Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the wait is over and the SS M85 sent to replace my malfunctioning M650 showed up at my FFL. In the name of not repeating my mistakes and not choosing ignorance, I resisted the temptation of just taking delivery of the gun. I have been studying and put to practice the revolver buyers guide made available to me by this most awesome site, to evaluate any future firearms. I practiced on my M617, which used to be out of tolerance, to familiarize myself with the protocol. When I went in to take delivery of the SS M85 today I gave it the "once over"; head space, B/C clearance (.002ish in full lock up) , hammer and trigger tightness, aesthetic quality of the frame, breach face, forcing cone, bore, crown, were all in order. I am however a tiny bit concerned about the timing. I believe I saw a very minuet bit of overlap on a few of the cylinders when testing for timing. We're talking about the difference of a human hair. I was wearing my glasses. I shone a light through the breach-face by the firing pin and looked down the barrel from the crown checking each cylinder in total lock up, trigger pulled back. Is there any other way to tell. It was very minuet or subtle to the point of possible optical illusion based on possibly having it torqued at a slight angle that I did not notice while looking at it. It was by no means obvious where one would see it immediately or there was a obvious overlap. I guess I'm a little paranoid too since my M650 suffered from such severe timing issues. One other observation was that the lock up was not as impressive as my 617 which I just got a new cylinder stop for. Like maybe the cylinder stop on the new SS M85 was manufactured slightly to thin. I can always get a new one quickly but maybe that had something to do with it? I dunno?..... The gun is on stand by because it was too late in the day to get a response regarding the back ground check which I am not worried about. (I know, I know, time to get my CCW). It is however a nicely finished piece in SS, very good looking little snubby!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats may you enjoy it as long as I have mine.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You may very well find small things that you feel are....not right, so to speak. Be sure and install some rounds and see if you have any rubs on the recoil shield. I don't think you mentioned that area in your examination. I have had three small frame center fires shipped to me that would hardly turn-over when loaded due to case rims dragging the recoil shield....which can be fixed with a little polishing. The BTCG is a tad "tight", but that seems to be habitual with Taurus. It's not a bad thing, but may cause some fouling and extra cleaning under somewhat constant fire....as in range-work. As far as the other stuff you mentioned concerning the timing, etc.....see below.

I have a couple of revolvers that are so far out of BTCG and end-shake tolerances along with pretty severe cylinder-wobble, a normal person may be afraid to even shoot them. BUT....they shoot like clockwork. Once the bullet leaves the chamber and hits the forcing cone, a minute amount of misalignment will likely not cause a problem. Some folks may take issue with this, but in reality....as the gun is fired it wears and a lot of people out here are shooting guns now with BTCG's of .012 without issues. If you can't "see" it.....you will not be completely sure of the timing until you shoot it....and it doesn't "spit".

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
It sounds like you checked it out pretty thourghly and it passed inspection. Personally I would rather have at least .003" B/C gap as it don't take much fowling to start causing drag. JMHO!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the B/C was closer to .004 until full lock up when it went to .002, which is where the inspection instructions said to gage it. Either way it is mine now and I have worked through my 617 with some severe B/C issues and it has evolved into a great shooter. Actually .002 is where a snubby should be. I have a new cylinder stop in the mail anyway (what the heck, can't hurt, cheap enough and ofcourse side plate screws, I always fubar them even with smithing screwdrivers). The bottom line is only the range will tell and I always do a quick clean and oil when shooting my Tauri after about 35 rounds, also let them cool a little (at least the blued ones).

When I opened it up I noticed they cleaned the heck out of the internals. It was just about spit shine clean inside. After a little wiping and some balistol oil I buttoned her up and got the snap caps right in there. I was expecting a worse DA trigger pull and although it is stout it has a real nice break and reset, no grit. I have some crocus paper and Mothers polish standing by, 1550vt ;) but honestly I think I got lucky with this one, it is one clean specimen. Already have the combat grips on there.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
That's a fine lookin' revolver!

I hoping you'll be very pleased with it.

I've had my blued M85 for twenty years and have never had an issue with it.

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Congratulations on your new firearm.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's hard to beat a good shooting model 85, or any of the line-up in that same frame family. Taurus habitually installs Godzilla-like springs. I suppose they want to make sure all their guns will pop-the-cap and let the user decide on tuning TP or not. They routinely use a 11-12 pound hammer spring and a heavy rebound spring while other revolvers come stock with 9 and even 8.5 pound hammer springs. Once you get the gun shot-in and polished-up, hope she is a good shooter.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
You hear nothing but good things about the M85. I'm sure your new one will give you many years of flawless service.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Good pics and nice looking carry piece you have there.

The 85 is certainly a Taurus top fixture for all these decades.
​+1 - You're dog gone right it is!

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I've about 500 rnds through my newly acquired M85 and am really liking the little revolver. I put the combat grips with the pinky extension on it and it handles pretty well. I also put some paint on the sights which really helps me.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I've about 500 rnds through my newly acquired M85 and am really liking the little revolver. I put the combat grips with the pinky extension on it and it handles pretty well. I also put some paint on the sights which really helps me.
It really helps older (61) shooters like myself. Here is a photo of how I did the sights on my 2007 Mdl 85SS2UL. Since doing this I've cut the time of my "Mozambique Drills" in half!

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I've owned several J frame S&W's ,Charters and Rossi 88's but I've had 2 38 Spl. snubbies that stick out in my mind ....both 85's one a 2 1/4 inch Shiney SS 85 that was ported...and the other was a UL Blued model with a 2.5 in barrel...both where fantastic little guns ....I wish I would have kept'em I'm broke after my PD purchase ..but when I have some coin saved I may start looking for another

1 - 20 of 20 Posts