Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a light cleaning and took it out yesterday, had fte in the middle of the mag, and one stovepipe. Hope the little guy runs better only put 50 rounds threw it. Cleaned it out tonight. Armcor ammo which lower value. Ordered a g2s last week on special so hopefully Taurus warranty and I don’t become too friendly

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
View attachment Welcome.bmp

200 should do it. By the time you get through 200 you will have learned the proper grip and that should eliminate the stove pipe issue. Being a light weight pistol, a relaxed grip (limp wristing) is conducive to misfeed/ejection issues.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Welcome.......I agree that 200 should be good. However- out of spec ammo can malfunction in any gun. I never had any Armcor (and not saying its bad)... but did have trouble with Fiocchi in 380 in my Bersa pistols. Also had an issue with Winchester flat nose in the past.
I had some bad trouble with Freedom Ammunition remans. Ruptured case! I no longer shoot reloads.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Small guns like the Spectrum require lots of lube and a tight grip, I use grease on the rails oil on other parts, I will tell you there lots of bad ammo out there today, in my 60 some years of shooting never seen the quality as low. Change ammo first, use lube and break her in.

·
Registered
24,687 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome from northeastern Pennsylvania!

I didn't have any issues with my Spectrum from the start, but agree with the prior post which suggested giving it some time to break in. My Spectrum trigger certainly has changed character over time...for the better.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
Not sure if you're talking about a Spectrum .380 or the older PT-738.
If it's the Spectrum, you're probably going to like that G2S more.
If it's the 738, you're DEFINITELY going to like the G2 more.
If you have small hands the G2S is a good choice.
Otherwise the G2C, with its higher capacity magazine is a better choice.
I've heard good things about the new Taurus 380-UL revolver, but I haven't seen one yet.
I used to have a PT-738, but it had too many FTE's. I sent it back to Taurus for repairs and they said they couldn't repair it. So they replaced it with a G2C (a MUCH better weapon!).

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Of those 200 rounds, I would try several different brands, styles, bullet weight, bullet shape, etc. and see what your little pistol like best with you shooting.

There are a lot of old threads on shooting the 738 that fit into the same category. Bottomline is that these little micro pistols require more from the shooter than any other type of gun. These things function like a tripod in which the legs are the shooter, the gun, and the ammo. All three must be working correctly and together for success. If even one of the legs is off the whole platform will be unstable.

In my 738 with me shooting, it just loves Rem/UMC 88 grain JHP. It is very accurate, as in small groups at 25 feet and dead on reliable. Next in accuracy are 90 grain Gold dots and XTPs.

This target from 2011 is a B27 silhouette, firing standing, one hand unsupported, 25 feet, 2 magazines (13 rounds with quick mag change), rapid fire. I have several target photos like this, but I think this one is with the Speer 90 grain Gold Dots.

738_B27.jpg

NOTE: In any carry pistol I would advise you to use grease, unless you like oil stains on your clothes. On striker fired pistols, I use DFL (Dry Film Lube) on the striker assembly because it does not attract dirt, dust or grime. In dry, low humidity climates, I use DFL on the outside. Just be sure to heat up the exterior of the firearm before applying the DFL. I used a lot of Militec-1 (DFL) in Iraq and it works very well.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What would be considered break in period? 200 rounds? I’ve only had 2 other new guns and they ran fine from the get go.
I ran 200 rounds through my PT111 G2 before I added it to my carry rotation.

By comparison, I had issues with my Springfield Armory GI 1911 45 ACP. SA told me their break in recommendation for the 1911 was 500 rounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome,thanks for the welcoming and the tips, Cold in Indiana today busy fixing heaters all day. Appreciate all responses and definitely get running smoothly I hope. Was originally bought for my better half, who had most fte, but I’m thinking it’s a fine little gun. Different ammo and some patient time will likely bring it around. She shot fine groups with it at around 7 yards or so! Surprised me. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
36,454 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois. I don't have a Spectrum yet...still considering acquiring one..

PS...sorry that we sent you that cold air...:D...really sorry.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
13 Posts
TN Veteran here. I have had trouble with Armscor ammo in 22lr. So I don't buy it. I have 2 Spectrums and have tried several types of ammo and they all seem to run good. The only issues we have had is a few light primer strikes in my Spectrum. Taurus is sending me a part that hopefully will fix mine. As far as good carry ammo, Hornady Critical Defence is my choice. It cycles perfect in our pistols. Also as was said, work on your grip.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts