Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ingot my new G3 yesterday after a5 week wait (NICS screw up). I'm jazzed! Perfect size, prefect fit. I haven't had time to do anything but fondle it and I'll disassemble and clean it later today, but is appears to be very clean as is (no obvious shipping gunk). One "problem", it came with two 15 round magazines, no 17 round. Not such a big deal as I have ordered 2, 17 round mags last night and 15 rounds are plenty and I don't have pinkie fingers hanging over. I got my eye on some fiber optic sights and SS recoil spring and guide rod, and perhaps, if I feel the need after about 1,000 rounds getting used to it, a Keep Tinkering short stroke trigger. Any other "necessary customization"?

I especially like the size, not quite "full size", smaller than my Masada. Not "compact", larger than my Ruger LC9s. I have an FMK that's the same size.

My one complaint; the "Glock style" take down slide release. My FMK uses the same system and I have had trouble actuating the release bar. Been trying for 10+ years. I've watched a dozen "how to" videos but I guess my old fingers jes don't do the job. With clean fingers and dry hands and gun, I can get the slide off after a half dozen tries...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS! I cleaned the new gun toughly and one of the mags (I saw a rough spot on the follower so I used some fine emery cloth to smooth it out). I filled the mag with some factory 115 gr FMJ and pushed them out of the mag by hand, OK. Then I loaded the mag and ran some through the gun (I was safe, muzzle pointed in a safe direction, alone in my shop, kept finger waaay off trigger). I carefully sling shot all rounds, worked great. Tried the same test with some Winchester 147 gr Ranger ammo. Filled mag OK, pushed rounds out by hand, no hang ups. But when I fed the Winchester rounds in the gun, again sling shot, the first round jammed the slide shut. Tried to clear the jam, but I had to remove the slide (carefully) and found the round stuck in the chamber. With some careful prying I was able to get the round out and remove the barrel from the slide. I then plunk tested the Winchester ammo in the barrel. Too long for the G3 chamber! I then checked some of my other factory JHPs and all chambered, plunked OK. Also tried some handloads. A couple failed the plunk test, my 124 gr JHP which also were too long for my Masada. So, I'll try the Winchesters in my FMK and Ruger and if too long reserve them for my 905. I have started reworking my handloads to fit my Masada and they fit all my other 9mm pistols so far and I'll just add the plunk test in my G3 barrel for all future handloads...

Reactions: PTDOUDE
1 - 3 of 3 Posts