Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, glad to have found you!

After days of cruising the forums, l landed here amongst you very knowledgeable Taurus fans, so here goes...As a lefty, I'm very turned off by left-side safeties. I won't buy a CZ75b for this reason, (ordered a SP01 tactical instead). For carry purposes, I can, however deal with one IF it has a DAO trigger - which now you know how I found myself here!

Thread after thread led me down this path to the Taurus Millennium Pros. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Taurus stopped manufacturing DAO MilPros! I found my dream compact 45, and they stopped making it.

I called Taurus to confirm this, and the nice gentleman did his best to convince me that it was the same, or better, than the DAO. I said thank you, and goodbye.

In the local gun store, I dry-fired the 3rd gen model. Calling that an SA trigger, for me is a stretch. It felt like a whole-lotta-nothing-takeup-with-no resistance, then "click".

Can't have that in a SmartCarry pointing at my inheritance...

So now, what am I looking at trying to find a PT 145 Millennium Pro, 2nd Gen DAO, with SS Slides? Is there a specific serial number sequence I need to look for? Special concerns?

I'm seeing them for sale on the boards w/o the SS, and they're asking more than the new 3rd gen MilPros. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places...

I thought about the 745, but I like the 24/7 mag and P14 mag option on the PT 145, as well as the tac rail.

Should I jump on a non-SS slide PT145? I considered getting a non-SS version and sending it off to get plated by the Sigforums's favorite refinisher, CCR.

Or is there a happy Taurus customer out there, so enthralled with their new 3rd Gen, that they'd be willing to part with a 2nd Gen DAO? ;) ::)

Anyway, hope you can understand a Lefty's point of view on this matter. Sometimes, when companies (like Taurus) make decisions like this, as a left-handed person, I REALLY feel "left" out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
srqpete:
Some of the earlier generation mil-pros had some issues which were addressed in the 3rd gen firearms. I carry every day, and the gun I carry most times is a pt-140 third gen.. I carry it in a Smart Carry rig, and with the safety on, I have no qualms about the gun pointing at my "inheritance" as you put it.
I have tried the Glock, and the XD compact, and it is the Mellenium that I chose.
I'm not a lefty, but I would imagine that with some practice, it would be fairly easy to click off the safety with the right thumb. In fact, I just did it several times, and it's not an unnatural feel.
Good luck with your choice. BTW the Mellenium is the only one of the three mentioned that actually has a thumb safety....I would not feel comfortable with the Glock or XD in the Smart Carry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.. I want to be careful to qualify my statements on the 3rd Gen single action...

If the 3rd gen MilPro was ambi, I'd probably be cool with it, for carry that is.

But I'm looking for double duty as a home defense, and for that I really want a longish pull with some resistance. I like the idea of the Sig DAK trigger, but in a easily concealed carry package, which is what I understand the 2nd Gen DAO MilPro is. The thumb safety on the 2nd Gen is an added plus for me, but the 3rd Gen safety seems to be a liability (for me). Remember you Right-ies! How'd you like every one of your pistols reversed, having to use your weak hand to work the safety...

Funny thing, I've never pulled the trigger on a 2nd Gen DAO... strictly relying on reviews.

I wanted to go MilPro IWB and Keltec pocket carry (live in FL), but if I can't find the right MilPro first, I'll go with the P3AT purchase first.

Don't know how you guys do classifieds, don't want to rock the boat this early, but I'd be interested in any for sale items...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I can narrow this down and get some opinions:

I've found:
1. NIB 2nd Gen PT745 w/2 mags for $340 delivered
2. Pre-owned 2nd Gen PT145 w/2 mags $275 before shipping/FFL
3. Twice pre-owned 2nd Gen PT145 w/nite sites $385 delivered
None have tac rails or stainless steel slide

How do these prices compare with your experience?
Is the 745's reduced capacity offset by it's being thinner - better for carry?

After reading about Norman Borden's experience with West Palm Beach, I'm inclined to go with the HiCap..

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20070710/NEWS/707100331

You have to wait till the end of the article to see that he was acquitted.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have a hard time recommending a MilPro for you if you're carrying in a Smart Carry. I'm left handed and carry the PT 745.

I carry with the safety OFF, in an IWB holster that covers the trigger guard completely. I am comfortable that the gun won't shoot in that position on its own.

I would engage the safety in a smart carry for my own sense of safety. One reason I don't own one.

BTW the grip of a 745 is a bit thinner than that of the 145

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm also a lefty, and I also have a problem with the Taurus approach. But I have a bigger problem with the Millennium Pro.... more on that in a moment.

As a lefty, I've found that I can extract the PT145 (third generation) from my behind the hip holster and press the safety down with my left thumb as I point the muzzle downrange. Definitely not as quickly as my ambi safety PT1911, but surprisingly fast. Might that work for you?

But I'm not convinced I want to carry the PT145! When I got it, it wouldn't fire every time - light primer hits. Sent it back to Taurus and they replaced the firing pin and springs (and took over a month to do it!), but that improved the problem significantly, but didn't fix things. I still have a light primer hit once out of every 50 rounds or so.

OK, so here's the worrisome part... I was out yesterday with a friend who just got a very slightly used PT140 (second generation), and the same problem exists... light primer hit every once in a while.

Definitely not good in a carry gun!

Anyone seen that problem before?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a lefty and carry a PT111pro 2nd gen daily in a Mika pocket holster (special order with a slot cut out for the safety), with the safety engaged. When I train my draw, my left index finger flips off the safety as I grip the gun. It's become an instinctive move and adds no time to the draw.

I can't say enough about the Mika holster itself. It fits comfortably in all my pants (except tight jeans) and the materials/workmanship are excellent for this type of carry. Not to mention the price....the special order was less expensive than what you'd pay for most quality stock holsters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.