Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New g3c 10 inches low and left with 115 grain ammo are 25 yards.
Same gun shoots point of aim with 147 grain ammo.
Would a replacement barrel work to be able to fire 115 grain ammo?

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
What 115gr ammo have you tried?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Winchester white box and two different plated bullet reloads.
Another issue I have ran into is the col.of the Hornady 147 grain fmj bullets I bought.
1.165 col is too long. I loaded minimum power charge, had to seat at 1.150 ( plunk test) no signs of pressure but it seems odd that they are so long. Other Hornady 147 grain xtp col is 1.100.
New to loading 9mm and for semi auto, been loading for revolvers and bolt guns for 30+ years.
Just wondering if a different barrel would make a difference.
Plan to use the gun for EDC.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My G3C is not dead on but within 3 to 4 inches center target at 15 yards . Check your ammo, Check your barrel,maybe just maybe more range time also . Good Luck

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
25 yds is a long shot for most pistol shooters. At that distance even the slightest flinch can move POI a foot.
Agree. That's a hekuva long distance for off hand pistol shooting. I shoot at 10 yards & that's pushing the envelope for me.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
As others have said, that's a reach for a short-barrelled gun.

However, it has been shown that the G-series of Taurus pistols are more accurate out of the box with heavier, slower rounds. That should not come as a surprise. No gun is going to shoot to precisely the same point of aim with every type of bullet and propellant load at all ranges...the ballistics of the rounds are different.

And a short barrel really deserves a round with a load that's optimum for short barrels...which fast 115 gr loads never are, but slower, heavier bullets frequently are.

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
A few things to consider--
1) is the hits in groups regardless of where they hit ?
2) have you let anyone else shoot the weapon for results?
what does the weapon do at say 5 yards?
Typically a lighter projectile is going to print lower than a heavy projectile due to time in the barrel VS recoil, additionally the length of a projectile is really dependent on several factors--what is the projectile made of??-lead, composite, copper, is it a hollow point, a flat point, a RN as well.
as for me IF I can keep all rounds in the 9 & 10 ring at 25 yards I consider I have done a good job and so has the pistol ,I practice my self defense and pistol shooting mostly at 7-10-15 yards to be honest but do fire a few at 25 just to make myself feel better IF I get attacked crossing a parking lot.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
A few things to consider--
1) is the hits in groups regardless of where they hit ?
2) have you let anyone else shoot the weapon for results?
what does the weapon do at say 5 yards?
Typically a lighter projectile is going to print lower than a heavy projectile due to time in the barrel VS recoil, additionally the length of a projectile is really dependent on several factors--what is the projectile made of??-lead, composite, copper, is it a hollow point, a flat point, a RN as well.
as for me IF I can keep all rounds in the 9 & 10 ring at 25 yards I consider I have done a good job and so has the pistol ,I practice my self defense and pistol shooting mostly at 7-10-15 yards to be honest but do fire a few at 25 just to make myself feel better IF I get attacked crossing a parking lot.
That #1 is a point I wish I'd made earlier.

Yeah, if the gun is grouping consistently, then it's doing its job with that ammo.

If that's the ammo you carry, then adjust the sights. If not, then adjust your aim with that ammo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My G2 and 709 both favor 147 gr pills. No difference at 10 yards but start to notice at 20 and definite keyhole at 50. With table to rest on, no vice and 147 gr pills, can still get full mag on a sillouette. With 115s, about 5/12.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts