Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

I just bought a new M 85, in a beautiful blued finish. Did the usual cleaning to remove the gunk, however, I was unable to remove the larger of the 3 screws. This is the one just above the trigger guard. My intent was to remove the side-plate to clean the internals. The other 2 screws came out easily, but I couldn't remove this third screw without doing some damage to the screw head.

My question is, how necessary is it to clean the insides of this new revolver? I shot approx 150 rounds today. The gun functioned very well, smooth trigger pull, and very accurate for a 2 inch barrel. Any harm in not accessing the insides of the revolver for cleaning?

Thank you.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Generally speaking you shouldn't have to take the side plate off.

I remove mine between every 600-1,000 rounds and even then their isn't much internal fouling, unless I've used some extremely dirty reloads.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've never taken the side plate off my revolvers.

We do have some sage revolver gurus on this forum who should be along to help you with your question.

(Chiccarrones, are you out there tonight?)

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I have never taken the side plate off of my M85 either. I have removed the grips and cleaned everything else though. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I remove the side plate and clean after every range trip. I am assuming you have a set of decent gun smithing screwdrivers? The yoke screw that you're referring to should come right out, unless there is some lock tight on it. You may want to open and close the cylinder a few times prior to unscrewing the screw to make sure it's not gunked up in the yoke assembly. With a good smithing screwdriver securing the revolver in a padded vice or somewhere where it is stable you should be able to put even pressure downwards making sure the screwdriver is nicely seated and give it a nice firm twist left. Make sure you unscrew it with the cylinder closed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried again to remove this screw with no success. The gun functions very well, so there may be no need to get in there to clean.
I'll just leave it as it is, and enjoy my new carry piece.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I pulled mine off(that screw was a bugger) to do my initial cleaning and found the inside pretty clean. I wouldn't worry about it unless the trigger gets gritty. If you do decide you have to get in there, try a little heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts