Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had ordered a tuckable single clip "Brand X" holster a few weeks ago, and in the meantime I was carrying my 745 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB. It wouldn't stay put. With the single clip, the holster kept changing angles and sliding on my belt.

I ended up ordering a two-clip "C-TAC from comp-tac. It cost a lot more than I wanted to spend (about 50% more than the High Nooner), but, I had it within a week, it fits the gun perfectly, it's adjustable for cant and depth, it's tuckable, and it stay's put. My wife has to ask if I'm carrying. It doesn't print at all.

Nothing beats getting the right tool for the right task.

I know there are other manufacturers that make excellent two-clip holsters. I think if anyone is in the hunt for a good IWB, they should look closely at this type.

tman

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I've used a CTAC daily for over two years. Keep an eye on the screws that hold the belt clips on, one of mine likes to loosen up every week or two. The kydex does take a little getting used to but after a week or three stopped bothering me (I started carrying with leather holsters).

The only way to easily spot a CTAC (or most other tuckable holsters) is to look for the clips over the belt. This can be minimized by having the belt the same color as the clips. Now, it the person is using one of the alternate styles of clip this becomes more difficult to impossible (think the velcro clips). Just something to keep in mind if you chose to carry somewhere there will be gun savy types who would frown on you carrying there.

A general comment as far a comfort and wearablity, in the summer of 2005 I helped my father move. That wonderful experience was over 15 hours. Not only did the holster not cause any issues I think it saved me from a nasty bruise on my hip (gun/holster took the hit, not me). Dad didn't think I could carry all day but it wasn't a problem. His girlfriend (at the time) was our only help and she never knew that I was carrying.

Steelheart

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steelheart said:
Keep an eye on the screws that hold the belt clips on, one of mine likes to loosen up every week or two.
I was wondering about that. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but I did loosen the screw (just a bit) that controls how tightly the holster holds the gun. I'm thinking that a bit of the lighter loc-tite might be a good idea.

tman

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
That one has never given me any trouble. But all it would take is a tolerance to be off a little. Once you're used to the holster its easy to spot, just see if that rubber spacer is cylinder shaped (screw is loose) or is compressed a bit (screw is good). That's how I tell.

I will add that I liked that they included an allen wrench the right size with the holster (mine was stuck through a business card & thats where I keep it). Do they still do that?

Steelheart

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They do, and with a hand written "Thanks" on the invoice. Great customer service!

They actually called to make sure that they had the model # right. They technically don't make a holster for the 745, but the inside had "111, 140, 145" etched into it...

Like I said, more than I wanted to spend, but I'm sure I'll forget what I paid for it if it holds up..

tman

·
Registered
7 Posts
If they made the CTAC with loops instead of clips I'd love them. I tried one, and they don't work with the Wilderness belts. In fact, none of the clip style holsters I've tried work with Wilderness belts. The belts are too thick for the clips to fit over them.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Panthera Tigris said:
If they made the CTAC with loops instead of clips I'd love them... The belts are too thick for the clips to fit over them.
Maybe the velcro would work for you.

tman

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The clips will not be reliable with the Wilderness belts. Another forum I'm on has a very knowledgeable individual who had to go to his back-up holster after his drawing his glock with the holster still attached during a class. Hence the reason I recommend a serious leather gunbelt.

I just took another look at the CompTac site. I'd just give them a call to see what they recommend. I'd think anything other than the standard clip COULD work. But I'd lean towards the velcro or the C-clip style.

Steelheart

·
Registered
174 Posts
i broke down and did the same, everyone sais the two clip system is the way to go, i have had real good luck w/ my uncle mikes, but this one is tuckable, which has been an issue in the past. i almost did the tucker we discussed a few weeks ago, but the wait and the money made me a procrastinator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought an Uncle Mike's Inside Pants holster while waiting for my leather holster to arrive. I did not like the vertical drop on it...So I cut off the plastic clip, raised it on the holster, put a 15% cant on the clip and re-sewed the clip...Know the holster rides a little lower and the grips are more under my flab for better concealment. BTW, takes forever to sew the clip on when you use needle/thread and have big hands.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I ordered my last Wilderness belt I had them line it with velcro. (@ $12)
I've used it relentlessly with a CTAC and Vclips with my 1911SC for well over a year and it has worked flawlessly. I recently made my own CTAC for my 24/7 Pro .45 and use it with the Vclips as well. It is a fantastic combination!

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Jaeger, thanks for the info!!!

Steelheart

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been using the clipdraw. It's cheap (I can't afford much and the Uncle Mike's stuff just doesn't cut it), and it's working very well so far.

·
Registered
174 Posts
guys, i ain't super impressed w/ the c-tac, it showed up in the mail and i put it on as is. i wore it to teach an awana class and while it held up to a pretty serious dodgeball game w/ 3rd-6th graders and did an excellent job of keeping my shirt tucked in, i found it quite abrasive. i filed the large burrs from where the rivets were drilled, adjusted the cant and put some cloth over the raw metal components and it spent 10 hours w/ me today, but it is no where near the comfort i get out of a $15 uncle mikes, and other than tuckable not any more secure. i am gonna keep fussin w/ it but i am not overly excited w/ it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sorry it's not comfortable. I wear mine all day on my days off and don't have problems, other than some red marks. No irritation, though. I guess that's why we all end up with drawers full of holsters we don't use.

tman

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I think it took me a couple of weeks to get over the irritation. Many people can't believe that I wear it next to my skin without an undershirt. It just took some practice. Once in a while it still bugs me a little but I deal with it.

One advantage to the kydex is that you have a decent level of retention (not LE level but you know the thing isn't going to just fall out). I don't think I've seen a cheap holster that would compare that didn't use a strap to hold the gun in.

I don't recall any actual burs on mine. Any that were there have long since worn off. You might end up taking some very fine sandpaper and dealing with the burs.

Really, I don't believe that an IWB Kydex holster will be as comfortable as a nice leather model but I don't think the leather one will take as much abuse (especially moisture etc) as the kydex.

Steelheart

·
Registered
174 Posts
maybe i was expecting more, i guess i am pretty content w/ my $12 uncle mikes, i can climb in and out of the crain ans semi truck at work all day and not even remember it is there. i would never attempt to play dodgeball w/ it. nor can i use it as a tuckable. i will admit that the way the c-tac pinches your tucked in shirt and holds it is really nice, i think the comfort can be bettered by grinding some of the kydex off around the top, that is where the real discomfort is, that would let it ride more like the uncle mikes. more padding on the rearward metal hardware will help the abrasion. then i think it is a fair compromise for t-shirt weather. working for a crain rental company, you never know where your gonna be from one day to the next, and some of the parts of town i end up in, i would like to just keep it in my hand as a deterant. i know that if i ever get made at work, that'll probably be the end of it, they willl either start a company policy or post the property. the other problem is sometimes your destination is posted, then i have to get it in my lock box, which is buried in the bottom of my lunch box. but even then a few of the times i have chosen to take the mentallity that i would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six, if the neighborhood is that bad.

·
Registered
174 Posts
update on the c-tac, i made it a convertible, i cut the top 1 1/2 inches off, basically everything above the belt clips, mine is a lefty, so the safety faces out, so no issues there. it is a huge improvement, the top part that gouged into my spare tire is gone, it is a very bearable holster now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had issues with the comfort of my CTAC as well. I solved them by backing the holster and hardware with Dr. Scholls moleskin. It works like a charm! It makes the CTAC very comfortable

·
Registered
5 Posts
My husband just got his for his glock, and loves it. He does have to wear an undershirt with it, but once he did that it was awesome. He also said he had to do some minor adjustments to find the sweet spot, and that does take a little time, but is well worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts