Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd ask you much more knowledgeable folks about this - I've picked up some used PT99/92 mags and I wondered if I can get new floor plates for then so that they will feel a bit more comfortable. This is what I would like to change out:

Taurus PT92 99 mag.jpg

the floor plate is a bit chewed up - the mags work perfectly fine, but I would like the very bottom to be more like my other mags - which of course, I did NOT take a picture of, sorry!

Anyway - what do you people think - can I get new floor plates, if so from where, or am I being too picky - just put up with the rough edges and soldier on? Of course I did call Taurus to see about floor plates - they didn't have any and new mags are back ordered, HA! :judge:

·
Registered
15,646 Posts

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
You can get baseplates from Beretta for ~$3 per, and they're nice plastic ones with steel inserts. How many busted plain baseplates do you have?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can use a metal file to smooth the rough edges and then repaint them to look "normal". I fixed up a couple of semi-junk magazines I bought at gun shows that way.

Reactions: seafra and Sekol

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you one and all - I knew that I would get help - and ya'll came thru!

Thank You.jpg

Reactions: HD-Mike

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
If it were me, I would pull out the Dremel Tool with the proper fine grinding attachment and go to work. Then either touch it up with some black paint or you can get a small can of liquid rubber to cover and seal the base plate with at your local home improvement store.

But then I'm cheap, have you seen my recycled range bags?

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Either one of the following will work, too (I just tried them). Not perfect, but will work out of the box (even matching center hole lock). Better with a little Dremel lengthening of the plastic groove for magazine metal base flange. Unfortunately, Midway out of stock and S&W didn't show them in their store - might be able to call S&W and order direct. Might also try calling / email MecGar - they don't show as separate item on web, but may have for the Taurus or Beretta 92.

Smith & Wesson Mag Base Pad S&W M&P 9mm Luger 357 Sig 40 S&W

Smith & Wesson Mag Floorplate Finger Rest Extension S&W M&P 40C M&P 9C

Reactions: Sekol

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Orrrr, it'd be a good reason to get MecGar Plus2 bases
Those, or the Pearce +2 extensions, as shown on my Armscore/Tanfoglio MAP1 below.
I've also used these extensions on my PT92 Magazines, but now I'm using the newer Mec-Gar 20 round AFC Magazines.

Armscore/Tanfoglio RIA MAP1 9x19mm with Hogue Grip and Magazine with Pearce Grip Magazine +2 Extension

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cute bullets, jwc!

I think we might try the dremel first. If this doesn't help - then I can spring for floor platez or just be sure to buy mags that already have them. Thanks for the help, folks! This revolver gal occasionally needs it! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts