Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may remember my other post about my new G3C failing to return to full battery.
When I got my g3c I also bought one box of ammo. I don't remember the brand. One I've never seen before, foreign. 115 gr fmj. My Taurus worked perfect with that ammo. Not a single fail.
Next trip to the range. Ammo being what it is. You have to take what you get. A 50 round box of Winchester hollow point and a 100 rounds of Armscor 115 gr. Fmj.
Several fail to return to full battery.
Next trip. More Armscor 115 gr fmj and Winchester hollow point. About every mag one fail to return to battery.
Today, one mag of Armscor 115 gr. Fmj. Several mags each of Remington and Federal 115 gr. Fmj.. and 147 gr. Fmj.
The one mag of Armscor, one fail to return to full battery. Several mags of Remington and Federal 115 gr. Fmj and 147 gr. not a single fail of any kind.
Seems my Taurus G3c is ammo sensitive.
Hopefully, Hopefully. Over time as my G3c breaks in it will not be so ammo sentive. Because. The way things are. You can only get what you can get.

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Maybe polish the chamber a bit? The old deal with steel case ammo IIRC was that they had a lacquer coating to prevent corrosion in inventory, as if any ammo stays in inventory these days. When they get heated, the coating would wear/wipe off and gunk up the pathways.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Maybe polish the chamber a bit? The old deal with steel case ammo IIRC was that they had a lacquer coating to prevent corrosion in inventory, as if any ammo stays in inventory these days. When they get heated, the coating would wear/wipe off and gunk up the pathways.
Yup, this can happen. About twelve or thirteen years ago, I had an old Mosin Nagant that this happened to. That original steel cased ammo I was using was lacquer coated, and that had cooked off in the chamber so bad at one point, I had to tear the whole gun apart, and soak it in lacquer thinner to get it out.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I read that they stopped using that gooey lacquer on steel cases a long time ago & now use some kind of poly coating that leaves no residue at all.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mute point anyway. I've not used any steel cases.
Is there generally a single reason a gun is ammo sensitive? Or usually more to it. Just asking.

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Mute point anyway. I've not used any steel cases.
Is there generally a single reason a gun is ammo sensitive? Or usually more to it. Just asking.
It's a complex machine that relies on geometry of angle, spring tensions, machining quality and accuracy and this applies to the pistol and the magazines. As said, polishing the contact points of chamber, feed ramp, magazine lips are places to start. Polish and don't remove metal.

Reactions: PTDOUDE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts