Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a GX4 for the collection and it finally arrived today. Still got some sticker residue on the case to clean off but the firearm is in excellent condition and I already converted the 11 rnd mags into 13 rnd. The extra backstrap was an excellent little addition and the larger one fits my larger hands very nicely. The now 13rnd mags are just large enough for my pinky to sit comfortably. Now that it’s all cleaned and oiled I’ll take it for a break-in/reliability session at the range tomorrow. I would love to build on the good impression left by my G3 models. Proof is in the puddin’….so to speak. If all is well then I will cheers to Taurus and be delighted to call this one of my collection and have a place next to my trusty Glocks and Smiths. Sucker looks clean to be sure nice lines, great grip texture, and definitely light enough for a comfortable CCW. I’ll let yall know how my testing turns out.
Light Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Camera accessory Cameras & optics Reflex camera Motor vehicle Luggage and bags

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on your new pistol!
I went back and forth in my mind as to whether or not my reliability concerns were enough to say no. They still might cause me to trade it but I’m willing to put it through its paces and see for myself. The one I based my initial opinions off of was not mine own and bad lemons can be found on every tree. My G3 and G3C are very reliable so this one deserves a shot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had one they are nice guns. For an edc they are a great size, about the size of a hellcat or p365. However the thing I noticed was the finish on mine was a little thin, but you may not care about that if you are going to carry it.

Ultimately I traded it because I was nearly in a self defense situation and was carrying open chamber. Didn’t have to pull the gun, but at that point I made a decision to carry one in the chamber with a safety on. The gx4 doesn’t have a manual safety so I traded it towards my hellcat. However if they’d add a safety to it, I’d consider buying another and maybe putting it in my edc rotation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a GX4 for the collection and it finally arrived today. Still got some sticker residue on the case to clean off but the firearm is in excellent condition and I already converted the 11 rnd mags into 13 rnd. The extra backstrap was an excellent little addition and the larger one fits my larger hands very nicely. The now 13rnd mags are just large enough for my pinky to sit comfortably. Now that it’s all cleaned and oiled I’ll take it for a break-in/reliability session at the range tomorrow. I would love to build on the good impression left by my G3 models. Proof is in the puddin’….so to speak. If all is well then I will cheers to Taurus and be delighted to call this one of my collection and have a place next to my trusty Glocks and Smiths. Sucker looks clean to be sure nice lines, great grip texture, and definitely light enough for a comfortable CCW. I’ll let yall know how my testing turns out. View attachment 490844
View attachment 490845
So for my update “, the GX4 DOES NOT like 124 grain HP or FMJ from 2 different companies but it cycles 115 grain just fine. Had no less than 20 LIGHT PRIMER STRIKES with the 124 but none with 115. This is concerning and irritating. It is a bad sign that I just got the thing and it pretty much refuses to run 124 brass. EVERY . SINGLE . ONE of those light struck rounds fired in my Shield Plus so it is definitely the gun and NOT the ammo.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Got a GX4 for the collection and it finally arrived today. Still got some sticker residue on the case to clean off but the firearm is in excellent condition and I already converted the 11 rnd mags into 13 rnd. The extra backstrap was an excellent little addition and the larger one fits my larger hands very nicely. The now 13rnd mags are just large enough for my pinky to sit comfortably. Now that it’s all cleaned and oiled I’ll take it for a break-in/reliability session at the range tomorrow. I would love to build on the good impression left by my G3 models. Proof is in the puddin’….so to speak. If all is well then I will cheers to Taurus and be delighted to call this one of my collection and have a place next to my trusty Glocks and Smiths. Sucker looks clean to be sure nice lines, great grip texture, and definitely light enough for a comfortable CCW. I’ll let yall know how my testing turns out. View attachment 490844
View attachment 490845
Congratulations on your purchase, if it’s anything like mine, your going to love it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It shoots fine with 115 grain but absolutely does not like 124. Honestly, I am disappointed to be that limited with my ammo choices. It’s fine for what it is but I’ll more than likely trade it. It’s okay for a collection piece I suppose but for a reliable shooter for home or self defense…nah. I’ll trade it towards this M&P 2.0 Performance Center that I’ve had my eye on. I’m disappointed very disappointed considering how well the G3 and G3C performed. 2 13 rnd 124 grain mags and only 6 fired. Every single one of those light struck rounds fired in my Shield Plus. Every. Single. One. It ran the 115 grain fine 26 rnds 26 pewpews I loath being limited to that degree with ammo this is a deal breaker for me. I was so salty about it that I put the thing back in it’s case and simply ran the rest of my range time with the Shield. Zero light strikes regardless of weight or type with my trusty S&W.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It shoots fine with 115 grain but absolutely does not like 124. Honestly, I am disappointed to be that limited with my ammo choices. It’s fine for what it is but I’ll more than likely trade it. It’s okay for a collection piece I suppose but for a reliable shooter for home or self defense…nah. I’ll trade it towards this M&P 2.0 Performance Center that I’ve had my eye on. I’m disappointed very disappointed considering how well the G3 and G3C performed. 2 13 rnd 124 grain mags and only 6 fired. Every single one of those light struck rounds fired in my Shield Plus. Every. Single. One. It ran the 115 grain fine 26 rnds 26 pewpews I loath being limited to that degree with ammo this is a deal breaker for me. I was so salty about it that I put the thing back in it’s case and simply ran the rest of my range time with the Shield. Zero light strikes regardless of weight or type with my trusty S&W.
It kind of sounds like they are hit and miss. I’ve shot 115, 124, and 147, and all have run flawlessly

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
So for my update “, the GX4 DOES NOT like 124 grain HP or FMJ from 2 different companies but it cycles 115 grain just fine. Had no less than 20 LIGHT PRIMER STRIKES with the 124 but none with 115. This is concerning and irritating. It is a bad sign that I just got the thing and it pretty much refuses to run 124 brass. EVERY . SINGLE . ONE of those light struck rounds fired in my Shield Plus so it is definitely the gun and NOT the ammo.
Hmm. I'm not having that problem. I pretty much run only 124 grain, both for defense and training in several different brands. No light primer strikes.

·
Registered
313 Posts
if you really like the gun i would send it back to Taurus.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You wouldn’t think a projectile weighing 9gr more would be an issue, would be interesting to see how it does with 147’s
I did not have any 147 grain on hand during the trial but it is a good mention and worth investigating. Ill Bring some on my next range session and test it out. Furthermore, I will test the firearm once more with 124 grain from Federal. Freedom Munitions and Winchester had identical striker issues with both FMJ and HP so if Federal has a similar issue then I will contact Taurus and send it in. My initial anguish has subsided and given the comments on this thread I am prepared to give this firearm one last chance. If it will refuses to run 124 defensive rounds or range rounds I won’t be able to trust it. I want to trust it but like any mechanical device it has to prove that it can be trusted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 490845
View attachment 490845
Grey Communication Device Finger Wood Comfort

if you really like the gun i would send it back to Taurus.
I do like it and I put my old 19x night sights on it and with the 115 it is spot on for accuracy. I was very disappointed at the range.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nah...Sound like Ops is in love with the Shield and how it goes Pewpews every time....I kid of course.
You’re not wrong I do love my Smith but I am not against Taurus my G3 and G3C run rounds after round no issues. I understand this is not a Smith, Glock, or Sig but the GX4 is made right here in the good old USA so maybe I put more hope in its function than I should have. I will give it one more go maybe it’s a lemon or maybe I’ve got to get that copper bore bush and attach it to the dremel and scrub the shit out of it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
You’re not wrong I do love my Smith but I am not against Taurus my G3 and G3C run rounds after round no issues. I understand this is not a Smith, Glock, or Sig but the GX4 is made right here in the good old USA so maybe I put more hope in its function than I should have. I will give it one more go maybe it’s a lemon or maybe I’ve got to get that copper bore bush and attach it to the dremel and scrub the shit out of it.
All good, If its not working for you than it need to go back. One needs to be sure their piece is in working order for the job at hand.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts