Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am new to the forum and fairly new to guns. I have a Model 85 built in '97. I have a few questions about it.

1)The trigger pull is very hard. I am looking to make it a little easier and smoother. I am going to take it to a few gunsmiths around town to get some prices but wanted to see what others have paid to have this done?
2)Also, the grip seems kind of short too me so I was thinking about putting a longer grip on it. Any recommendations or advice?
3)I was looking at a Theis holster but didnt see one for an 85. Any other recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins..

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

We have some wheelgun experts on this forum, and some of them will, no doubt, shed some light on the questions you've posed. Just hang tight.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky! The 85 is a pretty popular model so you will soon have more responses than you can handle!

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Hello from Piqua Ohio. I'm no revolver expert but don't worry someone will be along to help.
You may also want to do a quick search, just make sure to do it from the home page.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Welcome from Fort Wort Texas too!

No ideal why your trigger pull is so hard. We have two revolvers that my wife uses for carry, depending on what she want to match her purse with for that day. She doesn't see to have any issues with the trigger pull with hers. May be time to find a good gunsmith in your neck of the woods.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Hello and Welcome. There is not too much a gun smith can do for that gun. The most effective thing is to purchase the Wolff spring upgrade. Midway has them. I think with the older model you don't have to trim the springs. If your unfamiliar with revolvers you should find a good revolver smith to help you clean the firearm and upgrade the springs. Gunsmiths can manipulate a few other things but Taurus revolvers are simple and rudimentary and sometimes very simple trigger jobs can make them go out of tolerance or screw up what is already a good action. I know this from experience. The heavy trigger pull may also mean it has not been shot allot it may have a low round count which is good. Realy shooting the gun often and getting used to the action is one of the best mods. If the revolver is very tight this is a good sign. You can "shoot it in" the tightness will give a little and the action will smoothen out. Make sure not to use +p loads, standard 38 special only. These are sweet guns train with it often and you will really enjoy it!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
As far as grips go, I wonder if the Taurus small combat grip (part# 4-304) would work for you? It only costs $9, and it makes the revolver much more comfortable to shoot and hold. I had a set on an 851UL that I traded away.

·
32,481 Posts
It might be wise to field strip the revolver and give it a good cleaning.

If the advice advocated so far doesn't help take the gun to a local gunsmith and see if he can help spot anything.

If there is a problem then send the gun back to Taurus for a fix.

If that gun has been used crud or grime of any kind can get into the action anywhere. The cylinder faces back and front, the ejector star, the firing pin channel, and the under or around the ejector rod itself that might have grime collected and needs removing.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have the Hogue for the model 85 and it is sitting in my box of grips and holsters I don't currently use. The problem for me with the mono grip is it does not have a back strap and relocates your hand to far forwards on the frame of the revolver crowding your grip. I got the combat grip with the pinky groove and it is perfect. Taurus engineered it so it balances out the gun nicely. For $9 you can't beat it. I am a sucker for wood grips as well and wouldn't mind that Rosewood if I had a little cash burning a hole in my pocket. For functionality and bang for the buck the combat is your best bet.

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I am also a M85 owner and it sounds like a good cleaning and practice is needed. Small double action guns take getting used to so shoot a few 100 rounds out of it and let us know how its going. There are plenty of holsters out there that work great Don Hume , DeSantis, Galco and many more just got to a gun store and find one that feels good. Welcome and good luck. Here is a link to a few on line supplier's. There is Brownell's and Midway too

Holsters - FREE UPS | Gun Holsters - Blackhawk, Galco, Safariland, DeSantis, Fobus, Bianchi & Other Top Holster Brands

Brownells Search : Search Results for "Holsters" - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

Shop Shooting Supplies | Reloading | Gunsmithing | Hunting gear — MidwayUSA

1 - 15 of 15 Posts