Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first post here, but I've been lurking around since December.
I picked up my Taurus the first week of January 2008 & love it. Took it to the range once Jan & for the second time Sun, Feb 17th.
At first everything was going well that Sunday... a couple mags through & no issues.
Then I was getting failure to ejects every other round & suddenly I could no longer eject unfired rounds by racking the slide. I had to drop the clip & rack the slide slightly to let the round fall out the grip.

Upon inspection it seems the round is being pushed "out" early & cannot clear the slide & I am thinking the extractor has somehow moved forward on me.
Anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

Here are a few pics of what is going on, in case I didn't describe it well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Administrator
40,090 Posts
It appears to me that the empty case has been ejected and the fresh round is nosing to the right. Are the lips of the magazine bent out of alignment in any way? Do both mags do this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, at first nothing was ejecting, but after cleaning it seems to eject properly now.
It feeds correctly but I cannot manually rack the slide to eject an unfired round - which we must do at the range every time a cease is called. The round does nose to the right & hit the slide wall - but that is only when the slide is racked.
The mag lips are fine, and it's happening with 3 mags, the two that came with the gun & the one I had ordered from cheaper than dirt as soon as I purchased the gun.

Sorry if I am being obvious in my responses, I just want to be clear. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Looks like the nose of the unfired bullet is hanging up against the barrel. If it was a fired round it would clear no problem. If it was a JHP it would probably eject without touching the barrel too.

For me, whenever I have to clear, I drop the mag and rack the slide with my hand over the breach. Live round falls through the mag well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have a 22 pistol with a weak extractor, I often place my thumb over it to apply some extra pressure to help extract spent rounds while working the slide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
milkjuggz - Yes, I mistyped in my original post, the unfired round is actually hanging on the tail end of the barrel. Are you saying that your 24/7 will not easily eject an unfired round through the breach either? I find this odd as I used to be able to with no problem when I first got the pistol in Januaury.

BTW: I am primarily using winchester white box, but when this started happening I switched over to my brother's federal & then some range reloads. All with the same results.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am having the same problem with my wife's 9mm. We have not been to the range in a while but we didn't have any problems with it ejecting empty cases. But at home with a live FMJ in the chamber it hangs up and the only way to get it out is to hold the slide open and wiggle it, getting it to drop out the bottom. We use JHP for home defense and have no problems with it ejecting these. If I hear of anything or get this problem fixed I will post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Dante, I appreciate it.
I'm so confused about this because I remember having no problems with this before.
It's just like all of a sudden something happened internally & I can't figure out what. It's almost as if the ejector pin has somehow moved forward, but it seems like it's a fixed object (am I wrong about this - I am certainly no gunsmith).

·
Registered
99 Posts
We bought ours used so I could tell you if this was inherent from the beginning. I reread your posts from the beginning and ours has not had any FTE problems at all. Cleaning all of the storage gunk goes a long way with a gun. I have tried the really rough slide rack to eject a FMJ round and it works about 30% of the time. I can't figure it out. Using JHP's at home makes all the difference it ejects those everytime that and 2 .45's for back up. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
have you tried to return it to where you got it from?i just had a problem with misfiring with my wifes and the place i got it from a month age just gave us a new one yesterday.if they wont i would say its time to send it in to taurus.i know it sucks but at least it will be fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did bring it back where I bought it, but had bought it used, so only had 15 days to return it. :(

Spoke with someone there that I normally don't deal with - he's one of the people that said it was a 'design flaw'. I am going to try once more this week (talking to one of the people there - the one I purchased 4 firearms from in the past 6 months - including this one) & see if he gives me a better answer.

If not, I guess I will have to send it in to Taurus, it's just not something I really want to do (have read here & elsewhere about turnaround on repairs) not having the 24/7 for a month or whatever is better than not having it working correctly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Mr. Frank!

After reading your other post, I tried to eject an unfired round and couldn't do it either!

When I pull the slide back, it will not go ALL the way back and allow me to lock it open!

(The poll doesn't have enough pollsters to make a judgment based on the poll, either!)

Has anyone found an answer to this, as Glenn_Frank posted multiple places???

My gun appears as in Mr. Frank's posted photos.

Now I am concerned, as well!

Please respond,

Hlaser

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Solution

I had this same problem with my new 3rd gen PT145 Millennium Pro 45ACP. It ejected spent cases fine, but would jam when clearing unfired rounds or snap caps. I found that on my pistol, the problem was a combination of the extractor not pressing the rim enough and lack of clearance at the lower front right corner of the ejection port. If I tried to clear an unfired round, the bullet nose would hit the port corner and knock the rim off the extractor. The round would then lay there and sometimes jam the gun as the slide went forward and trapped the round between the breech face of the slide and the right rear of the barrel.

In the following link, I describe how I tuned the extractor and flared the port. My PT145 now cycles snap caps and unfired rounds with aplomb, hurling them well clear. It also ejects spent cases smartly with machine-like regularity. I am not a professional gunsmith, but have been know to tinker with my guns. This it not something I recommend for a first time home gunsmith and I would not want any of you to void your lifetime warranties.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6232.0

The above photo shows the port beveling job on the inner lower front corner of the ejection port for better clearance when racking the slide to unchamber live rounds. Before the porting, the nose of an unfired round could hit the edge of the port, fail to eject, and sometimes jam. This photo also shows an unfired 230gr 45ACP round being held in place by the tuned extractor on the bare slide. Before tuning the extractor, such a round would slip off by gravity. Don't try to hand load a round like this on an assembled gun as it is very dangerous, remove the slide and barrel first!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just fired my 1st 50 rounds of a new PT 145 PRO and wanted to eject a live round. Had the same problem - can't eject the live round. Had to drop the mag, empty it, then re-chamber the hung up round and fire it . . . . not real happy with that situation. Tried another mag with same problem. The gun was re-cleaned & checked finding nothing. Chambered a FMJ, tried to eject it . . . and found the slide STOPS about 3/8" SHORT from engaging the slide release. The nose of the bullet can't clear the barrel.

I'm no gun smith - guess I'll be calling "customer service".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Short story::
Bass Pro gun smith shop was to send it back to Taurus for repair but called me back & said they found my .45 had an ejector in it made for the :eek: 9mm!
I gave them the OK to trim the length of the ejector and it is ejecting live rounds just fine . . . now I have to work on those pitiful sights. It's a bitch switching to guns with normal sights after shooting with "snowmen", and for no good reason.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I simply drop the magazine and pull back the slide. Round drops out the magazine well, and not out the side port. Else, hold upside down and shake a bit and it will fall out

1 - 20 of 24 Posts