Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like to introduce myself as an full time RVer who, at 72 just purchased his first hand gun for self defense. A Taurus G2C. Being a 6 year full time RVer, while walking my beagle one night, an individual stopped his vehicle by me and thought he was going to cause me problems. As he approach me I reacted by putting my hand to my rear waist. Now this individual thought I had a gun, got back into his car and drove away. I decided it was time to purchase a gun. After doing some research I found the G2C had excellent reviews and currently was available for around $180.00 after rebate, less state and transfer charges. I spend the winter months in South Florida. Unlike Minnesota where I spend most of the summer months, A requirement in Florida as probably in all states, to purchase a gun you must be a resident of that state. By law you must reside continuously in a state for at least 6 months to be considered a resident and have a legal drivers license. As I no longer can be considered a legal resident of my home state of Minnesota nor of Florida, I found a few states that do not have the six month requirement like So Dakota. I now carry a So Dakota drivers license and my vehicles are registered in So Dakota. Fortunately, my oldest son lives near where I park in Florida (that's why I winter in FL) and after some convincing my daughter that I wouldn't shoot my eye out, my son purchase the Taurus and gifted it to me. Actually, he thought that Taurus G2C and price was so good that he purchased one for his own CC.

A note to all who are wondering, yes, I have had training from beginner to advance CC classes.

·
Administrator
40,380 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :hand26:

Reactions: RVer

·
Registered
24,898 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Welcome.

Your story makes me think a little bit. If it were me, I'd give my son his gun back.

It sounds like your son bought the gun for you because you couldn't legally purchase it yourself. I'm not giving legal advice, but that sounds like a very questionable act. While it may be innocent, it sure sounds like the intent is there. While it may be a stupid law, I believe the law prohibits an individual buying a gun with the intent that it really be for someone else. The ATF form that one signs when purchasing a gun has a question to the effect that this gun isn't being purchased for someone else. It may be a serious crime to answer that question incorrectly. If you really purchased the gun for self defense and a shooting occurs, I would imagine the serial number will be traced and the paperwork will show that sonny purchased the gun for himself. Of course, your son like mine may be very forgetful and it is possible that he accidentally left it in your RV while he was visiting the other day. Again, lying to federal agents may be a crime as well (am I right Martha Stewart).

Sorry, this isn't a lecture, just an observation based on your story that is published for everyone to see on the Internets (including federal agents).

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Welcome from Plano, TX. What RV do you own? Maybe looking at one in a few years.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts

Attachments

·
8,971 Posts
Welcome aboard RV man! IMHO (in my humble opinion), it is ok for your son to gift a G2C to you. Still legal. The G2C is a great entry level self defense pistol. Enjoy and drive carefully.

·
Registered
29,958 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 1 MILLION 971 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the Great Pacific Northwest - "The "Original 444 Marlin®" Country!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Delete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Delete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Delete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Welcome.

Your story makes me think a little bit. If it were me, I'd give my son his gun back.

It sounds like your son bought the gun for you because you couldn't legally purchase it yourself. I'm not giving legal advice, but that sounds like a very questionable act. While it may be innocent, it sure sounds like the intent is there. While it may be a stupid law, I believe the law prohibits an individual buying a gun with the intent that it really be for someone else. The ATF form that one signs when purchasing a gun has a question to the effect that this gun isn't being purchased for someone else. It may be a serious crime to answer that question incorrectly. If you really purchased the gun for self defense and a shooting occurs, I would imagine the serial number will be traced and the paperwork will show that sonny purchased the gun for himself. Of course, your son like mine may be very forgetful and it is possible that he accidentally left it in your RV while he was visiting the other day. Again, lying to federal agents may be a crime as well (am I right Martha Stewart).

Sorry, this isn't a lecture, just an observation based on your story that is published for everyone to see on the Internets (including federal agents).
That was all researched and the laws are different in FL. Serial numbers not even tracked or registered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Welcome from Plano, TX. What RV do you own? Maybe looking at one in a few years.

My RV is a Keystone Montana 35ft. All aluminum frame makes it light weight at 11,064 lbs, dry. I have a rear kitchen which I really like.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Welcome, from the Rust Belt USA....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts