Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm good at shooting rifles, but just made the switch to handguns. I'm not ashamed to admit that I need some help on my form. I'm accurate with the pistol (24/7 Pro .45) but know that I could be even more accurate with proper shooting form. I need to learn the basics of form and control. This video is rapid fire, but I use the same stance for slow, controlled shooting.

Here's a camera phone video. Watching the video, I see I'm not leaning into the pistol enough...and my arms should be more straight. After watching this, give me some tips, if you don't mind. Thanks. I love the eat crap grin at the end.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Video isn't working

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Your arms should be extended outward, feet shoulder width apart. It looks like you're right handed, so (saying you are) the Weaver stance has the left arm bent slightly out at the elbow, right arm slightly bent at the elbow. Firearm is held at eye level, do not bend head forward to align sights.

Isosceles stance has both arms straight out with both elbows locked (like the triangle it's named after), firearm is centered to your chest, arms held at eye level.

Modified Weaver is like Weaver above but has left arm locked at the elbow, arm straight.

The Weaver stance is most comfortable to me and is what I practice using. Try them all and see what's most comfortable and gets you on target best. Illustrations on these stances must be around the net somewhere.

I also find my thumbs are aligned closely together, it's hard to see in the clip but it looks like your left-hand thumb is tucked downward. Keeping it up may give you more support and stability while firing. Some people had posted on this forum they wrap the left hand slightly around the trigger guard for stability, I tried this and could not get comfortable with it at all. Post back on what you find while firing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're right Rabid_D, I am right handed and my left thumb points downward when holding the pistol. I didn't realize it until you pointed it out. I've practiced holding the pistol with my thumb pointed straight, beneath the slide, and it definately feels more secure. I'm heading to the range in the next few days and will try what you mentioned. That should get me on track. Anymore tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
Wow your right you just started sloooow waaay down and start with the basics I know its fun to rip them off but all you'll do is ingrain bad habits that will be hard to break. Follow Rabids advice and get ahold of that gun your jerking the triger its a slow pull. Then bring the gun up to eye level and re aquire your sites and level that gun out lock your wrist. you want to absorb the recoil in your arms not your hands. The Weaver will help you with that. let us know how it goes congrats. The grin is normal LOL your hooked :)

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
he also should check his grip.dont look like he has a firm grip on the gun moving up and down more then it should just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yes I agree with 45 Forever, get those good habits going and they'll become second nature. When and if you need the firearm for self defense you want all the good habits to kick in automatically.

There's also targets on these forums that show if you continually hit right, left, etc. of aim what you may be doing to throw off your aim.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You have been given some good advice here.

I don't know if this is your normal practice routine, but slow down man. You are wasting ammo.

And now it is a matter of "public record", so to speak.

Be more deliberate in what you are trying to accomplish during your practice sessions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I should have mentioned that the video was just for fun, that's why I was cracking them off so fast. When I was shooting controlled, the shots were seperated by 2-3 seconds, but I was still using the same form. I'm going to find those targets here on the site and will take them to the range with me on Wednesday. I'm going to really practice my form and site aquisition. You guys are giving me good advice; I appreciate it. I'll have someone take more video this time out so you guys can keep helping me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~A little Bubble Bursting is in order here~Links Below~Off the Range,and into the Real World~

Note: First it will take a 1000 rds of shooting to Tell your Thumb to get with the Program...!!!
Get a good grip on that Gun~Make sure your hand is seated to the Beaver Tail~Get the full Finger Pad on that Trigger, because that's were it will be in a Real Gun Fight~Now Rip-Off-A-Few-Shots, because that's Real World Gun Play~You thought you had a good grip on that GUN... NOT...!!!... Now take a few more shots, and this time casually watch as that Thumb is taking a Free Ride...!!! The most stabilizing force when Pulling the Trigger on a Gun, is when that Thumb is Pinching the Gun to the other side of your Hand...!!! The Thumb is slow to learn... You'll have to tell that Thumb to get with the Program for a lot of shooting before that Thumb learns its New Trick... See all your Thumb is ever used for is clutching, your fingers did the Squeezing, so they know what to do already... You'll notice that the Gun just Squeegees around if that Thumb is not forcefully pinching that Gun to stabilize the Gun, and your Trigger Finger Pull (Think Gun Vice)
Practice maintaining a good accurate Vertical Line, starting Center Mass, and ending with the second or third shot in the Pumpkin...!!! That way with good Horizontal Control the shots will automatically Stitch up to the Bad Guy's Pumpkin in the most accurate shortest amount of time... Two Quick shots to center mass takes the BG off his game, and the Pumpkin shot takes BG out of the Game...!!!...<:)) You will do this all in 1 second in the Real World of a Gun Fight...!!! So practice your Real World Gun Fight Stance...<:))

~Good Read~
A Winning Hand
http://www.pointshooting.com/onehand.pdf
THE REAL COMBAT STANCE
http://www.geocities.com/tominelpaso/combatstan.txt

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
Great video hard to beat one on one with Todd Jarrett

·
Registered
162 Posts
Great advice on grip and stance. As much fun as it is to shoot rapid fire, you need to slow down until you are consistently putting rounds on the target, then speed up a bit. There are a lot of fundamentals to get down before you go rapid-fire: stance, grip, sight picture, grip and, most important, trigger control. One of the best trigger drills I've seen is the wall drill http://pistol-training.com/archives/118.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good stuff! Thanks for the links. I'm reading through some of them now. I'll have to wait until I get home to see a couple of them since work's smartfilter caught them.

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The advice you guys gave came in very handy yesterday! I went to the range with my fiancee (after pulling teeth to get her to go) and we lucked out, big time, because a weapons expert/firearms instructor happened to be there. Since it was only my fiancee, me, and the instructor at the range, we got lots of 1 on 1 time with him. At the end of the day, I'd shot my 24/7 Pro, his Kimber Target II 1911, his custom built AR-15, and his S&W .357 loaded with .38 special +P. My fiancee shot my 24/7 Pro, which she didn't like due to the kick, and his .357 with the .38 special +P ammo, which she loved. Now she's hooked on the range and is anxious to get a .38 special and her CCW license. We'll be taking care of that SOON. In all my excitement of having her out there with me, getting free instruction from an expert, and getting to shoot a variety of weapons, I forgot to get any video of my form. But, I have noticed that I'm shooting low and left, like I've heard many people do with the 24/7 series. If I compensate my aim, I can hit center target. I thought I was using the straight 8 sites properly, but I may need to do some research into that. When I shot the Kimber, I was dead on accurate. I was shooting out the center of the target. Granted, the barrel on the Kimber is 1" longer, it's a tight 1911, everything on the weapon is match, and the sites are competition target sites. Soooo, you can't really compare the two. That's like apples and oranges. The instructor did say he liked my 24/7 Pro. He thought it was a nice choice and spoke highly of Taurus. He even recommend Taurus along with S&W as the revolver of choice for my better half. He said I need to work on my aim with the 24/7 Pro and fire more rounds through it to really get a feel for it...I was kind of getting frustrated that I was aiming low and left. Once I get my aiming down on the 24/7 Pro, I'll be good to go. If I can't do it with the stright 8's, I may have to get some different sites. Heck, I kind of liked the blank sites that were on that Kimber. I seem to get distracted by the dots and focus on them too much. I may do better with blank sites.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome. Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I got a chance to take some shots this weekend and put some of the tips in that Todd Jarrett video into practice. Mainly adjusting my grip, stance and not bending my head down to the gun.

This is a pic of one of my targets from an earlier trip.

This is a pic of my first target after making the changes. It probably would have been all in the 2" ring if I would've slowed down the last 5 or 6 shots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts