Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a picture I just took of the M44C I picked up this evening along with my well worn-in 608SS4. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=277 Hopefully I will get to shoot this in the next week or two and report on that. First impressions were mixed. First, I really like the blue of this one in person; it's nice, shiny and has that case colored sheen to it. The weight is nice for carry, 31 oz compared to 44 oz on the 608. Now the negative; the fiber-optic front site seems cheap and flimsy; I am afraid it may be blown off by the porting. Secondly, I was testing the action and after I cocked the hammer back, I went to pull the trigger while slowly releasing the hammer and while the hammer released (actually it went 'dead' and just fell forward), the trigger stayed in the locked back position. I had to jiggle the hammer and trigger to get the trigger to release. I really hope this is not an issue as overall I really like it and think it will make a great addition to my collection (it's my first 44 mag revolver). I feel I got a really good deal on this as well; my local dealer had the blued for $319.00 and the stainless for $365.00; I couldn't find anybody else online that could beat that. Their website is www.sportingarms.com and they are great people to deal with. Anybody else have one or have had any similar issues with the hammer/trigger engaging? Like I said, overall I really like it and I hope it proves to be a trooper like the 608.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am a newbe as you can see I have a 24/7 pro ss, a .38 2" lite for the Ms. and a .44 Tracker 4" ported blued all new. That gun is great I've shot alot through mine no problems!
The Ms. loves that gun even though she just got her CHL with the 24/7 and carries the .38. It's great so far I haven't shot reloads yet, just factory but it's on the money.
I keep it by my bed loaded with Speer gold dot 180 (costly from factory) but shot under 2" at 25 yards and real good on the Ms. hand. Hope you like yours, I got mine for $388.00 at acadamey sports.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought the very same gun (M44C) new. First time at the range the little gun didn't do so well.When I shot 44mag. the cases stuck in the cylinder so bad I had to use a wooden dowel to remove them.On about every other shot the hammer/trigger would lock up solid.Took some work to free them up. On 44 special the empty csases were exrememly hard to eject.Sent the gun back to Taurus.6 weeks later I got it back. The cylinder was replaced and the lock up problem was also fixed.It works flawlessly now.
Makes me wonder why they didn't fix these problems before it went as a new gun?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info acerman; I have the feeling that I might be in the same boat once I can get it to the range. I also agree that much time/expense/hassle could be saved by getting it right on the front-end instead of the back.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I bought my 4 " m44cp in stainless new about a month ago and shot a box of 240gr pmc jacketed through it at the range. while extraction was a little sticky, it was about the same as my model twenty nine, it did shoot a little to the left out of the box but when I adjusted the sights it was fine. I had a choice between the Taurus and the Ruger and I din't feel like paying and extra 200 bucks for a drawer gun/ hunting pistol. So far I have no complaints except when I go to find a holster for the beast but that was on another post.:)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range Report

I got out to the range today with my new M44C 2" and I am overall very happy with it. I shot a total of 110 rounds at two different ranges; first at 15 yds and then at 7 yds. I am very pleased with the gun at both of these distances and find it very mild to shoot (of course, after shooting the 460/454 everything feels mild to me!). I shot 50 rounds of Blazer 44spl 200gr GDHP, 50 rounds of Magtech 44spl 240gr L-flat, 5 rounds of Blazer 44mag 240gr JHP (I left the box at home but will shoot them all next time) and 5 rounds of Winchester SuperX 44spl 200gr Silvertip HP (my current intended carry round). I did have two issues with the gun however. First, the flimsy front sight blew off at about 50 rounds; secondly, the trigger 'seized' up 4 times during shooting in DA mode. I would attempt to fire in DA mode and as I pulled the trigger back it would only travel so far and then stop; I had to release the trigger quickly and then re pull. I will most likely try to locate a higher quality front sight as opposed to sending it in to Taurus to have another factory sight put on. For now, I actually just slid the plastic red piece back into the front sight & used super-glue. As far as the strange trigger lock up, I will continue to monitor it as I shoot it more but as of now I have no qualms in using it as a carry gun. Now, for the range report. Again I think it shot very nicely for a snub and I will get better as I become more accustomed to it. The trigger pull was fine in either SA or DA and recoil/muzzle blast were more tame than I had expected. All of my shots were off hand. I started with 15 yds and shot 30 rounds (including the 5 magnum rounds); I shot moderate pace and double handed. I then moved to 7 yds and shot 70 rounds in DA at a fast/moderate pace (mostly I was really pushing the '1 second' rule imposed by the range) and I shot equally between double, strong and weak arm. The flyers are all from my weak arm; I need to work on that!

·
Registered
846 Posts
That has a different site than my 4", mine has an insert instead of what yours look as fiber optic. I just shot mine today, again no problems. Maybe a touch of super glue in just the right place, just a sugestion.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thoughts exactly shooter, after I took the photos I did use super glue; when I get it out next time I will post if it stays on or not.

·
Registered
275 Posts
What I can see of your fine revolver it is very classey...how about a profile picture shot.

Your exploits with the targets is extremely good, wish I could stil shoot like that.

Never did much close up double action shooting, now I wish I had.

My Taurus M-441 has a great double action pull, is this the norm for all Taurus revolvers.

TB C45

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I am curious now Does the cp in M44cp stand for a six round cylinder? Or does it stand for a bigger frame? How does taurus name their models?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ace, maybe the 'cp' stands for "Six Pack" and they forgot six starts with an 's'. Seriously though, I do not know the answer. I would like to have one more round, but it was not a deal breaker for me by any means.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts