Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just aquired a beautiful stainless Taurus Judge today from a coworker. And i have 2 questions .... as far as i know this gun is ment to shoot 45 long and .410 shotgun ammo, is it posible to safely shoot 45acp with moon clips if so any particular type or they need be Taurus Judge specific. Also I understand theres more than one length .410 shell, what is the corect length size shell for this beast of a gun ? Now I have 2 Tauri in my collection including my PT709 and i still miss my PT845 but the right offer came along. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
No, you can't shoot 45ACP with the Judge.

Measure the length of your cylinder. 3" 410 ammo measures 2 3/4"(+/-) AFTER being crimped. If you shoot that through a 2 1/2" cylinder Judge, the shell will open into the forcing cone and prevent the cylinder from turning.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
No, you can't shoot 45ACP with the Judge.

Measure the length of your cylinder. 3" 410 ammo measures 2 3/4"(+/-) AFTER being crimped. If you shoot that through a 2 3/4" cylinder Judge, the shell will open into the forcing cone and prevent the cylinder from turning.
I think you meant 2 1/2" cylinder...?

And you're correct, 45 acp moon clip will not fit properly, there is not enough clearance.

Measure the length of the cylinder, it will either be 2 1/2" or 3".
You can shoot 2 1/2" and 3" shells out of the 3" cylinder.
But only the 2 1/2" shells from the 2 1/2" cylinder.
Both will shoot the 45colt.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Not enough of a gap for moonclips on the judge.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
I think you meant 2 1/2" cylinder...?

And you're correct, 45 acp moon clip will not fit properly, there is not enough clearance.

Measure the length of the cylinder, it will either be 2 1/2" or 3".
You can shoot 2 1/2" and 3" shells out of the 3" cylinder.
But only the 2 1/2" shells from the 2 1/2" cylinder.
Both will shoot the 45colt.
Right, I wrote the wrong measurement.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It'll work on some judges and others it won't ..depends on the tolerances when weapon was machined, it is not recommended to
use the inserts for .45 ACP in the Judge frame, in the inserts I purchased had a disclaimer " not for taurus judge " so figured the people who made the product obviously knew what they were talking about so I didn't even try it, no need for a catasophic event in my life. There is enough of a variety of .45 colt and .410 defensive ammunition to more than amuse any judge enthusiast ....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what i needed to know. The idea came from a youtube video i saw and the guy was shooting with moon clips like they were going out of style, but i trust forum members way more than some yahoo on the web. Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
The pressure on .45 acp is higher than standard .45 long colt or .410. Even if you can get the moon clip to fit, which is doubtful, it's not recommended.

The raging judge magnum can handle that pressure, but I don't think the moon clips can fit in it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The pressure on .45 acp is higher than standard .45 long colt or .410. Even if you can get the moon clip to fit, which is doubtful, it's not recommended.
Exactly so.

The raging judge magnum can handle that pressure, but I don't think the moon clips can fit in it.
It CAN be done, but it requires a very, very thin moon clip. I made it work by grinding down some Governor moon clips to literally half their thickness. After doing so, I concluded that it really just isn't worth it -- the hassle of the moon clips, combined with the extreme velocity loss, makes shooting .45ACP out of an RJM a novelty and not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Thats what i needed to know. The idea came from a youtube video i saw and the guy was shooting with moon clips like they were going out of style, but i trust forum members way more than some yahoo on the web. Thanks
Are you sure it wasn't the S&W Governor? You can shoot .45ACP with that.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I saw that video. It is a judge. That guy is in this forum. I read his to responses to members trying to warn him he was going to blow up his gun. He was pretty adamant that it wasn't an issue. His new screen name is lefty....:D

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Where can I see this video? Can someone link me to it please? I'm always up for watching a judge video...
Well, this isnt a Judge video, but they DO make this ammo for the Judge, and this video is just a warning to anyone who shoots this ammo in a Judge or any other shotgun-type firearm:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
The Winchester PDX1 45 Colt ammo is my choice for SD ammo ..(staggered load with Federal 000 Buck)

And the Moon clip fits fine in my Poly PD....I will not fire 45acp in it .anyway....just tried it for the fun of it...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts