Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
hi from the Northern Rockies....i bought my first Taurus yesterday, a new G2C. was looking for the G3C, but none available and this one was priced right for today's market. did not test trigger pull in the store [they frown on that] and got home and found the trigger has a "catch" in SA mode. did some research and found this is common with the G2C.
am going to the range and put a box of ammo through it Monday to see if that will help. have been dry firing with snap cap and this has helped somewhat. i have already registered it. my understanding is Taurus will pay shipping costs if i send a gun to them within 30 days of registering. has anyone sent their G2C to Taurus to fix this problem, and if so, did they actually fix it? I have no interest in trying to fix it myself.

thanks in advance

Administrator
Welcome from West Texas!

Super Moderator
Welcome from Northern Illinois! It's a great carry gun and there's a ton of info regarding the trigger "catch" in the Millennium section.

Super Moderator

Registered
Welcome to the forum from Northern Oklahoma.

Registered
I have the G2S. Yes it has that weird little "click" on takeup. Czechbiker to you have photos of exactly what you did? Having a hard time visualizing it. Funny thing is that it was getting the 3C that really made it become more obvious to me

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
appreciate the warm welcome. i'll go to the range Monday, and do some dry firing between now and then. will determine if i'm making any progress. by first week in March i'll have made up my mind if the gun should go back to Taurus to be fixed. will try to report on progress in 2-3 weeks. thanks again for the welcome and the previous forum comments re the trigger problem.

Super Moderator
Welcome from West Georgia. Sorta surprised your gun store denied you a trigger pull. There's no danger to the firing pin in center fire guns with dry firing. Most of the time the salesperson will drop the mag and go through the motions of ejecting a chambered round before they hand it to you. I've never been denied an opportunity to point (check the sights) or dry fire a gun before buying.

Reactions: lmichael

Registered
Welcome to taurusarmed.net from an Old Soldier in Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "Taurus庐 Spoken Here!" Hooaaahhhh!!!!!

Registered
Welcome from Florida

Registered
This trigger problem pops its head up every few months. I wrote a message about it a while back, and keep it on file for when it pops up again. Here it is:

I got my first PT-111 G2 in November 2015, and really liked it! Feels good, looks good, a great manual safety, and has really good capacity for a small carry weapon. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it had a distinctive 鈥渃lick鈥 or 鈥渉itch鈥 as I pulled the trigger back in single-action mode before I reached the break. The "click" that I'm talking about isn't so much heard, as that it is felt in your finger. Back then I thought perhaps this was normal for this gun, thinking that the trigger had to move past some linkage in the area where it would engage the striker in the 鈥渄ouble-action/second-strike鈥 mode.

Friends that tried it sometimes thought that it miss-fired when it 鈥渃licked鈥 without firing. I had to tell them to keep pulling. You could even feel the click when the gun was broken down, and you pulled the trigger on the grip alone.

I still liked the gun though. So much so, that I ordered another one in February 2016. I get the new one, and guess what.....No Click! That's when I realized that there's something wrong with my first PT-111 G2.

After chatting with other members on this forum, I suspect that the problem is with the trigger safety-blade. Apparently the spring tension on the safety-blades of some PT-111's are inconsistent with others, causing the blade to resist retraction, and the safety mechanism to rub against something when it does retract, resulting in a "click".

Sliverbullit said: 鈥淚t's the trigger safety. Turn it upside down, and watch as you pull the trigger. Bet you will see the hook on the safety barely catch the edge of the trigger. I filed the edge of the hook, and it is 90 percent better.鈥 You can search for Silverbullit's 鈥淔ix for trigger click or catch鈥 thread on this forum.

Ledbeter36 said: Read my post - 鈥淥bservations on pt111g2 after complete disassembly鈥. I point out some things you can do, and filing is a good fix.鈥

More recently Gordon11 said: 鈥淚t comes from the little hook on back of the safety blade not quite clearing the trigger completely when pressed. I simply Dremeled off about a 1/16" or so from the back of the hook, using a diamond bit. Complete clearance every time and the safety blade still works.鈥

Before I did anything that might void the warranty, I wanted to try something less drastic. So here's what I did. I tied the trigger safety-blade down on the trigger with a small zip-tie, then heated the grip, inside and out, with a hair-dryer, trying to direct the heat to the trigger blade safety and inner workings of the trigger. Then I let it set a couple hours. I did this several times, and then let it sit for a week with the zip-tie still on. When I finally took off the zip-tie, the "click" was gone completely. I thought the click might come back after a few weeks, but it's been a few years now and the trigger still works fine.

In March 2019 I got a new G2C, and I wondered if Taurus had fixed their trigger 鈥渃lick/hitch鈥 problem. Nope, it's still there. I did my zip-tie/hair dryer trick, and now my G2C works great too!

There seems to be an even bigger problem with a small percentage of G2C's (I estimate 5%). Some people complain about the trigger being 鈥渆xtremely鈥 hard to pull. Some have even broken off the trigger safety-blade completely. I wonder if the broken safety-blades that some people are experiencing is caused by blades with even stronger spring tension than mine, preventing the safety mechanism from retracting at all. As the shooter pulls harder on the trigger, the blade breaks off. If that happens, all you can do is send it back to the factory for repair.

Try my zip-tie/hair-dryer trick and see if that helps. If not, you can try one of the other three recommendations. They all seem to involve shaving down the hook on the trigger safety-blade.

BTW, I would NOT use a 鈥淧aint remover鈥 type heating gun. That may cause permanent damage.

Good Luck!

Registered
Welcome to the forum

Registered
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

Registered
Welcome! You'll find great people, good info. and some fun in this cyber community.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts