Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in another thread I spoke so nicely about how great Taurus firearms are, as all of mine have been perfect. Well, I must have cursed myself as the Tracker .44 2" I ordered through a local FFL arrived and I'm not really sure what happened to it other than it was a factory mistake. The FFL certainly wouldn't have done this, and the gun looks to be new out of the box, but take a look at the barrel crown, or I should say where the crown usually exists.

The crown has been cut away, and the barrel, which would normally be attached to the front is now free floating in the barrel cover. It was not done with a normal drill bit as the cut is flat, not beveled like a standard bit would create, almost like it was supposed to put the flat surface as seen on a couple of the other Taurus revolvers. However the cut went too deep and cut the barrel from the front support. You can actually see the barrel is not aligned with the cut hole.

Needles to say I'm not real pleased as I really like the feel and look of this revolver and just want to shoot it. I won't be shooting the gun as it could be dangerous at this point with the barrel over to one side and I don't play around with magnum guns.

I will call Taurus tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully I don't get the run around. I will post the results sometime tomorrow.

Does anyone know if there is a "go to guy or gal" at Taurus? I think I remember someone mentioning a person named Richard or something like that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Paul.

Good news! I just got off the phone and the fairly friendly lady service rep is a having the gun picked up tomorrow by FedEx and has put a rush on the repair (3 weeks)! So far I'm very pleased with the support from Taurus. Oh, and it took about 10 seconds to get her on the phone once I was connected to Taurus.

I made sure to call early, before the customer service people had a full day of dealing with unhappy customers and used plenty of "yes ma'am, no ma'am's as well as many "please and thank you's". I was fully prepared for the worst, and was completely surprised at the responses from the customer service rep.

Honestly, at this point with my experience with my other Taurus products, I'd pay to have the barrel replaced as I really like the feel of this gun. I even told the service rep this, but she said that was not necessary as the gun has a lifetime and they will take care of it.

I'll post back with any news I hear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Unfortunate about the gun, but it sounds like they'll take care if it for ya. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I was a machinist briefly many years ago. The cut looks like is was done intentionally on a milling machine with a square tipped bit. I would not discount the possibility someone did it intentionally and fubared the gun in the process. They may have thought the barrel was all one piece of metal and then, surprise! Oh s**t! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
21,944 Posts
thats deffently fubard but it sounds like they are going to take care of it. I look over every gun I buy and will breake it down in front of a sales man some will even help I've refused to take posestion of a gun once. The gun shop was a little pissed but I ordered a functioning gun not a hunk of metal, When they started to grip I asked in a loud voice are you a gun shop or a salvage yard. the attention drawn, changed there attitude.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
45 Forever said:
thats deffently fubard but it sounds like they are going to take care of it. I look over every gun I buy and will breake it down in front of a sales man some will even help I've refused to take posestion of a gun once. The gun shop was a little pissed but I ordered a functioning gun not a hunk of metal, When they started to grip I asked in a loud voice are you a gun shop or a salvage yard. the attention drawn, changed there attitude.
That's what you have to do with new guns. And if the ffl doesn't like it, too bad. Would they buy a new car without a test drive? Probably not.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it was not real smart of me to take the gun, but is was a rushed deal (both of us were in a hurry as we both had other things to attend to).

However, I had left a message for which took him awhile to respond to as he's active duty Air Force. Once he finally got back to me he offered to get another one just like it and swap me straight over. By this time I had already made arrangements to have the gun picked up.

He's a local FFL and I was very pleased at his offer, but since this is not a gun I really needed or am in dire straights for, I figured I'd give Taurus's customer service a test run. He then offered to give me a very deep discount on my next purchase which is far more than any gunshop I've dealt with has done for me in the past. When the other gun arrives, I may just go and pick it up as I wouldn't mind having two of them...

VegasGuy, I've done some machining and been around it a bit and I agree to the type of cut. The barrel has a flat cut on it, which left a very thin lip of metal that was folded back into the barrel. For the life of me I can't imagine why someone would do this to a snubbie. Weirder still, there was no shavings or particles from the hack job, but there was unburnt powder and a bunch of the thick oil I've seen in other new Taurus products. There is even evidence of what ever machine or fixture the barrel was in was chattering or bouncing up and down. It's kind of like when a machinist waits to long to change the bearings on a crank turning machine and there's chatter marks on the bearing surface.

I'm thinking it was a Friday beer thirty product or the machinist fell asleep...

The gun is now on it's way to Taurus, and the clock is ticking.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Justice4all said:
VegasGuy, I've done some machining and been around it a bit and I agree to the type of cut. The barrel has a flat cut on it, which left a very thin lip of metal that was folded back into the barrel. For the life of me I can't imagine why someone would do this to a snubbie. Weirder still, there was no shavings or particles from the hack job, but there was unburnt powder and a bunch of the thick oil I've seen in other new Taurus products. There is even evidence of what ever machine or fixture the barrel was in was chattering or bouncing up and down. It's kind of like when a machinist waits to long to change the bearings on a crank turning machine and there's chatter marks on the bearing surface.
You said the barrel is now free floating. The chatter likely started when the barrel broke free during the milling process. In addition to the barrel chatter, that's when you would have heard an excited utterance coming from the machinist. ;)

My guess is the guy was going to countersink into the bore, and then cut some threads for whatever he was going to screw onto the end of the barrel. A noise suppressor, maybe?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*Update* Taurus just sent me a letter saying they've received the gun and will "process" it in 6-7 weeks. It's supposed to be a three week deal, but hey, as long as they fix it and I don't have to pay, it's fine by me.

My local FFL received another gun identical to the one he sold me with the exact same issues. Sounds like it will be going back home for some work as well. I wonder if Taurus actually has a Q.C. department that checks their products after they're finished, but before they leave the shop? Sure doesn't seem like it.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Justice4all said:
*Update* Taurus just sent me a letter saying they've received the gun and will "process" it in 6-7 weeks. It's supposed to be a three week deal, but hey, as long as they fix it and I don't have to pay, it's fine by me.

My local FFL received another gun identical to the one he sold me with the exact same issues. Sounds like it will be going back home for some work as well. I wonder if Taurus actually has a Q.C. department that checks their products after they're finished, but before they leave the shop? Sure doesn't seem like it.
Thanks for the update, Justice4all. It is pretty hard to imagine the type of person that would be doing the final assembly at the Taurus factory and completely miss this.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Justice4all said:
Well that kinda sucks!! They told you 3 weeks and now it's 6-7, I would be disappointed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: Taurus returned the revolver and said there was no problem... I'm not even sure how they would explain that one seeing as how there is an obvious and blatant defect.

This time the FFL called and arranged for FedEx to pick it up. So, back it goes and this time I put red tape around the barrel and a large font note explaining what is wrong, what to do to fix it (replace barrel) and to not bother sending it back if they can't deal with it properly.

At this point the FFL won't take it back, especially as he just sent in another revolver with the same issue and I really can't sell the paperweight to anyone in good conscience.

My patience is starting to wear thin.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
oh boy, thats not good i hear this sort of thing all to often of taurus not fixing guns..
i hope they fix it this time.. you know i would think this is a lawsuit waiting ot happen.. guns not working right you send it in the say it's not broken.. you fire it and get injured or killed.

you should'nt have ot point out exactly step by step how to fix the problem.. this is pisspoor service.

i hope they fix it this time.. i pray i never have to send my guns in for repair as i have no faith at all it'll be fixed with as many time as i hear about this kinda treatment.

VegasGuy said:
You said the barrel is now free floating. The chatter likely started when the barrel broke free during the milling process. In addition to the barrel chatter, that's when you would have heard an excited utterance coming from the machinist. ;)

My guess is the guy was going to countersink into the bore, and then cut some threads for whatever he was going to screw onto the end of the barrel. A noise suppressor, maybe?
possible.. but you ca'nt suppress a revolver.. least not with much effectiveness.
i thought the barrels was one sold piece as well on the trackers.. id did'nt realize it was fitted in there like a sleeve.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I've had it. Twice it's gone back and twice they've found no problem. Please, someone tell me I'm blind because how they couldn't see the fu--ed barrel crown is a mystery to me.

I can't in good faith continue to purchase their products if this is how it's going to go on any other troubles I may have. I'm now stuck with a $450 paper weight as I cannot sell this defective pistol to anyone, it wouldn't be right. I will either call the customer service manager tomorrow or I'll put some holes through this revolver with some A.P. ammo and one of my rifles. I'll be sure to post pics...

I'm far and away from being wealthy and shooting weapons or buying them is the one and only thing I do for a hobby and barely at that. This kind of money outlay is extremely painful especially when I have nothing to show for it.

Taurus does make some fine weapons, however, they seem to have some people problems, especially in the quality control department. This is a flaw in either hiring, training or both. As such, I have lost faith in them and do not feel comfortable with owning their products. As soon as I can, my PT1911, 617, 627 and Raging Bull are going. If you live in Utah and are looking for the aforementioned handguns, PM me and we'll talk.

·
Registered
279 Posts
man i wish i was near ya....i'd like to have another 627 and 617

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did you say raging bull? what caliber? im not in the utah area but i sure would be willing to pay for shipping an ffl charges given the right price!!!

JT :devil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
What ever happened with this...I just bought a new one and the crown looks just like yours, I have to believe they all were done this way.
If any of you have one, I would like to know if yours looks the same.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sounds and looks to me like this is the way the gun is finished now.... I have seen 2 in the loacal shops that look similar ... may not be a problem just the way it is..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts