Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new G2C August 5th. I have shot around 100 rounds of ammo through it. Blazer Brass and Winchester White Box. It has probably misfired 20 times. I don't know much about pistols. I don't think it's the ammo. I'm thinking something is wrong with the pistol? My carry permit will be in this week and this the only pistol I have. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Welcome from PA.
We need more info to help, but as OsbornK said, if you haven't cleaned it do so.
I prefer Breakfree CLP as it will clean it of gunk and lubricate at the same time. It is possible that the striker channel has gunk in it. The gunk could lead to a light strike on the primer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have looked at the misfired ammo and I'm not seeing a indention or any kind of mark. All the ammo looks the same. I have tried cleaning it. I have watched a couple YouTube videos on cleaning. It seemed to be worse right after cleaning it. A misfire every other fire. It did get better after going through a couple magazines. It seems to be worse with the Winchester White Box ammo that the Blazer Brass. I will post some pics when I get home. Thanks

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
Bought a new G2C August 5th. I have shot around 100 rounds of ammo through it. Blazer Brass and Winchester White Box. It has probably misfired 20 times. I don't know much about pistols. I don't think it's the ammo. I'm thinking something is wrong with the pistol? My carry permit will be in this week and this the only pistol I have. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Modern ammunition is almost never a problem.
is the ammunition going fully into battery (in other words is the slide completely closing on the chambered round?)
if so then I would bet it not a ammunition problem.
so for me its down to a firearm problem, likely in the striker system somewhere, have you cleaned the weapon well?
to remove any operator error possibility let a knowledgeable friend or range employee fire the weapon and see what the results are.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A friend is going is going to shoot it at the range this week. He has the G2C and knows alot more about pistols than I do. I have cleaned it. Not sure if I did a good job or not? It is a new pistol, would it need to be cleaned? On the misfires , nothing happens when I pull the trigger. When that happens I drop the magazine and remove the misfired ammo and start over again. The manual says to just pull the trigger again. My knowledge friends say that is very dangerous. Never pull the trigger again. Why is that even in the manual??

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
A friend is going is going to shoot it at the range this week. He has the G2C and knows alot more about pistols than I do. I have cleaned it. Not sure if I did a good job or not? It is a new pistol, would it need to be cleaned? On the misfires , nothing happens when I pull the trigger. When that happens I drop the magazine and remove the misfired ammo and start over again. The manual says to just pull the trigger again. My knowledge friends say that is very dangerous. Never pull the trigger again. Why is that even in the manual??
well some Taurus have a second strike ability, IE the trigger can be pulled and it will drop the striker again.
I understand what your friend says and yes this can be dangerous IF you incur a squib, you need to learn what a squib is for your and your weapons safety.
unfortunately Taurus has a reputation for being heavily lubed Or preservative and this often contributes to many function problems.
see how it goes with the buddy operating the gun and go from there.
there really isn't many problems the guys/girls here have not encountered with the guns , so they /we can assist to a certain point.
good luck.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! Could you provide pictures of the primers of the misfired brass and of the brass that fired. I have had numerous fail to fires using the White Box and have never used Blazer.. A good cleaning my do the trick...
View attachment 445547
Same here..........have a PT111 G2 that has had 3 failures to fire over the years. First time I just did the '2nd strike' and it fired. Next two times I checked the primers first. Both had decent dents in them. One round fired when I loaded it again, the 2nd one never did fire. All 3 were White Box. I am not overly concerned since that is just some of my target ammo but I haven't experienced any issues with Federal or other brands that I have tried (at least not yet).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Windchester white box is by far the worst ammo I have ever purchased. I will never ever buy white box again. The CCI blazer on the other hand has been flawless so I don't believe your problem is ammo related. I would pull the slide and check the underside with a magnifying glass to see if there any cracks or damage to the metal on either side of the striker spring.

·
Administrator
36,037 Posts
Welcome to the forum ! I agree that you should give it a good cleaning, however you also need to just put more rounds through it. I went to the range the other day and my son shot his brand new G2S and we encountered quite a few issues as well, the slide failed to go all the way into battery, failure to fires, quite a few things going on, but 200 rounds later, it was running pretty smoothly and things were loosening up well. The gun was pretty tight when he got it and I think it just needs to be fired quite a bit before it's ready to be carried in combat. I would consider putting a few hundred more rounds through it before you take it to a CHL class, if I were you. ;)

·
Registered
37,946 Posts
Windchester white box is by far the worst ammo I have ever purchased. I will never ever buy white box again. The CCI blazer on the other hand has been flawless so I don't believe your problem is ammo related. I would pull the slide and check the underside with a magnifying glass to see if there any cracks or damage to the metal on either side of the striker spring.
I never could get this new Speer Blazer 45ACP round to fire!
I tried it in 10 of my 1911, tried it in my CZ 97 BD and still it would not fire!
It happens folks, even in the best of ammo, that's why clearance practice is important.
I am truly surprised that we don't see a lot more bad factory ammo at the rates they produce this stuff to be honest.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I got a new G2C last February, and initially had a problem with it not "Returning to Battery"; meaning that it would eject the spent shell ok, and load the next round from the magazine, but the slide would not return to a full-forward "seated" position. The slide would hang about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch back from full forward. This prevented the gun from firing the next round.
I could pop the slide forward by hitting the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and shoot the next round, but that's not a good remedy.
It appeared that the tolerance between the barrel and the slide was just a skosh too tight. I fixed it by polishing the outside of the barrel with rubbing compound. I rubbed it down as best I could, and it gave the outside of the barrel a smoother feel. Haven't had a misfire since.

·
Administrator
36,037 Posts
I got a new G2C last February, and initially had a problem with it not "Returning to Battery"; meaning that it would eject the spent shell ok, and load the next round from the magazine, but the slide would not return to a full-forward "seated" position. The slide would hang about 1/8th to 1/4th of an inch back from full forward. This prevented the gun from firing the next round.
I could pop the slide forward by hitting the back of the slide with the palm of my hand, and shoot the next round, but that's not a good remedy.
It appeared that the tolerance between the barrel and the slide was just a skosh too tight. I fixed it by polishing the outside of the barrel with rubbing compound. I rubbed it down as best I could, and it gave the outside of the barrel a smoother feel. Haven't had a misfire since.
Same story with my son's G2S. Smacked the back of the slide, kept shooting. Ran 250-300 rounds through it, and by the end of the range session, it was cycling just fine. Will take it back soon to make sure its wearing in nicely, but I wouldn't count on anything until it has 500-1000 rounds down the barrel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Shot 2 magazines Saturday. Had 1 Misfire with Winchester White Box. The first magazine had zero misfires. Only the second time I have shot a magazine with no Misfires.Just now shot another magazine with Federal American Eagle. It's the first time I have used this ammo. I had one misfire. Here is the pic of the misfired round. Doesn't look like it was hit???

Attachments

·
Registered
15,167 Posts
Do you have a Rural King in your area?

They have Armscor 115 grain FMJ for $8.79 a box. It works better than WWB for me.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts