Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my fellow gun enthusiast, just checking in. I have a pretty good stash of firearms now, enough to fill up a gun safe. But as of yet i have never owned a Taurus. I have nothing bad to say about them, just never bought one, no reason why. I was told by my cousin whom i have great respect in these matters to give them a try. He said that Americans tend to turn their nose up at them because they are based in South America. I am not one of those people and if the product is good then nuff said.

I am about to make a decision on a "J frame" sized revolver and have been looking very hard at the model 85. I am certain that i will end up getting one, my real question is it worth shaving off the few oz. for an ultralight aluminum frame or should i just get a steel version. PS i am not interested in the titanium version.

Thanks and hello to all!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Welcome from South Tulsa.
I really cannot offer any valuable info on the model 85.

But someone surely will come along with more hands on knowledge for you! :)

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Welcome from the Palmetto state. Partial to the 605 myself.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Welcome aboard, from Dallas, TX!

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
​I recommend the Taurus® Mdl 85SS2UL. I carry two every day!

Welcome to TaurusArmed.net from Olympia, WA;
in the Great Pacific Northwest!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I personally own the Blued Steel version of the 85. I purchased it online, so I didn't get a chance to compare it weight-wise to the UL versions. Having said that, it's a nice sized revolver with enough punch (.38 cal.) to do what needs to get done. The only change I made was buy a set of Rosewood grips from Thailand on Ebay. I think you'll enjoy the 85!!

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Welcome from Central Texas!
If you're going to be carrying it on a daily basis, the lighter the better. If not then no.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Howdy from Georgia.

They have a plant in Miami too.

Reactions: rpcortina

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, now i think i'm more split than ever lol!

After reading much literature from Grant Cunningham, his opinion was that you should only get a lightweight revolver when you have a similar steel version already.

His reasoning is that you should practice practice and that the old adage of carrying alot and shooting little should not apply as you must practice with the revolver you carry. Thus, a lightweight revolver would wear out quicker than a steel version. Not to mention that practicing with a lightweight model that much would do some damage to your hand.

Just a couple of points to think about, and the reason i asked to begin with.

Thanks to all!
More suggestions welcomed before i take the dive on one or the other.

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia..

·
Registered
30,011 Posts
Welcome from north Texas!

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Howdy howdy from SE Georgia

Sent from my Eludium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. I have a Taurus 850 hammerless .38 special. I believe it is like the 85 with the hammer bobbed. It is a good carry revolver, reasonably light, and does not have the hammer to snag on clothing. The lack of a hammer, however, makes longer range shooting move challenging, since it is double action only.

·
Administrator
41,058 Posts
Welcome from West Texas! :wave:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts