Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member and I work as a Security Officer and I'm thinking about buying a Taurus 9mm 24/7 or PT 92 as a duty weapon. I really like the safety features and value of the Taurus handguns. But first, I would like to hear from some members who own a 9mm 24/7 or PT 92 and find out about the pros and cons of each.

From the research I have done about the Beretta FS it seems to be a great gun, but after about 5,000 rounds or so the slide sometimes break. Is the Taurus PT 92 prone to the same problem? And what kind of duty holsters are available for the 24/7? Thanks,

·
32,570 Posts
Slide breakage has to do mostly with the guns being shot more than us civilian types will ever do. The military and police special units practice with thousands of more rounds a year than we would ordinarly. This causes more wear and tear than normal.Anything mechanical like 92s, no matter which company made them, will show signs of wearing out or needing overhaul sooner. There is a nice article in the late April Shotgun News written up about the Beretta model 92 and gets down to the nitty gritty and tells the facts as well as gets to the heart of the matter.Anything written about the Beretta can in general be said to be true to an extent for the Taurus 92. Military weapons,especially side arms are abused,neglected, and not maintained as well as they should be for the most part. That has caused most of the problems the military has had down through the decades or even centuries. Even the vaunted model 1911 was put through the wringer and had breakdowns and malfunctions because of this. Each firearm type has weak points that are accepted and the users have to deal with the shortcomings also.Not major problems, but what these guns are put through can cause them or parts to break prematurely. We have had the 24/7 and 92 critiqued here in many threads. A search here for past threads in the archives might yield what you are looking for so we do not need to rehash past questions like this. Cracked slides had to do with too much practice and higher pressure rounds than even our +P pressures would put on a frame and working parts.Also, the early guns in the 1980s had some metalurgical problems that were taken care of back then. After market magazines that have been issued with the Beretta model 92(supplies of factory mags were and never have been sufficient for the military) have been a major cause of reliability issues overseas. The author of the article teaches Special Forces regularly and was one himself. Did a tour in Afghan territory recently himself. Taurus 92s have aquited themselves well in self defense course training classes, with police forces(where officers bought their own guns), and have passed 20,000 round torture tests and still functioned well. I will let the 24/7 crowd take it from here.

·
32,570 Posts
One last note. Chuck Karwan and Mas Ayoob either have or do write the Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery. This is a annual book and the price is right and contains a litany of useful info on every aspect of shooting handguns and all that goes with it. Pick up recent copies or even the decade old ones as the info in them is untimely and useful. Taurus 92s are considered an excellent choice for those on a budget, but are police or security personnel. Civilains can learn quite a bit from these two authors as well. I keep a reference library on this kind of thing and update every year or two as needed. There are many other good authors who write for Gun Digest and Paladin Books. Police Bookshelf that Mas Ayoob runs is a very good source for anything tactical.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome aboard JK9mm. :) Have no fear, the PT92 will serve you well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. When I was going to college I studied a lot about the teachings of Mas Ayoob, he has always been one of my favorite authors. He has contributed so much to Police Science and Criminal Justice.

Over the weekend I got the opportunity to rent a Beretta 92 FS, a Taurus PT 92, a Glock 17, and a Ruger P95 at my local shooting range. It was a lot of fun :) All four are great guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts