Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a range on sunday while my wife was doing a continuing ed class for her OT license. And they had a gun store up front, having picked up the henry survival rifle a week or so ago, i decided i wanted a 2nd cheap plinker 22lr for the truck, but a handgun this time, the range had a GSG Firefly (German Sport Guns), a little online research tells me, its a clone of the Sig Mosquito, so much so, the parts are fully interchangeable. they had it for $175, academy was $240, i found it online for around $189, and they gave a range pass with any gun purchase, so that saved me the $30 for the range fee, technically (or what i tell myself) that made the gun $145 so i bought it. I really need to stop going into gun stores........... (quick side note, if anyone is in the nashville tn area, look up royal range, they have a pretty good setup, its all indoor, in a old movie theater, have the longest indoor range in tn, and you can shoot 50 cal if you want, they even rent magazine and belt fed machine guns, and have 2 model years of tommy guns, as well as a m60 for rent, the prices however are steep)

It shoots pretty well, i will have to adjust the sights on it, i just applied Kentucky windage at the range, but will properly sight it in and update this when i do. It has rear adjustable windage via screw on the side, and for elevation you change out the front blade sight with one of 3 included with the gun, all are different heights. and snap in, you do have to remove the slide to change it, and they are held in very, very well so no fear of the front sight coming loose. It is sa/da, has a hammer, has a slide mounted ambidextrous safety, a decocker, and standard slide release and magazine release. And you can get it with a threaded barrel or not, they are the same price. i got the threaded, it comes in black, OD and sand.

It comes in a plastic case, that is not to bad, the clasps on it i can see wearing pretty fast, they are not thick plastic, inside you will find the gun, 1 magazine, owners manual, a sticker, a bag with some tools, including a wrench for the threaded barrel, a key for the built in gun lock, that is on the bottom behind the mag well, a chain style gun lock, a extra spring, 1 22lr snap cap, 2 sizes of front sight, a packet of lucas extreme duty gun oil, and a desiccant bag. The guide rod is also metal.

The gun was not gooped up like other brands tend to do when they are from overseas, in fact it was in shooting condition with no cleaning needed right out of the box. it feels good in the hand, it has a 6lb SA trigger pull, but the trigger is very wide, and feels less, it does have a decent amount of travel in it, but any trigger job you can do to the Sig Mosquito should also work on this gun, so im going to see whats available, the DA pull weight went higher then the 11lbs my scale will read, my guess is 12-14lbs, but it does have a hammer you can cock.

I have however found a few nice things, one company makes a modification for the magazines on these guns that takes the factory 10 round magazine and allows you to load 14 rounds, the cost is $7, they also have a 16 round mod that also uses the factory magazine, but instead of just changing internals it changes the internals and base of the magazine, its cost is $25. the only down side is, you loose the last shot hold open with both mods.

All in all this is a great little gun, it feels good int he hands, is light weight, well balanced, and even though i dont have the sights adjusted for me yet, it shot very tight groups at 15 yards. and fills my truck plinker i dont mind leaving in the truck desire. If it has a down side its this, it like the Sig Mosquito, require high velocity ammo, anything under 1200 will cause issues, but like the henry i got a week ago, it also shoots the federal red box bulk ammo from walmart just fine. I am very pleased with the purchase.

link to company with magazine mod
https://www.taylor-tactical-supply.com/gsg-firefly-s/163.htm

IMG_20180722_142718682_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180722_142728803.jpg
IMG_20180723_072406704_LL.jpg
IMG_20180723_072714315.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,720 Posts
Looks like you scored a really nice gun. CONGRATULATIONS!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 53rdcard

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
congrats on the gun purchase BUT!
the only thing that really jumped out at me was a 30 dollar range fee!-- like double-triple- zomsy --WOW!

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
congrats on the gun purchase BUT!
the only thing that really jumped out at me was a 30 dollar range fee!-- like double-triple- zomsy --WOW!
Yeah, they had super high prices, and, i found out about 2 hours later, it was for 2 hours, not sure if that was just because i got the pass with the purchase and that only was 2 hours, or, if its $30 for 2 hours all the time. the prices at this place were steep when it came to the range, but the gun shop prices were good, as well as ammo prices. and had i only wanted pistol range it was $20, i am sure you can extend the range time but i didnt ask cost, at that point it was only a hour or so till my wife got out of the class and we go home.

By far the highest priced range i have ever been to, most were in the $10-20 range and it was for the full range for the day

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
8,900 Posts
Nice write up and good looking plinker. You already figured out the need for HV ammo, so should have years of fun ahead.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have one on layaway $169.00 with free shipping (layaway also has a sig p229 in it) I hope mine is as trouble free as your seems to be

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have one on layaway $169.00 with free shipping (layaway also has a sig p229 in it) I hope mine is as trouble free as your seems to be
Thats a very good price, hope you have zero issues as well, i think HV ammo is a key on these, beyond that it is just how your eye and the sights line up, for me, they didnt, the factory front sight is the highest one, for me that caused it to shoot low, so i am going to first try the middle one and see how things go.

I found the +4 magazine mod on ebay, the item was sold by the same people who sell it in the link i posted in the first post, but you get free shipping, and the price was the same $7, so i ordered 2 of those and a spare magazine, also off ebay, its where i found the lowest prices for those items. I'll let you know how those +4 things work.

Edit: For anyone who is interested, the lucas gun oil i found it in the bottle, with a needle point at orileys auto parts for $5, figure when i use enough of my bottle up, i'll pour the packet included with the gun into the bottle, i had actually gotten the bottle months ago when i was in there for a car part, and randomly saw it, it was a small enough bottle with that needle point i figured it was a good range bag item, and discovered that the plastic it was made of was pretty thick so it takes some effort to compress it. making it even better for a range bag.

·
Registered
8,446 Posts
Congrats on your new pistol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good buy! I really enjoy shooting mine. I'm using Fiocchi Copper Plated Round Nose 1250fps 40 grain, I got the 1575 round bulk can. Easy to shoot, easy to clean and it sure feels good in the hand.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
My old fishin' buddy brought one of these to the range a couple of weeks ago. It certainly is a neat looking little gun, but we found the trigger-pull absolutely ABOMINABLE ! Long, gritty, and somewhere over 9 pounds on DA. SA wasn't much better. However, we found despite that trigger issue, it digested without any difference, some old CCI MINI-GROUP I have been hoarding for my Hi-Standards, Remington bulk-pack, Federal bulk, Some funky-looking Rem Thunderbolt stuff found in the bottom of the ammo locker from a decade ago and a half-box of old Fiocchi. 36 or 40 gr indiscriminately, shot well.

A neat gun, a great shooter, dead on for us at 15-20 yds, looks good, handles well, and isn't too difficult to take down, even in the rain.

Glad your trigger is better, his needs some (make that A LOT OF) work.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tested the +4 magazine follower replacement, seems to work fine, only 2 negatives about it are, no last round hold open, and, you loose the pin on the side of the magazine you can use to move the follower down for easier loading. But you gain 4 extra rounds using a stock magazine and it only costs $7, i also added a rubberized stick on grip to it, it helped a lot, much more comfortable in the hand now. it was $10, i think those 2 extras make the gun even better and dont cost a lot. to anyone looking to get one.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I have tested the +4 magazine follower replacement, seems to work fine, only 2 negatives about it are, no last round hold open, and, you loose the pin on the side of the magazine you can use to move the follower down for easier loading. But you gain 4 extra rounds using a stock magazine and it only costs $7, i also added a rubberized stick on grip to it, it helped a lot, much more comfortable in the hand now. it was $10, i think those 2 extras make the gun even better and dont cost a lot. to anyone looking to get one.
I will most likely stay with the 10 round mags as it works better in loading boxes of 22 ammo 5 mags take a box of 50

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Congrats on your new plinker.I will dis-agree with you on one major point ! Always when getting a new to you firearm CLEAN IT GOOD ! Obstructions,Grease,etc can ruin your first day at the range ! Happy Shooting !

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats on your new plinker.I will dis-agree with you on one major point ! Always when getting a new to you firearm CLEAN IT GOOD ! Obstructions,Grease,etc can ruin your first day at the range ! Happy Shooting !
Oh i 100% agree with you, clean a new gun, but i looked at this one closely including breaking it down, used a barrel light, and a pen light to look into all the nooks and crannies, and it looked very clean, maybe the place i bought it from cleans all new guns prior to sell, not sure, this one looked clean enough, that it was as clean as it would have been had i cleaned it after a range trip, not a factory oiled to oblivion to make sure it doesn't rust, so i felt i would just go ahead and fire off a couple of hours worth of ammo through it, it worked without any issues. had it been gunked up i would have cleaned it before first use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts