Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just recently purchased a FN Herstal FNP 9mm. I am looking to get my Concealed Carry License and I was wanting to know what to expect. What is the course like is there a written test as well as a shooting test. I decided to join a forum to learn more about fire arms as well as what would be on test.

Thanks!

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Welcome from North Texas! As to what is on the Kansas test, I have no clue, but I am sure someone from Kansas will be along shortly who does!

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Welcome from southwest Ohio! Don't know the particulars about Kansas, but for the most part a CC permit is going to require a specified amount of classroom instruction, a written test, and range qualification. In ohio the training is the same as the NRA basic pistol course with some legal info thrown in. The test is an open book affair. The actual shooting portion is all done at self defense ranges (3-7 yards), so unless you're really wild with your shooting it's very easy to pass. Again, that's for Ohio, but I doubt whether Kansas is much different. According to the info I checked, Kansas and Missouri have a reciprocity agreement, so you should be good to go if you decide to cross the bridge to KC, MO - and carrying concealed there seems to me to be a goooood idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from southwest Ohio! Don't know the particulars about Kansas, but for the most part a CC permit is going to require a specified amount of classroom instruction, a written test, and range qualification. In ohio the training is the same as the NRA basic pistol course with some legal info thrown in. The test is an open book affair. The actual shooting portion is all done at self defense ranges (3-7 yards), so unless you're really wild with your shooting it's very easy to pass. Again, that's for Ohio, but I doubt whether Kansas is much different. According to the info I checked, Kansas and Missouri have a reciprocity agreement, so you should be good to go if you decide to cross the bridge to KC, MO - and carrying concealed there seems to me to be a goooood idea.

That is fantastic and that will be very helpful! I live within 30mins of Missouri so that is good news. I also a agree that as far as safety goes that is a great thing to know as well. Thank you! I am very excited to get to work getting my License. Someone had told me there is some kind of psychological test to go along with it but I am not sure if they know what they are talking about. I am sure I would pass but you never know the way some of those test are worded for jobs and stuff. "Do you use sugar or PCP?" lol

·
Super Moderator
36,843 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! We are one of the safest places on earth because we don't have concealed carry ( stick around, I'll tell you another one! ).

I did take the Utah course and got my permit from them for when I travel to places which believe in and honor our Constitution. It was pretty much an all day class with fingerprint cards done by off duty LEO and a quick range examination to basically demonstrate familiarity with ones' firearm. Didn't matter if I struck the target (which I did) as long as the round went downrange.

If you are new to handguns or it's been awhile since you've fired one a handgun safety course could be a good idea also. Have fun and don't forget to take a photo and show off your new pistol...please. We are gun voyeurs here.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Welcome from Nw Ohio.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello I just recently purchased a FN Herstal FNP 9mm. I am looking to get my Concealed Carry License and I was wanting to know what to expect. What is the course like is there a written test as well as a shooting test. I decided to join a forum to learn more about fire arms as well as what would be on test.

Thanks!
I live in KCMO as well. The course I took was an 8 hour class. Nothing written. Mainly the instructor showing videos and discussing general gun safety and CC practices and laws regarding MO/KS. Then at the end was a shooting test. 20 rounds with a revolver and 20 with a semi auto, both in .22 cal. Have to hit a paper plate at 7 yards. Piece of cake.

·
Administrator
40,114 Posts
Welcome from West Texas!:wave:

Visit the Concealed Carry section of the forum. You'll likely get answers quicker there!:thumb:

It's always nice to see another lady sign on here. We do have a few!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Welcome form the Southern Tier of NY!

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Hello from central North Carolina and welcome to TaurusArmed.net. You are going to find some friendly
and knowledgeable people here. I can't help you with the Kansas test, but most concealed carry tests
require firing from five, seven and ten yards on the range. We shot at a silhouette target and it was not
hard at all. I used wadcutter ammunition. (it punches nice, round holes and it is mild, allowing better
gun control) Good luck!

·
5,686 Posts
Hello and welcome from Central IL. It's nice to see another woman posting. Good luck on your CC permit and keep us posted!

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Jacksonville, FL!

·
Super Moderator
40,588 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
:wave:Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!