Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the People's Republic of California. I have a new 17 Tracker in stainless. It's a blast to shoot. Before it, for at least 20 years, I shot 75% .22 long through a S&W Mod 41 and about 25% 9mm through a Beretta 92FS. This will be my first wheel gun in 30 years. The Tracker's fit and finish is awesome. The size and heft cause a lot of comment. Hardly anyone out here in my part of SoCal has every seen one. When they first see and feel the weight of the the pistol they assume it's at least a 38 and are amazed when the see its chambered in 17 HMR.

I'm eager to find out if you can sight on a varmint at 150 yards and hit it since the trajectory is so flat and there is so little drop.

What mounts and rings do you recommend and what scope? What does a good 200 yard scope rig cost?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Central IA

I'm not a wheel gun guy, but there are several aficionado's of the style on this board and they can better answer your question.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Hi from the Magnolia State!

Yep, just hang tight, and some of our Taurus wheel gun gurus should be along to assist you. ;)

Congratulations of your acquisition of the new Tracker. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Welcome from N Carolina!!!!

Sunday mornings are a little slow sometimes for the westerners 'round here to answer your question.... LOL

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have the 17 HMR Trackers in blue and stainless, both 8" barrels. 2 X 8 Weaver on one a 4 X on the other, they take the same Tracker scope bases for all the Trackers that mount to the rib. You lose a lot of the HMR velocity with just a 6" or 8" barrel, the 12" barrel on the silhouette Tracker they made for a while did not lose as much. With the velocity loss of the 6" and 8" barrels the bullets often do not expand at ranges past 140/150 yards and not very good from the short barrels at 125/130 yards. I usually limit critter shots to around the 100/125 yard limit with the shorter barrels. A 17 caliber hole through something does not do a lot of damage unless you hit brains or vital organs. Ground hogs at 100 yards is doable and I have, but the bullet mushrooms and seldom exits. A bad shot gives you a crawler to deal with. Your ground squirrels are smaller and if you can hit them you could extend the ranges some. Play with different ammo, some revolvers are picky some not with the little pills. Burn powder and have fun. Past 8 X on handgun scopes your eye relief gets a lot shorter. Burris makes a good 3 X 12 that I use on Contenders and bolt action handguns but at 12 X the eye relief is short for a handgun.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Registered
339 Posts
nice, i have had a blued 6.5" m17 Tracker for the last 8 years. the 17gr V-max'es chrono at 1870fps from that barrel, down quite abit from the advertised 2550fps. i have shot a couple of red squirrels with it, but only at shorter ranges.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have the 17 HMR Trackers in blue and stainless, both 8" barrels. 2 X 8 Weaver on one a 4 X on the other, they take the same Tracker scope bases for all the Trackers that mount to the rib. You lose a lot of the HMR velocity with just a 6" or 8" barrel, the 12" barrel on the silhouette Tracker they made for a while did not lose as much. With the velocity loss of the 6" and 8" barrels the bullets often do not expand at ranges past 140/150 yards and not very good from the short barrels at 125/130 yards. I usually limit critter shots to around the 100/125 yard limit with the shorter barrels. A 17 caliber hole through something does not do a lot of damage unless you hit brains or vital organs. Ground hogs at 100 yards is doable and I have, but the bullet mushrooms and seldom exits. A bad shot gives you a crawler to deal with. Your ground squirrels are smaller and if you can hit them you could extend the ranges some. Play with different ammo, some revolvers are picky some not with the little pills. Burn powder and have fun. Past 8 X on handgun scopes your eye relief gets a lot shorter. Burris makes a good 3 X 12 that I use on Contenders and bolt action handguns but at 12 X the eye relief is short for a handgun.
Well stated! I have the 17 in 6.5" barrel and have used it out to about 100 yds but like you said there was little room for error. I use a 2-7 scope and it does wonders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice. Thank you all, especially you "OldRedneck" Gonna post a new thread -- for a person to person 970 sale. California requires some "flexibility" to get what you want. Crossroads of the West is here this weekend in San Diego. What are the chances . . . . . ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts