for 294.00 I dare you to beat that!
They had a .40 too, it may have been the same price, get the number from the web site, they got great prices on all guns.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts