Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for information on this revolver. Taurus 441 3 inch barrel .
Frame size,holsters available,recommended grain weight (bullet size that is ) for best accuracy.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I have a 441 stainless 6"; great gun, the frame size mirrors that of my 6" Ruger Security Six and my Colt Trooper 357. Slightly larger than a Smiff "K" frame.
I cast my own bullets for the 44 Special, my 441 prefers the Lee 214 gr. SWC sized to .430. The bullet drops a little heavier than design weight because I use a softer alloy. I use other weights also some heavier, some lighter, all work, just that the 214 is the most consistent. One thing, please do not try to horsepower up your 44 special loads, the cylinder walls on the 441 are not very thick. Stay with published load data or factory ammunition and the gun will serve well. Mine has fired in excess of 15,000 rounds of hand loads.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 441 stainless 6"; great gun, the frame size mirrors that of my 6" Ruger Security Six and my Colt Trooper 357. Slightly larger than a Smiff "K" frame.
I cast my own bullets for the 44 Special, my 441 prefers the Lee 214 gr. SWC sized to .430. The bullet drops a little heavier than design weight because I use a softer alloy. I use other weights also some heavier, some lighter, all work, just that the 214 is the most consistent. One thing, please do not try to horsepower up your 44 special loads, the cylinder walls on the 441 are not very thick. Stay with published load data or factory ammunition and the gun will serve well. Mine has fired in excess of 15,000 rounds of hand loads.
Thanks for the bullet information and the cautions regarding hot loads.It looks like after I get it it should have a nice long life.

This is my first foray into the world of Taurus wheelguns/handguns and I am looking forward to it.Always have wanted a .44 Special.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
As a comparison point or two. I described my 1992 441 above, I bought it used and knew the original owner. I also have another 44 Special stainless that cost me exactly 4 times what I paid for the 441. The expensive one is a limited production Lew Horton S&W Model 624, round butt, target sights, target hammer and trigger, 3" barrel, 6 shot. The Smiff is a 1985 vintage gun, fine piece, beautiful, big, heavy, and came to me slightly used complete with box, papers, Ajax rose wood finger groove grips plus the OEM grips.
End of story here now: It does not perform to the same level that the 441 does, it works and works well but it does not do it as nicely as the 441 no matter what load combination I have tried in it.
Gets frustrating, I hope your 441 does as well as mine does. Good shooting!!!!!!

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a comparison point or two. I described my 1992 441 above, I bought it used and knew the original owner. I also have another 44 Special stainless that cost me exactly 4 times what I paid for the 441. The expensive one is a limited production Lew Horton S&W Model 624, round butt, target sights, target hammer and trigger, 3" barrel, 6 shot. The Smiff is a 1985 vintage gun, fine piece, beautiful, big, heavy, and came to me slightly used complete with box, papers, Ajax rose wood finger groove grips plus the OEM grips.
End of story here now: It does not perform to the same level that the 441 does, it works and works well but it does not do it as nicely as the 441 no matter what load combination I have tried in it.
Gets frustrating, I hope your 441 does as well as mine does. Good shooting!!!!!!
I've been looking for the S&W 624,but found the 441 first.
Good to know that the 441 is a good shooter for you,and hopefully also will be for for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mingaa Thank you for the welcome from StLouis,Mo.

I have passed through on my way elk hunting a few times,but never had a chance to stop and visit StL.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
36,963 Posts
We are pleased to welcome you to the forum with the finest group of handgun enthusiasts you could ever hope to associate with.

Keep us posted when you find the revolver you're looking for.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Taurus 441

We are pleased to welcome you to the forum with the finest group of handgun enthusiasts you could ever hope to associate with.

Keep us posted when you find the revolver you're looking for.
Thanks for the welcome.

Its found,hopefully on it's way to Pa.from Indiana.

My son in S.C. even found me some speedloaders at a gunshow this weekend.

Now all I need is for the gun to show up at my FFl and a quality holster.

And some ammo and time to shoot it of course.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Taurus 441

With a little research on my own found that the 441 falls in this size range.

Medium/large ((hogue calls them medium but some models are listed under "large" at Taurus) (44, 65, 80, 82, 83, 96, 431, 441, 607, 608, 669))

Makes shopping for holsters and custom grips easier.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
You will love the gun.The three inch barrel is perfect for carry and it will shoot like a dream.Mine does.Pics when you get her home.
Welcome to the crazy house as well!
Thanks for the welcome. Picked up the gun yesterday at the FFL.

I will try to post pictures later. (I"m at work and its not.)

Any holster recommedations ?

And your load recommendations.

Now with picture.:)

Reactions: cooper
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.