Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll upload photos showing the current out of battery condition of this new G2c. Purchased December 2020 but due to the ammo shortage it has only been to the range twice with no prior issues with fed or ejection.

GENERAL BACKGROUND

This is my 3rd G2c and my fifth Taurus firearm. I've been generally pleased with the function and utility of Taurus products which include the three aforementioned 9mm G2cs, the PT709 Slim (my EDC) 9mm the Spectrum .380 ACP.

From prior experience, it is my practice to thoroughly clean every NIB purchase as I've found they don't run well without an initial cleaning. This 3rd purchase ran well the first time on the range and received a typical cleaning before storage.

FEED JAM WITH RESULTING OUT OF BATTERY CONDITION AND "FROZEN" SLIDE

On December 11th I took my girlfriend out to the range (she's a shooter!) and we ran 3 magazines through this G2c (24 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm Luger and one 12 round magazine of reloads (brass casings-- from a Federally licensed reloader with whom I've had prior dealings) with no issues. I went to reload with a new magazine (don't recall whether this magazine was "factory fresh" or reloads) and when I racked the firearm there was a misfeed. I dropped the magazine and attempted to eject round only to find that the slide is completely frozen in position with the slide allowing exactly zero movement. As you'll see from the photos the round is barely visible with a small 1-2mm gap between the ejector port and the slide. This round is stuck and a close exam of the photo reveals that the round is in the proper orientation as you can distinguish the ejector groove of the head of the bullet.

I've filed a repair issue online with Taurus. After filing the repair inquiry the website opened a page on issues regarding delivery/returns/and return to owner between the owner and Taurus. Specifically, due to various federal regulations governing the transport of firearms, Taurus stated that it will not take delivery of any firearm that is loaded. That poses an obvious problem for a warranty return. Frankly this doesn't appear to me to be a load issue as all of the cartridges were loaded by me and either were factory loads from a reputable ammunition manufacturer or were reloads from a reliable, licensed source. This leaves either a design defect or a manufacturing defect as the problem -- both warranty issues.

Because of the prohibition on loaded firearms being transported via otherwise legal common carriers, I called Taurus. After holding for 20 minutes I finally got customer service and after explaining the situation and the dilemma about any warranty return the Taurus representative said: "because you have a loaded firearm I must hang up." I was slightly irritated as you can imagine explaining that "yes, the firearm is indeed loaded... and locked in my gun safe in another area of my home far from my reach." I explained this several times but common sense appears to have no sway in 2022 as it was unavailing and she terminated the phone call. I'm slightly pissed.

Regardless of the obstinance of Taurus and their customer service my goal is to clear the jam WITHOUT DAMAGING the firearm. Despite my 2-week armors' course way back in 1980 with the 18th Airborne Corp I'm out of my depth in trying to resolve this without some help. I could take this to a gunsmith but these striker-fired firearms are lots of plastic parts and prone to breakage I would assume and it appears to me, without more, that this a warranty issue. Thoughts and prior experience would be helpful at this point.

Mark Fisher a/k/a Gatortrapper
Central Florida
Rectangle Grey Electric blue Composite material Font
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory
Tire Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber Wheel
Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Composite material Rim
Rectangle Grey Font Building Fashion accessory
Rectangle Grey Electric blue Composite material Font

Rectangle Grey Font Building Fashion accessory

Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior Composite material Rim

Tire Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber Wheel

Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
39,308 Posts
Shouldn't the barrel be projecting more from the slide if not in battery? The gunsmith is probably the only safe answer for you at this point. I would call around to find one who will take on the job after you describe what the problem is.

I had my PT92 jam due to a cracked locking block and I was sure that there was a live round in the chamber. My LGS where I left it examined it closer and found that it was a spent case in the chamber and I was able to send it to Taurus. Not saying that an eyeball examination should be done due to the dangerous nature of a live round in a gun if that is the case. Maybe a dental mirror could work?

I think that the obvious answer is to force the slide open and with the risk involved I'd left a 'smith do that operation.

Good luck and keep up updated since it could help another down the line.

Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois and congratulations on finding a GF who shares the love of firearms!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm currently going through the same thing with a Ruger SR40. Looked the same until I finally was able to beat the slide forward. Problem is it still wouldn't fire. And yes it's a loaded round, I used Czechbikr's method with a dental mirror. Only one semi local gunsmith will look at it because it's loaded with a live round and I haven't had time to get it down there yet. Good luck.

·
Administrator
41,060 Posts
I recently used that video method on a 1911. I was reloading with some new bullets, which turned out to have a longer shoulder than I’ve previously had. Result was a stuck cartridge when I checked fitment. I always load a couple of rounds, then try one.
Solved the issue after getting the round free by a small seating depth adjustment.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My new g3c locked up in the exact same out of battery position. Lacking about a 1/4 in. going into full battery. It got to do it at least one time out of each mag. Except, I was able to knock it forward with the palm of my hand. Try holding in a safe position and "knock" the crap out of it with your palm on the back end of slide.
I don't think your gonna hit it hard enough to break anything. But if you do, so be it. At least you can get started down the repair road from there.
Mine was a feed problem with some ammo, but not all. Remington and Federal worked great but not so with several other brands. I closely inspected mine over and over again and never found anything wrong. The ramp and chamber seemed slick with no burs or any reason for fail.
Someone told me to try Flitz on the ramp, chamber and outside of barrel. So I did using a felt tipped tool in a slow drill and flitz. Only a few seconds with the drill. I polished the outside of barrel by hand. Never had any more problems. Flitz is Not abrasive so should be no problems with warranty. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
6,458 Posts
try the karate chop method. it usually works well with stuck cases like that.
That video is a great tip, worthy of a bookmark. Hopefully OP can safely try that and report back. This board is full of great advice!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
A few years ago I had a G2C that occasionally failed to return to battery. Here's what I wrote back then:

I got a new G2C in February of 2018. As I always do with a new gun, I cleaned and lubed it, and made sure everything was in working order. The first time I took the G2C to the range I had no problems; everything worked, no jams at all. I took it home and cleaned it up again. The second time to the range it started having problems. I let a friend who came to the range with me, and was new to handguns, try it out. After a couple magazines, the G2C started to jam. At first I thought my friend was limp-wristing it, so I shot it myself. Sure enough, it was jamming on me too.

On closer examination, I found that the slide was not fully "Returning to Battery"; meaning that it would eject the spent shell ok, but as it slid the next round into the chamber, the slide would stop about a quarter of an inch short of a full forward, fully closed, “seated” position. This prevented the gun from firing the next round. I could pop the slide forward by hitting the back of the slide with the palm of my hand and shoot the next round, but that's not a good remedy; and it is totally UNSAT for a carry weapon!!!

When I got it home, I broke it down again and gave it another thorough cleaning, and examination. I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the recoil spring, or maybe the slide guides were bent, but everything seemed ok. Then I closely compared the G2C with my slightly older PT-111 G2. The PT-111 G2 is an earlier version of the G2C and G2S. On comparison I noticed that the exterior of the barrel on the G2C was not quite as smooth as the G2. The G2 barrel seemed smooth and polished, whereas the G2C was a little rough and unfinished. It also appeared that the tolerance between the muzzle of the barrel and the slide was just a skosh too tight. I took some rubbing compound, and polished the outside of the barrel. I rubbed it down as best I could, especially near the front where the barrel flairs out and slips into the front of the slide. When I finished, it still wasn't as polished as the G2, but it was much smoother than it was before.

I lubed it again, and even put a little gun grease on the outside of the barrel where it flairs out. I took it to the range, and shot 200 rounds through it without a hitch. I've taken it to the range several more times, and haven't had a misfire since. Now my G2C is a dependable carry weapon.

It's hard to tell if your G2C is jammed on the barrel, or the round. I didn't have that hard of a problem unjamming my G2C.
The video that PNWG3 recommended is pretty good if the slide won't come back, but make sure that the weapon is pointed someplace safe when you try that.
Czechbikr thinks that the barrel should be sticking out the front more, but on my G2C's the barrel comes back with the slide about a quarter inch before the barrel stops and the slide continues back.
Hope you find something here that helps.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
That looks like a brass sizing issue. The brass is out of spec. The round will not feed all the way into the chamber. Would grip the slide like video describes and give the rear grip of frame a smack with rubber hammer pointed in safe direction. When round is free from chamber check your extractor to make sure it is ok.

·
9,362 Posts
First, Welcome aboard from NW Arkansas. Yep that is quite a jam. Sometimes those brass cases get so bent up that they almost become part of the barrel. Brass is weaker than steel, so when I work on that situation..I use a hard rubber dead blow hammer on the back of the slide, with the barrel pointed into a clearance bucket, or down range..Hold the lower very firmly as the round may ignite. Then will have some inspection needed to see if any action parts were damaged, or need cleaning. I live in far NW Arkansas and have had to deal with this issue with some of my customers/friends pistols,,Dang reloader's... 🥴 . If you live close enough, I would be glad to fix it..Otherwise just call around to your local LGS's and find one who will be willing to clear a round. My fav LGS deals with this often as well. Always seems to be S&W SD9's or Ruger LC9's.

Reactions: Gatortrapper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tried the "karate chop" solution and that worked, to my utter amazement, the very first time I tried it. Totally stunned that despite the force applied to work the slide it wouldn't budge yet the rather minimal "stab" using the method you described immediately released the vise grip like lock on the cartridge and it cycled easily to eject the round. It would appear (visually as I haven't calipers handy to measure) that it is a case that is out of spec that was reloaded. Great trick to know of going forward and appreciate the suggestion. Thank you.

Mark Fisher a/k/a Gatortrapper

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, Welcome aboard from NW Arkansas. Yep that is quite a jam. Sometimes those brass cases get so bent up that they almost become part of the barrel. Brass is weaker than steel, so when I work on that situation..I use a hard rubber dead blow hammer on the back of the slide, with the barrel pointed into a clearance bucket, or down range..Hold the lower very firmly as the round may ignite. Then will have some inspection needed to see if any action parts were damaged, or need cleaning. I live in far NW Arkansas and have had to deal with this issue with some of my customers/friends pistols,,Dang reloader's... 🥴 . If you live close enough, I would be glad to fix it..Otherwise just call around to your local LGS's and find one who will be willing to clear a round. My fav LGS deals with this often as well. Always seems to be S&W SD9's or Ruger LC9's.
As noted elsewhere, the Karate Chop worked... almost too easily. I greatly appreciate the kind offer of assistance and look forward to visiting Arkansas some day. On my bucket list to hit the diamond mine there one day and I understand that it's a beautiful state. Obviously the people (perhaps with some exceptions in politics) are super nice. Odd how the really nice states are all saddled with negative reputations. I'm beginning to believe y'all do that on purpose to keep yankees out.

MFF

·
Super Moderator
39,308 Posts
This Yankee is moving South as I am sick and tired of the regulation and onerous taxes here. I'll fight to keep them from making the same mistakes that spoiled this state. Congratulations on getting your pistol fixed , stick around as there's a bunch of great people and all manner of discussion and ideas!

·
Registered
110 Posts
This Yankee is moving South as I am sick and tired of the regulation and onerous taxes here. I'll fight to keep them from making the same mistakes that spoiled this state. Congratulations on getting your pistol fixed , stick around as there's a bunch of great people and all manner of discussion and ideas!
Welcome to the south Yankee. Just one favor please. Check your luggage before you leave to be sure that none of those regulations, onerous taxes or the politicians that "thunk" them up are hidden there. It's a constant battle to keep them from worming their slimy way into our states.

·
Super Moderator
39,308 Posts
Welcome to the south Yankee. Just one favor please. Check your luggage before you leave to be sure that none of those regulations, onerous taxes or the politicians that "thunk" them up are hidden there. It's a constant battle to keep them from worming their slimy way into our states.
Trust me, my wife and I are solid Conservatives who subscribe to the Constitution and believe that Central government control is anathema to the Founder's intent.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
I find it hard to believe that a gunsmith would have any issue clearing that jam for you.
actually if you can lock the slide in a vise, muzzle pointed in a safe direction preferabally with a backstop you should be able to slap the grip hard enough to fairly easily unstick that round, just be sure that you are not at anytime in front of the barrel---and try this at your own risk--you know that old disclaimer thing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts