Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok folks I am going to need a sticky here for my Taurus revolvers LOL.

I purchased a NIB 3" ported M327 from CDNN for $219.00 couldn't resist. I received the gun today at my FFL. I brought my feeler gage but I forgot my bore light. Amazingly (conveniently) they did not have one at the gun store. The head space is right on the nose 0.060, maybe 0.059 but I'll take it. B/C gap was right at .004 (maybe one at .003) in full lock up for all cylinders(nice). No yoke or crane end float. Trigger was smooth and crisp no end play, or side play in DA/SA, action has no binding, stacking, sear click, hitching or hammer knuckling. No over travel, end play, side play in single or double action. S/A is about 3#-4# pull, D/A is about 12# (one of the benefits to this distributer special model with pink grips and 3" ported barrel is; a lighter than 19# trigger pull in D/A, 19# being roughly what most M85 D/A trigger pulls are). This was obviously done with females in mind i.e. the pink grip and the longer ported barrel to quiet recoil. Why Taurus would not do this (in the lighter springs) for all their revolvers is way beyond me. The 12#(roughly) D/A pull is absolutely perfect, just phenomenal. No replacing stock with Wolff springs necessary.

Barrel Rifling, Crown, forcing cone all perfect. Ratchet teeth do not rub frame are free of burring and look to be properly staked to achieve timing. Beautiful bluing (love that Taurus bluing)! So far just a fine specimen. The one noticeable issue with the revolver is subtle side to side movement with the cylinder in full lock up. I checked the cylinder stop and the area where it extends through the frame. The cylinder stop looks new: plenty of "meat" on it. Has a tiny tiny bit of side play in the opening where is sticks through the frame but nothing abnormal. At the time I could not check cylinder bore to barrel alignment because I had no bore light or micro flash light. I called the gun smith over. He checked the cylinder and said to the best of his knowledge this was probably within spec for Taurus. Since everything else was spot on I decided, well I'll take the chance and accepted it.

Got it home. Thoroughly cleaned it. Swapped out the pink grips. Got my bore light and micro flash light. With each cylinder in full lock up I shone the light down the barrel from the crown and checked barrel to cylinder bore alignment. Three of the bores aligned perfect even with a little side play, three showed slight overlap if I touched the cylinder causing side play. Overlap meaning when I looked down the barrel and touched the cylinder, causing the subtle movement in the looseness, it created a slight lip (overlap) probably .003 or so, on the side in the direction I pushed the cylinder. This is telling me with lead bullets I could get some leading (maybe not) but more than likely with leaded of FMJ I may get some fliers. I may also lead up the forcing cone.

It is in my humble opinion that I probably need a new cylinder. If the cylinder stop was undersized I would probably get slop and barrel to cylinder overlap for all the bores. Seeing how some of the bores are tighter and better aligned than others tells me that most likely some of the milled slots on the cylinder are not evenly or over-milled causing some bores to be slightly out of alignment with the barrel.

Any opinions would be appreciated. I will be calling Taurus tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally, I'd put about a hundred rounds through it to see if could confirm a "flyer" trend. Secondly, next time I buy a revolver I'd like to take you with me; I'll bring the borescope...LOL.

Calling Taurus appears to be the best you can do.

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Premium Member
15,932 Posts
All I can say is, WOW!! That is the most complete prior to accepting report I have ever seen, with the addition of the after getting it home report.

You seem to love perfection, and I hope it is accomplished on this gun. Maybe I should go over my revolvers again to see how they measure up???

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Dawg-gone-it, if you don't seem to have more problems out of Taurus revolvers than anyone I've heard of.

I guess sometimes you get to feeling that if you didn't have "bad luck", that you wouldn't have any luck at all.

I'm blessed, I guess, in that I've owned owned four Taurus revolvers and have only recently had to send one of them back (Judge Ultralight) because the gas shield came out after firing the gun.

Contact Taurus and get the ball rolling. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Reactions: AdesteAnimo

·
Registered
239 Posts
Read my 327 post .my 2" just came back today .I shot 3 shots into .395 hole the other three went wild with spritz on me on the first target I shot out of the box,- sounds like yours, .it came back with the same cyl. ,repair sheet said the bll. was bent ?? forcing cone too small. and it was out of time................
How can a 2" full lugged bbl be bent , opening up the forcing come would stop the spritzing .but I now have 2 cyl that lock with no play when it's cocked and the other 4 are tighter than they were b/4 ,but still have some minor play.first tar. shot when new , off hand @ 7 yds...
Heading out to see what i have now ...........................................................................................................................................................
Still trying to figure out How you adjust a bent bbl ??? If anyone figures it out Please let me know ~~RR~~

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
RimfireRat, your revolver was not fixed! The chances are more likely for you to run across the Sarah dessert bare foot than bend a 2" barrel. My best guess is they got a beefier cylinder stop, which is a typical fix for example: older S&W revolvers if the cylinder slots or the frame hole for the cylinder stop is worn, you can buy a beefier cylinder stop to fill the gap. This will lessen the play of the badly milled cylinder slots or fill th gap in the frame, however will not resolve timing issues it if the cylinder slots are all machined slightly differently, hence some of your cylinder bores being tighter but some still slightly loose. They indicated that they adjusted your forcing cone which typically means they stretched your forcing cone. Taurus is usually pretty generous with their forcing cones to begin with becuase of their tighter B/C gap tolerances. This is a quick fix to avoid having to replace other parts like the cylinder and do lengthy diagnosis and testing on the firearm to find out what is really wrong. It will not work if your cylinder to barrel alignment changes form cylinder to cylinder and a couple of them are still way out of spec. In addition take a small flash light or bore scope and see if the first 7-9 millimeters of rifling are polished away right behind where the forcing cone enters into the barrel. The rifling should start about 1-2 millimeters(sometimes immediately) after the forcing cone enters the barrel. This will cause extreme blow back in a revolver. It is another way of forcing timing and will render your gun barrel into a hunk of useless steel. They did this to my M650 which had similar timing issues and was sent back to me after fix number one with exactly the same problems you are experiencing now, or what you are refereeing to as "spritzing", accept worse. In my case the M650 was sheering bullets in half in two of the cylinders and causing severe blow back. They had stretched the forcing cone and polished out the first 9millimeters of the barrel destroying it and exacerbating the timing issues for the two bad cylinder bore alignment issues.

If I were you I would have a serious conversation with Robert or Christian the managers of CS. Call later in the day and wait out the hold time. It sounds like they need to replace your revolver. You paid good money for a revolver that should function reliably and safely. They need to make good on there end of the deal. Not send you a hacked and rigged unsafe firearm with a service slip of vague disinformation. This really bothers me becuase regular hard working folks who may not have the knowledge of gun smithing are spending money at the range and time at home trying to figure out what should have been fixed correctly the first time on their dime or get stuck with a paper weight. I would not be so adamant about it but I have gone through this exact thing. I did not allow this and you should not either. Use this reply as a frame of reference when you call them.

Just one mans opinion. Good luck

The gun smith and I looked at the forcing cone on my M327 and it is nicely sized for the cylinder bores. Yours should be the same. Tuarus usually takes this into consideration when they manufacture the forcing cone/barrel it is slightly wider than the cylinder bores to insure against timing issues due to mild cylinder alignment issues and if you are shooting leaded bullets since Taruus B/C gaps tend to be pretty tight.

·
Registered
239 Posts
AdesteAnimo, Sir I agree with you 100% I had it out and it don't shoot as accuratly as before , three cyl, were very accurate three were wild, now they all are more or less in between .I took the end of my cleaning rod down the bore and only 2 cyls will it slide into the cyl on both side the other 4 it it's the face of the cyl on on side or the top . Still have slop in 4 of the cyls on lock up .i've been pretty patient with ;em but here I sit on dies, holster, ammo and I've Had my gun ,what 3-4 days since I bought it . Takes forever to get through on the ph to 'em . i kinda freaked when I saw the repair adjusted a bent bbl ,thats not about to happen on a 2" under lugged bbl and any bent bbl shold be replaced. .when I saw my original cyl i knew it wasn't fixed, I had that feeling. like timing off?? then why did some chambers line up and others not?? I even told them in the letter I enclosed that i thought the cyl notches were not cut to spec. Looks like Im back to ground zero .Would be nice to have a contact to pass all CS waiting . Oh Well i keep ya all posted on what happening ~~RR~~

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here's an attempt with my streamlite stylus and camera to show the cyl alignment AFTER REPAIR . 2 lock up pretty well ,before only one . accuracy as far a 6 shot grps are worse. I saw another guy got one with the same problem I hope they have a good new one to send me. And I bragged it up and a few buddys bought one .hope there's are fine ...............................................................
...You can see the cyl face looking down the bbl. and feel it with a cleaning rod on the sloppy lock up cylrs. I thought thye would replace the cyl. .I'm no gunsmith ,but do alot of my own work, and as they say I have one or two .sure not my first revolver, just my first Taurus revolver ..~~RR~~ ** still didn't figure out how they adjusted bent 2" under lugged bbl./ and I'm starting to see how that judge shot off that bbl.

·
Registered
239 Posts
TWO (2) trips to FL. and i don't think they got it yet. they said a timing problem AGAIN and changed out part for the second time. (they already "adjusted" a bent bbl. and "undersize" forcing cone, which is probably over sized now. the parts were changed trwice now for timing ,got cyl stop almost 2X the original sized one. I did a quick test the other day and both targetsgrpd' 4 shots and the odd one went hi and left . with in an ich of ea other on the two targets
The second cyl full almost matched this one but the grp opened up to a hair over 2" the odd one out went the same place, Waiting for my back to settle and i'm gonna mark ea chamber and try to prove it's one bad one.I also told them on the ph and by letter both time I thought the cylinder was machined badly . i love this little thing ,but i'm gonna be thinking really hard before I buy another Taurus , I got a safe full of revolvers and never had such a problem ~~RR~~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts