Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,374 Posts
Nice, I have not replaced my grill since Hurricane Irma. I miss grilling food. My family does not want me to buy one, it seems like every time I do buy one we have a storm and it gets destroyed.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Very Nice!!

Little Jon bought one of the big ole honking pellet smoker grills last year. Every time he smokes something new he does a lot of Google and YouTube time studying the new latest and greatest ways to perfect the most tender juicy meat with out over smoking it.

He starts the smoker fire, then monitors everything and makes heat change setting from his phone from the comfort of his recliner as he saves the world from certain doom on various video games. Sometimes he is even trying to make the Dallas Cowboys a Super Bowl Contender team via Madden Football...but even video games do have limitations so it would seem.

After the smoker texts him that the meat choice of the day has reached proper temp he will get up to go wrap the meat for finishing it off to completion. I guess he couldn't find a smoker with an automatic foil wrap function. After wrapping the meat gets properly stored in an ice chest.

This last weekend I gave him a pork butt bone in to try. Really surprised me that he hadn't smoked one in the past, I mean pork butt is kind of like the learners permit of smoking meats. He asked me how to best smoke it, and then started hours of research only to tell me I was correct...LOL. He also said that he has never seen his two kids eat so much meat at a single seating and then ask for it every meal until it was all gone.

A few year back the masses here on the forum talked me into trying a Weber Kettle Grill for grilling and smoking. I now have 2 Weber Grills sitting on my back deck. One has never seen use...YET!! The other has been used so much that I have had to replace the grill grate, fire grate, and lower damper slide. It smokes, it grills, it eats charcoal, it eats wood, and it produces great results. They also set between a cast grill/smoker from Smokey Joe and two taller chamber smokers one gas and the other charcoal.

But I can guarantee you that if I weren't so darn old and love my Weber's so much I would give one of the pellet smokers a try.

I truly hope that you learn to love your new smoker as much as I do my Weber Kettles.

Now, lets fire them up and get some smoke blowing in the wind!!

·
Super Moderator
35,500 Posts
Nice looking rig! I can almost smell the brisket.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Dry rubbed and on at 225 degrees 3 hours. Then bated and wrapped in foil for 2 more hours

This is after foil. Just before last hour of cooking.

Wife doesn’t eat bone in meat.... but it smelled so delicious she couldn’t help but try them. And liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Use it a lot! Perfection comes with repetition. Find out where the hotspots are (if any) and the little idiosyncrasies of your particular grill and you'll be the grill master in no time. One thing I would mention.. when you place the meat on the grill, place it at a bit of an angle. Then when you turn it (only once!) turn it at an opposing angle. That way when it comes off the grill the marks (we call them the 'money marks') will be at obtuse angles instead of at 90 degrees. Makes for a nicer presentation and turns your $18.95 steak into a $29.95 steak!! Enjoy!

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
For some reason I half expected the before photo to look as the one posted, and the after photo to be a big ole pile of well picked over bones...LOL!!!

Well done!!! Enjoy it and use it often!!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Had a Bradley Smoker. Was excellent.

Top Tip for BBQ's if you're just doing burgers on the BBQ the best 'secret weapon' is your microwave. Six burgers on your average size dinner plate, in the microwave for 70 seconds and the insides are cooked perfectly. Then a minute each side on the BBQ and you have properly cooked, juicy burgers.. not a MDF, hard-as-nails type burger.

We have BBQ's in the vicarage garden for, usually, over 100 people. You have to be organised or you'll be in deep do-do very fast. This method solved the problem. PS: you can do the same with sausages and chicken, but you must 'size' your chicken pieces because of the bone within the leg.. usually takes more time (of course)..

Have fun.

Reactions: brojohn

·
17,565 Posts
Had a Bradley Smoker. Was excellent.

Top Tip for BBQ's if you're just doing burgers on the BBQ the best 'secret weapon' is your microwave. Six burgers on your average size dinner plate, in the microwave for 70 seconds and the insides are cooked perfectly. Then a minute each side on the BBQ and you have properly cooked, juicy burgers.. not a MDF, hard-as-nails type burger.

We have BBQ's in the vicarage garden for, usually, over 100 people. You have to be organised or you'll be in deep do-do very fast. This method solved the problem. PS: you can do the same with sausages and chicken, but you must 'size' your chicken pieces because of the bone within the leg.. usually takes more time (of course)..

Have fun.
Point of order. I think if you check with your friends in Mississippi they'll tell you that the words "hamburgers" and "BBQ" do not belong in the same sentence. If the cooking time is measured in hours and there's wood smoke involved, it's "BBQ". If it's measured in minutes, it's "grilling". But this is a southern U.S. definition. In the North East U.S. they also think hamburgers and hot dogs are "BBQ".

·
Registered
27,087 Posts
I've been using a pellet grill for about 6 years or so. I'd never go back... unless the zombie apocalypse happens and there's no power to run the pellet grill. There are some great recipes out there.
I particularly love smoking fish on it. The big advantage of the pellet grill is reproducability. Because of the precision of the control, once you get a recipe right, you can do it time after time. And if you are entertaining, you can spend the majority of your time with your family and friends instead of nursemaiding the grill. (of course, depending on your family and friends that might not be an advantage... but you don't have to tell them!)

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
A couple of rules:

1) Don't over heat or over cook
2) No such thing as fire it up, put the meat on and forget it. Takes a lot of TLC to smoke and/or grill meat correctly

Reactions: jturner3

·
Registered
985 Posts
Point of order. I think if you check with your friends in Mississippi they'll tell you that the words "hamburgers" and "BBQ" do not belong in the same sentence. If the cooking time is measured in hours and there's wood smoke involved, it's "BBQ". If it's measured in minutes, it's "grilling". But this is a southern U.S. definition. In the North East U.S. they also think hamburgers and hot dogs are "BBQ".
Well, over here, any food that has 'had a face' get's BBQ'd. It's the generic go-to phrase for 'food cooked outside of the kitchen, but not in a camping environment'. That said, I do a pretty acceptable Beer Can Chicken, in the true meaning of the phrase, on my BBQ. And that's a 90 minute job.. Also done it with pheasant too.. that's wonderful. And I marinade ribs in Coca-Cola for the molasses..

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
What a timely thread! I smoked some pork ribs to perfection (my wife said that, so it's true), and while reading the comments here remembered that I have some leftovers in the fridge. I swear, like so many other foods, it seems that leaving them in the fridge for 24+ hours makes 'em taste even better.

Now, 'scuse me while I go wash my greasy fingers.

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Smoked a 2.5 lb turkey breast a couple days ago. I’m gettin the hang of this thing. Melt in your mouth turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I want a pellet grill but haven't invested yet. I am getting a new smoker for work next week that has me excited. I'll post pics when it shows up.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have gas grill and charcoal grill with a wood box. All depends on what I'm cooking.
Grill, BBQ and smoking are not the same thing. I can add some smoke while I grill or BBQ.
Grill = direct high heat. Fast cooking. Half hour or less
BBQ = direct low/medium heat to slow cook with or without sauce. Half hour or more
Smoke =. Indirect heat using smoke to slow cook. Four hours plus
I have seen pellet smokers. Very nice. Set it and forget it.
My childhood friend has a tree and land service . He has firewood for sale year round. Oak, Hickory, pecan, cherry...
He also has chipped pecan and cheery. I have an unlimited supply.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Grilling is having the food directly over the heat source. the only smoke you should get is from the charring of the surface of the food and from the drippings that fall onto the heat source. Temps will generally start around 350 and go up as high as 700.
Most smoking is done in the 225-250 degree range, If you're doing poultry, that's generally ramped up to 375. Cold smoking needs to be done via an offset smoker as you smoke in the 100-125 degree range. The key to good smoking is the type and density of the smoke. If the smoke you're producing looks more like an engine fire, then you're burning up your smoke source way too fast. You just barely want to be able to see the smoke. Pitmasters call it a blue smoke as through centuries of trial and error, they found the best tasting, most profused foods only need that light smoke. You also only get effective smoking for the first hour or two then it becomes a slow roast.

You can smoke on a grill but you really can't grill on a smoker. Once you figure out the means of putting fire to meat, your journey has only just begun. Start buying spices in bulk now. your starters will be salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar and paprika. If you're really ready to go all in, invest in a large chest freezer as well.
As an aside, meat, poultry and fish are not the only things you can smoke. Have fun with that.

·
Registered
31,687 Posts
"I wish I had Jessie's Grill." Son has a Traeger and likes it. I have a ceramic smoker I like for slow cooking, and a gas grill for fast stuff. I have a tri-tip roast on the ceramic smoker now.

Reactions: Ickthus
1 - 20 of 23 Posts