Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! First post here! I just picked up a g2c 9mm about 2 weeks ago. I got it at my local gun store because they actually price matched rural Kings 179.99! With the Taurus rebate, I couldn't pass it up! It's also my first handgun! I've already put about 300 rounds through it and couldn't be happier with it! Absolutely love everything about it so far! Granted, I have nothing to compare it to, but I still love it!
At this point, I really only have one question. I've searched and read on here but can't really find an exact answer. Since I'm just the kind of guy that modifies everything I own, I'm very interested in the lakeline parts. My question is, what exactly is the steel guiderod suppose to do? I have no problem spending the little money on it simply to have a stainless part, but I'd like to know if it's suppose to actually change the way the gun functions at all. Or is simply just to reply the polymer part with a stainless part?
I appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks so much!

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
Hey guys! First post here! I just picked up a g2c 9mm about 2 weeks ago. I got it at my local gun store because they actually price matched rural Kings 179.99! With the Taurus rebate, I couldn't pass it up! It's also my first handgun! I've already put about 300 rounds through it and couldn't be happier with it! Absolutely love everything about it so far! Granted, I have nothing to compare it to, but I still love it!
At this point, I really only have one question. I've searched and read on here but can't really find an exact answer. Since I'm just the kind of guy that modifies everything I own, I'm very interested in the lakeline parts. My question is, what exactly is the steel guiderod suppose to do? I have no problem spending the little money on it simply to have a stainless part, but I'd like to know if it's suppose to actually change the way the gun functions at all. Or is simply just to reply the polymer part with a stainless part?
Just to replace the poly guide rod is all, have not really heard about the factory rods failing a lot.....................
I have the Lakeline rod and springs in my early PT111G2 and it is now over 5000 rounds through it and running very well.
Shoot your pistol for now and latter just for grins get a Lakeline rod, they have a lot of great parts for the 111G2!:)

·
Registered
29,960 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 1 MILLION 971 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
9,094 Posts
Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I own two older G2's, and one new G2C. They are essentially the same gun except that the G2C does not have the Taurus Safety Keylock. That, and the imprint along the slide rail are different. The G2 says PT-111 G2 on the rail, and the G2C doesn't mention PT-111 at all except on the bottom, in front of the rail, next to the serial number. One weak point of this gun is poor quality control on the part of Taurus. This is a good gun, but a very small percentage of lemons seem to get through the system and are sold to the public. I estimate 5 percent based on the complaints on this forum.
The recoil spring is a weak point on the gun itself. I had one fail on me, and at first it wasn't obvious that it was broken. Check out the photo I attached. On the left is a normal recoil spring; on the right the sleeve that holds the outer spring has broken, and the outer spring has extended full length. This spring will not work properly because the slide won't seat all the way forward. I called Taurus, and they were very quick to send me a new recoil spring in the mail in less than a week.
Another peculiarity of the G2/G2C is a “click” in the trigger. You may have noticed it as you pull the trigger back, but before it releases. I think this is caused by the Trigger-blade safety not getting completely out of the way, and rubbing against something as you pull the trigger back. This click is more pronounced in some guns than others. My first G2 had a very distinctive click, but my second G2 had no click at all. I was hoping that Taurus would have fixed this problem, but my new G2C has the click too. I fixed the clicking problem by tying back the trigger-blade safety with a zip-tie, and then heating the trigger with a hair dryer. I let it set for a week with the zip-tie on it, and then I removed the zip-tie. Now the triggers on both of these guns work beautifully.
I did get a Lakeline stainless steel recoil spring, and I put it on whichever of these guns that I carry. At the range I use the Taurus springs, but I want a little more reliability on the gun that I carry.
In my opinion this is a very good gun,especially for the price. If it had a decocker it would be perfect!
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much! I do love his gun so much! Again, I don't have anything to compare it to, but who cares!
I assumed the guide rod was just to replace a plastic part, but just wanted to make sure! Awesome! If I keep up shooting it as much as I have the past 2 weekends, I'll replace that guide rod sooner than later!
Honestly, the only issue I had with the gun was 2 failure to fires, but those were both with Winchester forged. After I got rid of those, I haven't had the tiniest problem at all!
As to the clicking in the trigger, because I haven't fired any other handguns before, I just assume every sound it makes it totally normal, so I can't tell you for sure if it actually clicks on the spot or not!
I'm going to continue shooting the crap out of this little guy and getting better as a shooter!
Thanks again fellas!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Honestly, the only issue I had with the gun was 2 failure to fires, but those were both with Winchester forged. After I got rid of those, I haven't had the tiniest problem at all!
I am a sporting goods associate at a Walmart. If you ask for any steel ammo, I make sure that you are aware that ti is steel cased. If you are, I'm happy to sell you all you want to buy. If you aren't aware or haven't run it through your gun before, I'll suggest purchasing different ammo--unless you want to try a box to see if your gun likes it.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Welcome to the forum OP! Happy to hear your new pistol is running good for you. I tend to stay away from steel-cased ammo, for my handguns anyways. I don't like the harder "military" style primers mainly, plus in 9mm, the cost savings over brass cased ammo is almost nothing.

·
Registered
24,943 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota.

·
Registered
16,494 Posts
Welcome from South Texas. Some people buy the recoil assembly just as a spare, some just don't like the plastic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a sporting goods associate at a Walmart. If you ask for any steel ammo, I make sure that you are aware that ti is steel cased. If you are, I'm happy to sell you all you want to buy. If you aren't aware or haven't run it through your gun before, I'll suggest purchasing different ammo--unless you want to try a box to see if your gun likes it.
Welcome to the forum OP! Happy to hear your new pistol is running good for you. I tend to stay away from steel-cased ammo, for my handguns anyways. I don't like the harder "military" style primers mainly, plus in 9mm, the cost savings over brass cased ammo is almost nothing.
Thanks guys! I actually bought a box of the steel forged, Winchester white box, Remington umc, Blazer brass, pmc bronze, magtech, American eagle and armscore just to see what ammo the gun liked best. Turns out that it loves everything! Im going to stay away from the forged only because it was the only ammo I had any issue with at all. I'll probably stick with the umc for range ammo because it worked great and is cheapest!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks guys! I actually bought a box of the steel forged, Winchester white box, Remington umc, Blazer brass, pmc bronze, magtech, American eagle and armscore just to see what ammo the gun liked best. Turns out that it loves everything! Im going to stay away from the forged only because it was the only ammo I had any issue with at all. I'll probably stick with the umc for range ammo because it worked great and is cheapest!
federal is the cheapest here in southern kentucky, $7.97 for 50, $14.97 for 100, and $28.97 for 200rds. umc is about $1 more. i have mostly federal but did find zqi 124 grain on clearance for $5 a 50 rds and bought several of them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow! That Forged WW crap is the only thing that can clug up my G17! Never had a FTF with anything besides that. Had to break the G17 and magazines down and did a deep cleaning to get the powder and funk out of it.

BTW, hello from Southern Illinois!

Just buy more mags for your G2C and keep shooting.

Lefty

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
The clicking I'm talking about is not so much heard, as it is felt in your finger. My first G2 had such a distinctive click that friends that tried it and felt the click, thought that it failed to fire. I'd have to tell them to keep pulling.
The G2 and G2C have a long trigger pull. That is because it also has a Second-Strike feature. Most semi-auto handgun are single-action only. If the round doesn't fire, you have to rack the slide by hand to put another round in the chamber, and cock the hammer (or striker).
With the G2 and G2C you can pull the trigger again and strike on the same round. I use a lot of reloads at the range, and occasionally I have a Failure to Fire (FTF). I have found that if a round doesn't fire, it fires on the second strike about 75% of the time.
If you rack the slide and pull the trigger, then pull the trigger again, you'll notice that the trigger linkage engages sooner as it pulls the striker back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hard To Beat The G2C

People keep saying that the G2C is a ogun for the money but I think it's much better than that. In my opinion, when all things are considered, it has to be the best buy in a 9mm semi-automatic on the market tody. it's the only enrty level priced pistol that I would consider a keeper. You can buy more guns but there shouldn't ever be reason to sell the G2C.

With it's 12 rounds and the restrike feature which you can use endlessly for dry fire practice with a barrel laser this gun is in a class of it's own.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have 2 G2cs and they are both very reliable. I have never experienced a failure with these pistols.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another peculiarity of the G2/G2C is a “click” in the trigger. You may have noticed it as you pull the trigger back, but before it releases. I think this is caused by the Trigger-blade safety not getting completely out of the way, and rubbing against something as you pull the trigger back. This click is more pronounced in some guns than others. My first G2 had a very distinctive click, but my second G2 had no click at all. I was hoping that Taurus would have fixed this problem, but my new G2C has the click too. I fixed the clicking problem by tying back the trigger-blade safety with a zip-tie, and then heating the trigger with a hair dryer. I let it set for a week with the zip-tie on it, and then I removed the zip-tie. Now the triggers on both of these guns work beautifully.
I did get a Lakeline stainless steel recoil spring, and I put it on whichever of these guns that I carry. At the range I use the Taurus springs, but I want a little more reliability on the gun that I carry.
In my opinion this is a very good gun,especially for the price. If it had a decocker it would be perfect!
Welcome aboard, from Las Vegas!
I am very interested in this fix. When I bought mine, I took it to a local indoor range and the click was bad enough I thought it was a FTF as well. I almost returned it. Do you have a walk through on what you did?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you all so much for the replies and suggestions! I worked a little over time this past weekend so I had some extra dollars and went a head and ordered the guide rod and the striker guide. When they arrive, I'll do my best to go out and shoot a bit, then install one, shoot some more and install the other and see what differences (if any) that I notice! More than anything. I like having the stainless parts in there, but more than anything, I just like modifying things!
I'm excited for it!
Now knowing what click to look for, I'll think about it when I shoot and see. Like I said, I have nothing to really compare this gun to so everything it has done, I assumed was normal. So I'll pay more attention next time I'm out!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts