Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought my first handgun it s a taurus pt709 too it took the range today and shot 20 rounds of hp wih no problem then shot about 50 rds of fmj and about every other round would fail to eject any ideas on wat may be causeing this ?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Did you perform the required tear down, clean & lube before you shot it? While I dont have that model, the Taurus revolver I have came with enough cosmoline to protect it till the next century-it appeared to have been dunked in a vat of the stuff. Round up some Q-tips, toothpicks and a can of gun scrubber and go to town on it.
On my auto-pistols, I like CLP or Rem-oil for hammer & trigger group, and use grease on the slide rails. Am sure another 709 owner will chime in soon.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
What brand of ammo were you using as well? I know my 945 hates TulAmmo, i get FTE's with that all the time. The extractor actually snaps right off those steel casings. Anything brass however runs like a champ and is flying hot about 15' back to the right. I would recommend a good cleaning and trying another ammo brand, sometimes that makes a gun labelled as a POS by one owner become a reliable sidearm in the hands of another person.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Did you perform the required tear down, clean & lube before you shot it? While I dont have that model, the Taurus revolver I have came with enough cosmoline to protect it till the next century-it appeared to have been dunked in a vat of the stuff. Round up some Q-tips, toothpicks and a can of gun scrubber and go to town on it.
I'll echo what dchak said...also, sometimes the smaller pistols have a tendency to be ammo sensitive. For example, my PT111 functions 110% with every ammo I've tried...but it chokes up, occasionally, on Winchester white box FMJs.

We're glad to have you as a new member!

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will never meet such a fine group of people other than here. Look forward to your future postings. Everyone here is a friend and eager to help.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
i just bought my first handgun it s a taurus pt709 too it took the range today and shot 20 rounds of hp wih no problem then shot about 50 rds of fmj and about every other round would fail to eject any ideas on wat may be causeing this ?
Welcome From Fort Worth, Texas too Fordmanswife! Good seeing ya here too.

I came over here to find ya some solutions and just noticed ya joined up as well. You'll find some good answers and solutions from the good people of TaurusArmed.

·
Registered
32,030 Posts
Welcome from the dry, windy, dusty, treeless, prairie dog infested flatlands of Lubbock, TX! Lots of good folks here and a couple of grouchy old bears!

·
Super Moderator
36,490 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois and congrats on the new pistol. The above advice has been the answer for a lot of people with new pistols. I may add that with the polymer light weight pistols a firm grip is necessary to allow the slide enough support to cycle properly. When I am guilty of "limp wristing" and causing FTF with my PT 145 it is after I've been shooting for a while during the session and get tired.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Banned
73 Posts
then shot about 50 rds of fmj and about every other round would fail to eject any ideas on wat may be causeing this ?
I would echo the previous advice on cleaning and possible ammo sensitivity. Did you mean failure to eject or extract? If the shell fully extracted but didn't eject (e.g. stovepipe), I'd guess limp wristing, but that wasn't my experience. With my 709 (and several others on this list) the problem was that the shell casing did not fully extract from the chamber, thus jamming against the next round below as it tried to feed. In my case, replacing (and cleaning) the extractor seemed to fix the problem. I don't know if there was a design change or if there is just variation in the dimensions of this molded (MIM) part.

Let me also warn you NOT to put a round in the chamber and then let the slide slam forward because that can damage the extractor. Always feed from the magazine even though you need to top up the magazine to get the full 7+1

·
Registered
36,481 Posts
any number of things can cause this!
Gun: the fmj was less powerful and so more sensitive to the shooter not properly supporting the weapon as it was fired, a different weight projectile, dirty gun, steel or aluminum case VS brass case ammo.
the shooter: bad form, bad support of the firing arm, wrist, giving to recoil , a firm stance and proper hold is needed as you reduce weight in a semi auto, the gun is so light that it needs a firm platfrom to work against.
as you go to lighter/smaller guns this becomes more important.wel
come to the forum as well.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I also should have added taking down your magazines, clean them throughout and work the springs up and down with a dowel or screwdriver to simulate loading and unloading the gun. It's something that i know i do with all my new magazines, but failed to mention in my first post here. Sometimes when the spring is a bit too stiff, it will push the next round forward slightly and wedge it under the rear of the fired round causing both failure to eject or extract.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Welcome from New Mexico.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok sorry been kind of busy with home remolding but the problem im having with my pistol is it is not extrating the casing i did fully tear down and grease before taking it to the range and i had the problem with both umc and with federal fmj but did not have a problem with thefiocchi hp
I would echo the previous advice on cleaning and possible ammo sensitivity. Did you mean failure to eject or extract? If the shell fully extracted but didn't eject (e.g. stovepipe), I'd guess limp wristing, but that wasn't my experience. With my 709 (and several others on this list) the problem was that the shell casing did not fully extract from the chamber, thus jamming against the next round below as it tried to feed. In my case, replacing (and cleaning) the extractor seemed to fix the problem. I don't know if there was a design change or if there is just variation in the dimensions of this molded (MIM) part.

Let me also warn you NOT to put a round in the chamber and then let the slide slam forward because that can damage the extractor. Always feed from the magazine even though you need to top up the magazine to get the full 7+1

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Many auto pistols will be picky about it's ammo, especially when it is new. Like others have said make sure you tear it down and clean it thoughly and try different brands of ammo, once they get "broke in" some seem to be less picky about it's food.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts