Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Just wanted to leave a quick introduction. Stumbled across this forum while researching my next firearms purchse. I'm looking for a deep concealment handgun and am leaning towards the 617 .357. But, everywhere I go (before this site) no one can give me information on this piece, how the DA trigger is, if its too much of a handful (I'm a big guy, and really not too worried about that), whether there is a better option for an ankle gun (I like blue guns w/ exposed hammers). For the price, I think the 617 is it, and I like the 7-round capacity. So, I would be grateful for any and all input from the experts. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't know anything about that gun...but welcome to the forum :) I'm sure somebody has an answer for you

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome aboard from the Bluegrass State :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a 617 for awhile and sold it to finance a Pt145. All in all it's a great gun. I ended up missing my wheel gun I ended up getting a Model 85 ultra-lite. I went with this one just because of my needs, but I would not hesitate to but another 617.

I'm over in Nampa. Were in Idaho are you?

·
32,576 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If the 617 is too big for ankle carry and it might be, then take a look at the Rossi 6 shooter called either the 641 or 642. These are the only 6 shot snubs with 2 inch barrels since the demise of the Colt Detective Special. Windicater might work, but the Rossis are in .357 magnum. We have a small fan club for the Rossis as well on another board here. Since Taurus owns Rossi there's no problem there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Todd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the welcome and the advice. Tyoung, I'm over in Boise. You get out and shoot/train much? I'm usually out in the Blacks Creek desert a couple times a month if you ever make it out that way. Quick draw, thanks for the advice. The more I research it, the more the 617 seems like its not an ideal ankle gun, mostly due to weight and size issues. I guess I was just enarmored with the 7-round .357 capacity ;D. I will check out the Rossi models you mentioned, as well as some of the lightweight 5-shot models.

Thanks again,

Dan

·
32,576 Posts
Just think. If you use the 617 as an ankle carry gun you'll develop overly large leg and calf muscles on one leg. Get's one a gimp. :) Check out UL models, but stay away from the Ti models IMHO. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all the help!

Picked up a M85UL last week, broke it in on a Galco ankle rig at work last week and took it outa town for a trip this last weekend. What a LIGHT, comfortable setup! A comfortable holster is worth booku $$$ IMO, you'll end up carrying more! I'm very happy with it, and I can't tell you how glad I am I found this site! 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts