Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.history.com/specials/master-and-apprentice

Came on last night after forged in fire, watching it on demand right now, the short is, 2 master gun smiths and their apprentices make a gun, they can make it out of parts from other guns, but have to make a stock from scratch, at least in the first episode, personally i think the drama between the master and apprentice is a bit much, but it might have some promise. the premier was coach guns

·
Super Moderator
37,223 Posts
I watched half and recorded the rest. The drama is pretty trite.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched half and recorded the rest. The drama is pretty trite.
If they dropped the drama and just concentrated on the show and what they are building, i think i would be a much better show, its like they think top shots drama was a selling point for the show, they should follow forged in fire more, much less to no drama, just doing the work and letting it speak for itself

Reactions: ICUKev and Yissnakk

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
If they dropped the drama and just concentrated on the show and what they are building, i think i would be a much better show, its like they think top shots drama was a selling point for the show, they should follow forged in fire more, much less to no drama, just doing the work and letting it speak for itself
Email them and let them know. I quit watching most of these type of shows because I don't need the drama. I'm guessing in some cases it is the drama people are there for and not the main subject.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
personally i think the drama between the master and apprentice is a bit much,

Well, they do have to follow the script you know.
A little drama can make sharpening a lawn mower blade exciting.
The fact they still call it 'reality tv' makes me chortle, guffaw and giggle.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
10,614 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,223 Posts
I finally finished watching the second half...now I am shopping for S x S coach guns. :rolleyes: (an exploding outhouse would be cool also :D )

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
THe lack of drama is what I really like about Forged in Fire (and American Ninja Warrior and the original lineup of Wheeler Dealers, for that matter) - no contrived "rivalries", no squabbling, just people doing amazing things and congratulating each other when successful or commiserating each other when not. If this show has a bunch of added interpersonal drama, it won't last long for me...

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
https://www.history.com/specials/master-and-apprentice

Came on last night after forged in fire, watching it on demand right now, the short is, 2 master gun smiths and their apprentices make a gun, they can make it out of parts from other guns, but have to make a stock from scratch, at least in the first episode, personally i think the drama between the master and apprentice is a bit much, but it might have some promise. the premier was coach guns
I didn't see the show. Had I seen it advertised in advance, I probably would not have tuned in because "the drama" has become the product in modern TV. It's almost a dead certainty that the bulk of the show won't be about the gun, but rather about the drama.

The same thing happened with a golfing show called "Big Break" in 2003. The premise of the show was that 10 semi pro and highly talented amateurs were given skills tests (specific shot making skills, accuracy tests, ball control, etc). Each day's competition was shown weekly, so the show lasted 10 weeks. Here is a brief rundown of the first shows:

The Big Break I first aired,...... on October 6, 2003. The contest was filmed over ten days at the TreeTops Resort in Gaylord, Michigan. The winner would receive exemptions into four selected events on the Canadian Tour in 2004 (all broadcast by the Golf Channel).

That exemption was basically an opportunity to win your way into the professional golf life because golf is one of the few sports where how well you play determines where you play, and how much you make in winnings.

The first season wasn't bad but then the "personality" aspect was brought into play and became the main focus of some shows The producers paired up people who were polar opposites, either as team mates or room mates and their interaction started to become the focus of segments of the show. This was about the time I tuned them out. Later on, they had a version for women, complete with all the cat fighting that implies. The final nail in the coffin (for me) was when they started pairing up the men and ladies and following their interactions off the course. The show became ½ golfing skills, ½ Dating Game.

The show finally ended because of "budget cuts" in 2015

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
I haven't seen the show but agree about the trend of drama filled shows. Maybe that's what the kids like but not me. Focus on what you're doing.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't seen the show but agree about the trend of drama filled shows. Maybe that's what the kids like but not me. Focus on what you're doing.
i remember top shot, season 1 had some drama, season 2 i stopped watching because the drama had gotten so bad, and in all seasons i really hated the contestant voting people off instead of them going home based on performance. I tuned in for season 3 when it started, it wasn't as bad as 2 so i picked the show up again, and its final season they didn't have any drama in it, and it was how you did in the competition that determined if you left or not. it was also the most enjoyable season of the show, had the entire show been like that, i would have been sad to see it go, but, 3/4 of the run of the show was various levels of drama, with 1 season that was good, never had to question why it went off the air.

forged in fire i like, i have not seen much drama on it, just competition. I will watch this one for a few episodes and hope that the drama in the premier is not the entirety of the show. if it is, it will be hard to watch more then the end where they compete.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Top Shot >> ah, yes. Hosted by Colby Donaldson, of Survivor fame.
Grew up just down the road in little ole Christoval, TX.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts